Promoting Your Fan-fics

This area is for mature level stories to include sex, drugs, alcohol, cursing, violence and death.
Hell even all ages stories are welcome.

Moderators: Feral Female, Feral Female

Promoting Your Fan-fics

kacangpool
Living Tribunal
kacangpool
Living Tribunal

17 Mar 2009, 09:00 #1

we want more members here to read your fan-fics. that said we are open to suggestions to improve readership.

we can do our bit, we can provide banners (like the ones at the top of the page) linking to your threads. we've done this before for feral and en. so do drop us a note, and maybe we can arrange with our artists to work on / create your banners.

other ideas that we've tried include featuring some of your works on our newsletters, we also had a writing challenge sometime last year. we could work on regular polls for best fan-fics, youtube promos like we are doing for our webcomics, etc.

we really need your suggestions, so don't hesitate to share with us. thanks.

26 Mar 2009, 09:09 #2

Those are all great ideas KC. The polls would be a way of sparking interest and getting people down here to read. Another writing comp. with open voting is also a good way to get members familiar with the many talented scribes here and thier styles.

I`ll keep pondering.

comixkid2099
Living Tribunal
comixkid2099
Living Tribunal

27 Mar 2009, 02:44 #3

i think a large part of it is taste. If it is a story that doesn't interest me, then i am not likely to read it. Which is why comics like Epileptic or Jimmy Corrigan just don't click with me. Fortunately, since 99% of the tavern populace are comic book fans, specifically superhero fans, then it is really just a matter of exposure, like you've already pointed out.

When i still wrote fan fics at marvel, i noticed that many people would only read a fan fic if they were asked to. Likewise some people would actively seek out people to recruit into reading their fics. I don't think we should do that because it could venture down the path of spam very quickly.

Furthermore (i'll make this short so it doesn't look like i'm rambling.) we should all do our part when we're asked to read a fan fic. If we read a story, the worst thing we can do is stroke the writer's ego. We need to do our best to tell them what needs work, what was done well, and what could use improvement. Since none of us are professionals, we're not perfect. Everyone's technique could use tweaking. Heck, even pros aren't perfect.

kacangpool
Living Tribunal
kacangpool
Living Tribunal

27 Mar 2009, 03:51 #4

that's good feedback, ck. we tend to cut some slack seeing most fan-fic writers aren't full time professionals. also we read only to enjoy the story of fellow fans and not to nitpick about writing techique and stuff. that's prolly what the writers expect, likely the reason why many aren't too critical.

what you wrote has merit though. i've been to writing sites where the focus is to help the aspiring writers improve their craft. as you've suggested, on such forums the more experienced members give critical reviews with the intention of getting stories good enough to be published.

maybe we can add some bit of that here. at the very least, it would encourage interaction between writers and readers. giving the right exposure so that other members read the work here is the difficult part, how to interest them to want to read.

31 Mar 2009, 09:21 #5

Thats a very good point CK makes. Over at the Repos thats our goal- to help each other become better writers with honest well-intentioned comments. If you check the numbers here you`ll see a good number of stories are read but scant few readers take time to leave comments.

Of course that being said not all stories appeal to everyone of course but without feedback we writers can`t know what we`re doing right or wrong. Feedback is crucial to an aspiring writer since we don`t have sales figures to tell us what the readers like.

KC though has the hit the hardest nail on the head, encouraging people to take the time to read. Its a problem thats world-wide sadly, but like CK pointed out the majority of us are comic fans and so should be thrilled to get free tales of our favorite heroes. Not that any of this is a solution but perhaps if the members read this dialog they`ll see how important thier thoughts are to the fledgling scribes here.

moonknight321
Superpowered Human
moonknight321
Superpowered Human

15 Oct 2013, 16:04 #6

Would it be possible for the Outstanding Universe to get its own forum under the Writer's Guild and Fan-Fics heading like Big Thunder and Feral? It'd be helpful to keep everything organized for us and keep the Outstanding stories from flooding the normal forums.

05 Nov 2013, 02:38 #7

kacangpool @ Mar 17 2009, 03:00 AM wrote: we want more members here to read your fan-fics. that said we are open to suggestions to improve readership.

we can do our bit, we can provide banners (like the ones at the top of the page) linking to your threads. we've done this before for feral and en. so do drop us a note, and maybe we can arrange with our artists to work on / create your banners.

other ideas that we've tried include featuring some of your works on our newsletters, we also had a writing challenge sometime last year. we could work on regular polls for best fan-fics, youtube promos like we are doing for our webcomics, etc.

I would be honored if you'd check out my fanfic- The Balance of Power:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comi ... =11463&hl=

I always wanted a poster of my story, something akin to one of my favorite Hullk comic covers by Carlo Pagulayan.

I'm not one for promoting my works of fiction, but I must confess that I would love it if more people were to read it.

'Tis good to have some support and inspiration from fellow readers and writers.

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

05 Nov 2013, 06:40 #8

GreenScar1990 @ Nov 4 2013, 06:38 PM wrote:
kacangpool @ Mar 17 2009, 03:00 AM wrote: we want more members here to read your fan-fics. that said we are open to suggestions to improve readership.

I would be honored if you'd check out my fanfic- The Balance of Power:

I always wanted a poster of my story, something akin to one of my favorite Hullk comic covers by Carlo Pagulayan.

I'm not one for promoting my works of fiction, but I must confess that I would love it if more people were to read it.

'Tis good to have some support and inspiration from fellow readers and writers.
I read it over the weekend- great stuff, Green!

I posted this in the Daily Threads earlier, but it fits better here:

I did just read a couple of new things this weekend! happyy.gif

First was a bit of Fan Fic from Greenscar1990.
He has a running Hulk storyline going called "The Balance of Power" over in the Fan Fic section. I'm digging it.
It brings in a cross-over element from the Avatar genre (the Benders, not the blue Aliens icon_mrgreen.gif ) and drops it into the Pak/Green Scar Hulk genre.

The Fan Fic section is really booming right now. There's some great stuff being put out by our fine friends here at The Tavern.

[happy]

I'll post a full review via your link shortly bud.

Nicely done!

:thbsup:
When all other factors and possibilities have been eliminated from the equation; Whatever remains, regardless of how improbable it may be, is inevitably the truth.

06 Nov 2013, 21:20 #9

jaxthejester @ Nov 5 2013, 12:40 AM wrote: I read it over the weekend- great stuff, Green!

I posted this in the Daily Threads earlier, but it fits better here:

I did just read a couple of new things this weekend! happyy.gif

First was a bit of Fan Fic from Greenscar1990.
He has a running Hulk storyline going called "The Balance of Power" over in the Fan Fic section. I'm digging it.
It brings in a cross-over element from the Avatar genre (the Benders, not the blue Aliens icon_mrgreen.gif ) and drops it into the Pak/Green Scar Hulk genre.

The Fan Fic section is really booming right now. There's some great stuff being put out by our fine friends here at The Tavern.

[happy]

I'll post a full review via your link shortly bud.

Nicely done!

:thbsup:
Thanks, mate!

Here's hoping for the best.

Speaking of the Hulk, we've got 'Indestructible Hulk #15' coming out next week and 'Infinity #6' being released November 20th!

It looks like we'll be getting some major Hulk action in the next few weeks!

:hulk-static: