Tournament Champions

You feel you can logically defend the idea of Eyescream defeating Superman then this is the place to do it.

Moderators: Foxy Shazam, jaxthejester, Tavern Master Brewer, Foxy Shazam, jaxthejester, Tavern Master Brewer

Tournament Champions

Thinkerer
Kree

03 May 2017, 07:00 #1

As with the draft champions topic, it would be nice to see which character has won particular kinds of tournaments as well. I haven't looked up who has won what yet, that requires some digging, but it might be fun to recall.

Giraffe of Hearts
Cosmic Being

07 May 2017, 04:07 #2

Agreed, I'm all for keeping things more organized and being able to access some of our blasts from the past. I can see right away what the biggest task is going to be, and it's not finding the main tourney threads themselves. It's the fact that each tournament is spread out over approximately the same number of threads as there are combatants. For example, 16 combatants get deliberated upon and arranged in a starting thread, followed by 8 fights in Round One, 4 fights in Round Two, 2 semi-final fights, & 1 final fight, for a total of 16 separate threads that comprise the whole shebang. Sometimes these threads can still be located within a few pages of one another, but sometimes a lot of distance has formed between the latest & earliest parts.

There are two possible solutions to this problem (as I see it), to make a given tourney more readable...but both require the time & effort of tracking down every related match so that the threads can all be pulled together. The most obvious would be to copy the URL links (or create hyperlinks) of every "sub-thread", organize them into a bracket-style master list, and then edit the main thread's OP so as to include this info. An alternative would be to literally quote (or copy/paste) the entirety of every sub-thread into the body of the main thread, turning it into a massive one-stop, one-shop affair. I'd recommend the first option...when you add a list of links to the opening post, it would also be a chance to spiff it up and make it more presentable. Maybe even add an introduction or summary, idk.

Anyways, I skimmed through the Vs. Boards and found what I believe are all of the main tournaments...you're welcome. This counts as your next 2 birthday & X-Mas presents. There were two threads passed by that didn't seem to get as far as finalizing rosters and setting up matches, a Martial Arts Tournament & a Wrestling Tournament. Betcha both would be worth revisiting, someday. There were also two concepts that involved sequential threads, but didn't follow the traditional round-by-round elimination format: Beta Ray Bill: Rock'm Sock'm and Marvel Characters Vs. Game Characters. The rest of my findings are below.

Military/Merc/Terrorist Tourney
Reptilian Tournament
DC Magic Girls Tournament
Katana Tournament
Jobber Tournament
Marvel Magic Girls Tournament
Protégés Tournament
Most Powerful Woman Tournament
Bridge Character Tournament
Batman Succession Tournament
Power Items Tournament
Supermen Tournament
Winged Tournament
Marvel Teams Tournament
Monsters & Savages Tournament
Hell Lord Tournament
Gladiators Tournament
Swordfighters Tournament
Classic Villain Team-Up Tournament
Medium-Level Bricks Cage Fight Tournament
Villain Tournament

EDIT: Thank you for pinning this thread, magical thread-pinning fairies who come in the night. A couple afterthoughts occurred to me, the first directed at anybody who's visiting these past tourneys. PLEASE do not add any new posts (if you're so inclined) and consequently bump those old threads...at least not until this project is completed. As it stands, the date stamp of each final post is the only way to narrow down that thread's location amongst the 80-some pages that make up these Versus boards. And once a main thread is located, it becomes the reference point from which to find the multitude of related sub-threads (usually within a few pages after & a few pages before the main one). In fact, anybody else who's feeling ambitious (and generous with their time) would be more than welcome to help out with the research. Just post & identify the sub-thread URLs you find right here, ideally in some kind of order (Round 1's, Round 2's, Semis, etc.).

My other thought comes with an eye towards future tournaments, and maybe it goes without saying. IMHO, going forward it would be wise to start filling the OP with links to the various sub-threads, at the same time those threads are being created. Just to stay ahead of it, y'know? That could even be done with the current Military/Merc/Terrorist Tourney (if so desired).
"We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good,
something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III

:thanosinfinity:

[WW] Gender Equality: Help empower women/girls

An Ri Leon
Kree

08 May 2017, 03:18 #3

It should be noted the DC Magic Girls tournament just fizzled up and died. Thinker was the only one who was consistently responding and voting. Granted I went a little obscure with the characters but compared to the Marvel Magic Girls Tournament there was practically no responses even on matches with known characters.
The poster formerly known as Bwana Simba

An Ri Leon
Kree

17 Sep 2017, 19:52 #4

So this thread kind of died.
The poster formerly known as Bwana Simba

Thinkerer
Kree

17 Sep 2017, 21:41 #5

Yeah I still have to get this done.

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

21 Nov 2017, 02:52 #6

Can we un-pin this to make room up top, or is still a live thread?
When all other factors and possibilities have been eliminated from the equation; Whatever remains, regardless of how improbable it may be, is inevitably the truth.