November Writing Competition

A great opportunity for writers to showcase their talent.

Moderators: Feral Female, Miles_Warren, Feral Female, Miles_Warren

November Writing Competition

Miles_Warren
Eternal

02 Nov 2015, 14:27 #1

Welcome to the November writing competition :guitar: Please read the rules before entering

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comi ... opic=11460

Some important info for this month:

1) Entrants have until November 26th 4pm EST to submit an entry for the competition

2) Voting will then open for entrants before closing on November 28th 4pm EST

3) Voting for non-entrants will then open before closing on November 29th 4pm EST

Best of luck to all entrants

Miles_Warren
Eternal

02 Nov 2015, 14:30 #2

Can't believe the writing competition is no 2 years old this month :hi5:

Eternal Nightmare
Celestial

08 Nov 2015, 22:46 #3

If I remember correctly, I place the story here.

This story is based on the 90's X-Men cartoon.

Maid Domo

X-Men characters belong to their rightful owners and not to me.

''Spiral! Major Domo! I have to think of a way to boost television ratings now!'' Mojo said. His eyes were wide as he paced back and forth in
a small room. He began to bite his nails. Mojo glanced at the two slaves.

''How about the X-Men, O' Master of Ratings? The X-Men are quite well-liked in various dimensions,'' Major Domo muttered.

Mojo grinned before he focused on Major Domo and Spiral. ''You and Major Domo can capture the X-Men before you bring them to me.
The X-Men will star in horror movies!'' he said. He viewed Major Domo's eyes widening.

''Master, I am a mere android. I do not have unique abilities such as teleporting and casting spells like Spiral. I'm helpless,'' Major Domo
said to Mojo. He shook his head in disbelief. ''The X-Men will defeat me with ridiculous ease. They might end my life,'' he added.

''Spiral will protect you,'' Mojo said.

Major Domo faced Spiral before she scowled. ''That's what I'm afraid of,'' he muttered. He wondered if Spiral thought he was helpless.
Perhaps she usually liked working alone.

Spiral moved all six arms up and down as she danced. Six energy blasts departed from her palms and combined to form a large portal.
She stopped dancing.

''Ladies first,'' Major Domo said to Spiral. His eyes became wide again after Spiral took his sleeve and threw him into the portal.
He eventually found himself out of the portal and in the yard of the X-Men. Major Domo looked back. He watched as Spiral stepped out of the portal.
Major Domo stood while Spiral gestured and closed the portal.

''How are we going to capture the X-Men for our master? Are you going to teleport and trap the X-Men in their home before you use a spell to
transport them to Mojo's dimension, Spiral?''

A cruel grin formed on Spiral's face. ''No. Let's try something new. Something different,'' she said.

Worry began to fill Major Domo's eyes as he frowned. ''I'm not sure I like those words.'' He was aware of how unpredictable Spiral was at
times. Major Domo stepped back.

Spiral danced while she gestured with every arm again. Four energy blasts came out of four palms. They contacted Major Domo before they
turned his green and black cloak into a maid outfit. Spiral grinned at Major Domo's wide eyes after her dance stopped.

Major Domo focused on his black stocking-clad legs. His short dress happened to be black and white. He wore simple black shoes and a white
cap on his head. His long hair was loose and no longer in a usual ponytail. Long gloves concealed Major Domo's hands. All he needed was a feather
duster.

''Maid Domo, you are going to enter the home of the X-Men and distract them for ten minutes. I'll wait here until I teleport and capture
the X-Men. I guess you're wondering why I'm not teleporting into the home of the X-Men this instant. Seeing you in a maid outfit is interesting.''

Maid Domo began to scowl at Spiral. ''I am not going to appear to the X-Men looking like this.'' He watched as Spiral frowned and took
two swords out of the cases on her belt. He gasped after the blades touched his face. ''Very well. I'll serve the X-Men. At least teleport me
into their mansion.''

Spiral returned the swords to the cases. She moved three hands up and down until energy emerged from them. Energy struck Maid Domo and
teleported him into the mansion.

Maid Domo found himself in a living room. There weren't any X-Men so far. *Perhaps the X-Men are battling another enemy other than
*Mojo he thought.

Jubilee walked out of the kitchen after a snack. Her eyes became wide at the sight of Maid Domo. ''When did we get a maid?'' she muttered.
Jubilee approached Maid Domo with caution. She grinned. ''Cool! A maid! You can make my bed, clean my bedroom...''

Jubilee stopped talking as soon as the other X-Men appeared. She saw the wide eyes of Wolverine, Gambit, Beast, Storm, Jean Grey, and Rogue.
She heard Cyclops as he gasped.

''You are?'' Jean asked.

Maid Domo looked sheepish. *The X-Men might recognize my voice* he thought. He pointed at himself before he made a sweeping gesture.

''You're interested in cleaning our home?'' Storm asked.

Maid Domo grinned before he nodded. *Hopefully the X-Men aren't more demanding than Mojo!* he thought.

''The maid is going to make my bed and clean my bedroom first,'' Jubilee informed the other X-Men.

''You can dust the entire mansion after you clean Jubilee's bedroom,'' Rogue said to Maid Domo.

*Wonderful* Maid Domo thought as he rolled his eyes.

''After you dust the mansion, you can make eight sandwiches for us,'' Wolverine said.

Frowning, Maid Domo went to Jubilee's bedroom. His jaw dropped at the sight of the messy bedroom. Outfits covered the floor while
compact discs were scattered everywhere. Jubilee's teddy bear was under the bed. At least Maid Domo thought it was a teddy bear. All he saw was
its arm.

Jubilee appeared behind the new maid. ''Here's a broom. You can sweep the floor after you put everything in a proper place,'' she said.
She gave the broom to Maid Domo before she departed.

Maid Domo's frown remained. *Earth is such a primitive planet. It isn't advanced like Mojo's dimension. There aren't any mechanical
spider-like platforms like the one Mojo uses to get around.*

Maid Domo placed the broom on the floor. He focused on the unmade bed. His shoulders slumped. He looked back.

*Spiral should be here* Maid Domo thought. Worry began to fill his eyes again. That was when he gasped another time.
*Spiral lost interest in the mission and abandoned me!*

Jubilee appeared again. ''Oh. I forgot. You have to put every compact disc in alphabetical order.'' She departed another time.

Maid Domo saw hundreds of compact discs. He began to sob. Jubilee was more demanding than Mojo. Maid Domo was always going to be her
slave.

The End
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/kacangpool/vida/2010-tavern-awards-stanlee.jpg[/img]

[img]http://spiralgoddess.webs.com/IMG_20171107_103942.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/eternalalanna/Screenshot%202017-12-03%20at%203.35.02%20PM.png[/img]

[IMG]http://eternalashlotte.webs.com/Screenshot%202017-12-18%20at%2011.49.20%20AM.png[/IMG]

ewkada
Inhuman

09 Nov 2015, 21:03 #4

what a funny short story!
Eternal, you're cute
[smooth;

Eternal Nightmare
Celestial

09 Nov 2015, 22:55 #5

I had trouble with a couple scenes and I was indecisive about the ending.
[img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/kacangpool/vida/2010-tavern-awards-stanlee.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.freewebs.com/eternalalanna/Screenshot%202017-12-03%20at%203.35.02%20PM.png[/img]

[IMG]http://eternalashlotte.webs.com/Screenshot%202017-12-18%20at%2011.49.20%20AM.png[/IMG]

ewkada
Inhuman

11 Nov 2015, 20:54 #6

I liked the ending very much

ewkada
Inhuman

12 Nov 2015, 21:29 #7

Hello there!
maybe it is time for my story

as usual: I own nothing which isn't mine

--------------------------------
NOWA
--------------------------------

Loki sat down on a stone-ledge, just to have a better view. But as far as the eye could see there weren’t any trees or buildings there, they weren’t needed. Everything around was silent, no living soul could survive such conditions. Loki was sure of it, he neither met or felt anyone alive here, even though his senses were unusually watchful. And this nothingness was quite scaring. The huge planet, not so long ago a home for some kind of dwarved Chitauri, was showing him now its naked stony face. It made him sad actually.

Out of a lake filled with a still liquefied lava shot a hot fountain. For an unknown reason its green radiating light reminded him that one day he’s going to pass away too. The thoughts of death started to plague him, when Kiran was born. Loki month after month was analyzing together with Bruce Banner how to reverse the apoptosis of nervous cells. And he couldn’t help it: the apoptosis was irreversible, it was starting at an early embryonic stage. Actually without it there couldn’t develop any higher life form out of the cluster of cells making together an embryo - We die before we’ve been born – Loki thought bitterly. A second fountain burst into air, this time even higher, and the lake gurgled somewhere deep inside – Maybe it would be better to have no kids – Loki continued his thinking. – Nay… rather not - Loki felt, that Kiran was firmly written into his existence, that he wouldn’t be himself, if Kiran hadn’t showed up. It was as if someone placed Kiran on Loki’s life list before Loki started to be himself… Loki didn’t hurry up with his philosophical thinking. Hiding on this planet had the advantage, that he could sit here even weeks after weeks, while on Earth in the meantime only two or three hours were passing; hours of a night sleep of course. Loki hadn’t needed as much sleep as Rosie had, so he used the spared time to get into lethargy and to relocate here.

What a pity that he couldn’t identify where this planet was. In the space known to him, there wasn’t such a constellation of stars as that that he could see now… And no simulations, even using his Scepter had brought any positive results: it simply didn’t exist. The only option, however not proved yet, lay beyond the horizon of the events of the black holes. Yes exactly, the black holes: Loki was almost sure that the holes are gates to other worlds different to ours. Loki heard the lava gurgling. He turned back immediately and wondered how he hadn’t noticed such changes before – I’ll be late getting out of the lethargy – he thought with a scared face watching the level of the lava going up and reaching his ledge. He quickly concentrated on raising himself, but then the third fountain of lava shot out right into his direction.

---

Darkness and the feeling of travelling at a huge speed, that speed in which the body was giving up its whole energy and creating a momentum of a massive potential and the only real thing which remained were thoughts shining at the end of the tunnel of the just created momentum. Loki felt, that he was suffocating, that he was out of any oxygen particles in his breath – This is not possible – he analyzed – My body isn’t here but on Earth – and at that moment he understood, that his consciousness has been melted back into his body. ¬

- Quickly! Cut through the web threads, otherwise they will crush his larynx. Unless they had done it already. We have to perform the tracheotomy! Right now. Push! –

- Oh shit! The motherfucker’s harder than a diamond… Wait! I know what to do… – The voice somehow known to Loki trailed away.

---

Pain, sudden and immense. But he managed to take the air noisily. Loki opened his eyes.

---

Tony Stark sweating heavily. Bruce Banner – green although he hadn’t changed into Hulk yet, cutting some threads very close to Loki’s left ear – Don’t even dare to move your finger – Bruce barked – And don’t say anything. Maybe there’s still a chance for you -

Loki believed him. Luckily, years ago, he had received enough training in lethargic collapsing and raising, so he almost immediately took control over his body

- I was watching you from above – Loki heard Peter Parker’s trembling voice – I especially enjoyed spying on your lethargy. You were emitting amazing shafts of light… -

Loki, who had disliked Peter from their first meeting, was putting all his strength now into not turning towards this puny snot. And he was getting really more and more angry. He had secured the whole tower from potential intruders, but Peter still seemed to pass easily through all these barriers. Oh yes, someone must have helped this boy and Loki was almost sure he knew who it was: Vision.

- …but this time during your raising phase it was something green in there, it looked like burning, hot lava, but its flames were shiny green colored… Somehow I was sure it intended to swallow you. I was trying to reach you with my web threads, but that lava as if guessing my intentions, started quickly catching and burning them. I was really fast, I covered you with all I was able to produce, I made for sure my personal best record this time by hundred times of my daily output – Loki noticed that Peter was grey, and he looked really panicky – Does he have a broken neck because of my threads? – Peter turned with this question to Bruce.

- Don’t panic old man – Tony said quickly, bending over Loki – THIS proved to be very useful this time, it makes the surgery on any of you possible. I will have a longer look at it, can I? – he asked showing the arrow-knife, with which during the first alien war Loki succeeded to stab Thor – The only things, that will probably remain with you after this are the grey hair strands on both sides. Yes, yea… - he added catching Loki’s terrified gaze - …if you want it, we’ll work on the color, although that what had fallen out is rather lost forever -

- You shouldn’t torment the one suffering – Bruce barked under his nose – Isn’t it enough that he’s barely keeping together after being disintegrated for so long? Leave his psyche in peace, please -

Loki slowly closed his eyes – How long? – he wondered and immediately felt helpless - Thor! Where are you? – he thought and concentrated on calling his brother. But doing it he unconsciously strained his muscles, which immediately brought fatal effects: his skin, which hadn’t got yet enough coherence started to break apart, especially in those places, which were permanently blue.

- To the Cradle with him! – Bruce roared catching with his growing hands the bed on which Loki was laying, and breaking with his already huge head the glass wall of Loki’s bedroom. Luckily the helicopter with the Cradle was arriving just in time.

---

Sure, they rescued him. Loki spent several weeks in the Cradle. But from that time he has been plagued not only by backaches, but also by the stiffening of his neck. Well, it’s true, that the Cradle can make your body almost anew, but surely with exception of your nervous cells.

---

Peter feeling still ashamed, that his spying came to the light, was avoiding Loki, until one day Loki sought him out. And they made peace together. Their friendship gave the most fun to Loki’s son Kiran, who loved to swing on Peter’s silk threads.

---

But Thor hadn’t heard Loki’s calling, the signal was too weak to get through space, so Thor being bored and alone started planning further rounds in Asgard. A new illness sent some of the guardians to bed. Thor had to check, whether it had been already found out, which beasts were to be blamed for it. The problem with wild creatures was, that part of them could couple together and breed, even if they were of a different kind, so it was not that easy to precisely know the origin of this new illness. Luckily the ones, who were ill, slowly recovered reconstructing their immune system accordingly. The symptom, that lasted the longest on them, was a general weakness and a numbness in their necks.

---

Every evening Thor was flying on the hugebirds; from above the Asgardian panorama was great, but Thor actually was not interested in the view he saw underneath, he wanted to be sure that no new dragons appear as his people were still too outnumbered to face any new threat in Asgard.

Very late one evening, when Thor was already flying above the hills connecting the Asgardian and Terian districts, he noticed someone cloaked and hooded quickly hurrying up to the tunnel bored into the hill, and clearly heading towards the old Asgardian district. Being just intrigued Thor quickly flew down. He left his hugebird close to the hill and run into the tunnel; so he couldn’t notice that the hugebird suddenly ruffled his feathered tail and evidently scared, it flew away.

In the two thirds of the tunnel Thor caught up with the hooded person who he thought to be a Terian by his height, and with a sharp move he turned the man around tearing the hood from his head – for a while he stood speechless: - Ejsha! What are you doing here?! –

The girl went red at that, she opened her mouth to excuse herself, but she wasn’t allowed to because Thor pulled her away, actually he threw her towards the direction of the Terian district beating with his right fist directly into the nose of one of the dragon’s heads – Quickly, call for help! – this only he managed to roar after her, because the dragon with three heads (and muzzles) was not eager to give him any chance even to stretch out his hand to attract his hammer.

---

The girl stood for some seconds terrified, then turned around and run out of the tunnel – Twenty minutes to reach the outer area of the district, and what if the dragon kills him in the meantime… five minutes for the guardians to come back, they’ll be too late… he doesn’t have his hammer… he remembered my name… he really remembers me… - Ejsha thought with a growing pain – And I won’t save him… I am running away… what for? – On the left side there was a small arsenal; Ejsha stopped suddenly – No! – she said aloud, as if she wanted to encourage herself by that. But the arsenal, which had almost been emptied during the Dragon War, still had not been restocked with newer weapons. Ejsha had chosen two old, long swords and two short ones, that seemed to be in better shape than the rest of the junk; and hurried up back. It took her some six-seven minutes in total.

---

Thor already knew, that he would lose, one dragon head had already caught him by his cloak dangerously close to his neck, he dematerialized the cloak, meanwhile however the second muzzle bit into his right leg and the third one appeared above him – the dragon fluttered its long eyelashes, it obviously liked to play with its prey – then both its heads fell on Thor aiming into his head and hand. Thor saw a muzzle opening just above him, he tensed and clenched his fists and… a long sword was thrust directly into the dragons throat, the second sword cut aside another head that kept its hold on Thor’s leg – Ejsha was not that strong to cut off the head, but it was enough that the sharp teeth lessened their hold.

The Terian girl snarled deeply, the dragon pulled Thor aside and its two heads hissed towards its new enemy. Thanks to that Ejsha had time to throw the long sword right into Thor’s hand, she took out her two small swords from the sheaths on her back and the fighting had begun.

But this time it was the dragon, who had a lot of trouble: Thor seemed to have tripled his strength; soon the second dragon’s head staggered and fell down to the ground hereafter.

Ejsha had it more difficult, her dragon’s head was badly wounded, so it seemed to be even angrier because of that; to that the short swords despite Ejsha’s fast strokes were really no match to the strength and skills of the dragon. Finally the creature caught her by one of her plaits and Ejsha screamed out of pain. Luckily Thor managed to cut off the plait and the third dragon’s head too.

---

The girl sat with her back leaning against the wall of the tunnel, she breathed heavily, but was all smiles while looking at Thor.

Thor put away his sword, and leaned with both his hands also against the wall, he was really exhausted. After a while he sat down with his side close to the wall – You’re unbelievably brave – he wheezed smiling broadly – And you saved my life –

– So I am unbelievably happy about that – she answered spontaneously, and Thor again sensed her warmth coming out in his direction.

– What were you doing here so late in the night? You weren’t armed. You aren’t even grown up yet. At least attending the school for guardians should make you cautious on how dangerous the night outside can be! – Thor unconsciously raised his voice. He was pretty aware, that he also had thoughtlessly left the Mjonir in his bedroom, he was actually upset about himself and about how close he was to failing this time, he had clearly had bad luck with these dragons… He stretched his hand towards the Asgardian exit of the tunnel.

Ejsha looked to the ground ashamed – I was ill… after the fight on the wall –

Thor knitted his brows together as she reminded him of his untamed twin-brothers.

– And tomorrow I’ll have my fifteenth birthday, so I wanted to bring the sweetes to one Asgardian girl from our school –

Now Thor smiled: it was quite long ago, when he had brought the bumbling sweetes to school, and others did everything to get them; they could soundly thrash each other to the silent approval of their teachers…

Ejsha felt childish, Thor realized it – Your parents won’t be satisfied with my hair cutting… - he said quickly in order to change the subject.

– Yea, they won’t, and also with the fact that I got out of my bedroom through the window … and haven’t returned yet… -

Thor carefully watched the girl for such a long time, that it made her ashamed again – Go back home now… I’ll come there soon, I have to get rid of that dragon corpse first - Thor said to Ejsha catching his hammer.

---

Ejsha in spite of being deadly tired, was running home, she probably made her speed record that night, as after about eighteen minutes she rushed into the living room. Her parents sprang to their feet surprised, they were sure she was sleeping upstairs in the attic, so she was the first to speak: - Mother, father – the king will come here shortly! –

– What have you done this time?! – Kerdas asked her, disoriented.

– I fought against the three-header… yy… I mean the king was fighting, and I helped him –

– And your hair? – her mother Inga asked with a trembling voice as in their society for a young girl to have a hair-cut was socially degrading.

– Our king has cut it, but it doesn’t mean… the dragon caught me by this plait, and the king had to… so that I wouldn’t break my neck – Ejsha was still out of breath.

– By whom else were you seen? - her mother asked quickly.

– I think, by no one… -

- So put your hair together into one plait! –

– Inga… -

- No Kerdas! I am responsible for our daughter’s honor! –

– Mother I don’t want to cheat anyone here… -

- And will you explain all of it to everyone, who turns away from you? Well yes, if the king confirms it, we will inform Mer accordingly, but since now you will have only one plait bound together at the end of your shorter hair and… you’ll put an end to the school for guardians! –

– Well, that’s my responsibility, not yours… - Kerdas proudly cut in.

---

At this moment Thor knocked at the door. Ejsha quickly finished binding her hair into the one plait while Kerdas was manually opening the door.

– I am sorry to intrude on your time so late, but I am sure, that you are not asleep yet, and I still have an urgent matter with you and your daughter – Thor started with his calm voice.

Kerdas without a word bowed to the king and made free the passage for him to come in.

Thor entered the living room and bowed to Kerdas’ wife, then coming closer to Ejsha he turned to Kerdas: - Your daughter didn’t obey me today, when I ordered her to bring help being myself engaged in the fight with a three-headed dragon – Thor actually wanted to surprise them – Instead of doing it, she took the swords from the nearest arsenal and returned to me standing up to fight side by side with me – here Thor kneeled before Ejsha, and Kerdas and Inga ceased to breathe for a moment – And this way she saved my life – Thor continued looking up at the girl, then lowered his head – Herewith I declare in the presence of the two witnesses, that daughter of Kerdas fighting the three-headed dragon saved my life, that is why I am bound to her by the Principle of the Debt. I will reward her in… -

Ejsha knew, what the Principle of the Debt was, but she was so surprised, that she had forgotten, what there was to be said in a situation, when one saved another one’s life and was then proposed a reward for it. In the past the consequence of this principle was that life of reach men was valued higher than the one of the poor ones. To avoid such discrepancies the Principle of the Dept had been changed from the usual ten percent rate to the reward, which was only up to the rescued one.

Thor looked up at her, for a moment he thought that she was really too young to deal with issues predestined generally for grown-up fighters, but if the school for guardians was usually attended by Asgardian teenagers, so…

Kerdas was the first to come round: - I accept… - he whispered to his daughter.

Ejsha quickly laid her hand on Thor’s shoulder – I accept your life-debt, be sure I did it driven by pure intention to help you –

Thor lifted his eyebrows looking deeply into her eyes, Ejsha to his surprise did the same, smiling broadly.

Kerdas hemmed, being confused.

Ejsha took a deep breath and – You may rise – she informed Thor officially.

---

- And now – Thor said to Ejsha – As you aren’t grown up yet, allow me please to agree on your reward with your parents. See you soon… Kerdasera and… a happy birthday – Thor looked at the color of her clothes – today – he finished.

The girl reddened at being called by her soft school name which, spoken by Thor, sounded now a little childish and she didn’t answer to him, she curtsied instead and urged by her mother’s gestures she went upstairs and closed the door to her bedroom in the attic, then she leaned against the door and closed her eyes.

---

Thor in the meantime turned to Kerdas saying: - You see, my dear cup-bearer, even myself I would have never supposed that by advising you about the school for your daughter I would be saved… Your daughter isn’t only brave and skillful but also wise: she has correctly estimated, what would happen to me, and being aware of the danger she took a responsible decision; she acted according to the Principle No. One for valuing other’s life above your own, and for that there is a great reward granted. In my opinion her wisdom should be given a chance for further development, so she should attend the highest schooling program in Asgard –

Kerdas looked painfully to the ground. It was really hard for him; it would be hard for each Terian, but he had to say it aloud – My king, wise are your advices and I am always eager to follow them, but this time it won’t be possible as we cannot afford even one month in Zhado –

Thor smiled to that – And here we arrive at my life-debt: I propose to you and to your wife – here he bowed to Inga – That I will finance your daughter’s studies. Do you… accept such form of reward? –

But Kerdas was silent for a longer while, he still felt uneasy and because of that he wavered between accepting and refusing – I am not sure my king, whether the incentives coming from taxes of all Asgardians should be spent on one student, even though she is a pure one – The description a poor one would suit better here but it couldn’t get past his throat.

– And would that be rightful, if someone so wise and skilled weren’t promoted because she is not able to pay for a better start in her life? And how great profit she could bring to our society! – Thor knitted his brows together, but after a while he made a satisfied face again – The tenth part of the incentives is for my personal use, no one has ever questioned this… Kerdas, we have known each other for so many hundreds of years already. Do you remember our first contest? Did you run worse than me?–

This time Kerdas smiled – But now my king you would outrun me for sure –

– Because I have grown big, my heart is beating about the same way though as yours is… - Thor argued also smiling - So what is your answer? –

Kerdas looked at his wife, Inga nodded instead of answering – We accept – Kerdas answered bowing to the king.

---

When Thor was gone, Inga with a satisfied smile came nearer to her husband.

– I know it turned out to be as you wished for: Ejsha will change her school – Kerdas said to her thoughtfully.

– For a moment I had the impression, that he was adoring her – Inga commented.

Kerdas pulled a wry face – The chance for that is the same as for creating of another Tesseract… -

Mister_Oz
Superpowered Human
Mister_Oz
Superpowered Human

13 Nov 2015, 21:39 #8

Going to try again this month. I'll be posting big reminders for myself everywhere and take an extended bathroom break to vote if stuck at work lol.

Mister_Oz
Superpowered Human
Mister_Oz
Superpowered Human

13 Nov 2015, 21:40 #9

I own nothing which is not mine

Spangle #35: Happy Worst Day

"It's okay. Just tell me what you can remember," his voice was authoritative but comforting.

"I don't know," trying to concentrate sadly wasn't on my brain's agenda nor could it be held at fault for that.

"Is there anything you can focus on? A sight? A sound?"

"Popping."

"Popping," he repeated. The handsome blue-eyed, blonde haired man in red, white and blue could just as well have been a mirror image of me – except I lacked his patience, was wearing a more modern, less white costume and of course a girl.

"Yeah, like fireworks but louder. As if they were right next to my ear."

Captain America nodded in understanding. He was questioning me in light of the disaster that became of Ben Parson's birthday party. In my current state; that being "blown-up again", it was surreal to see a squad of Avengers milling about a smoking plot of land that was once a quietish house in Edgegrove, New Jersey, but as the scene involved superpowered beings Earth's Mightiest Heroes were brought in.

"I just..." the heartbreaking thoughts flooding my mind choked off my voice and I felt Steve Rogers, Cap, gently wipe my wet cheeks with his gloved thumb.

"We're going to get to the bottom of this, Spangle," he assured softly and brought forth a cup of water; holding it carefully to my lips as I took tiny sips from it.

"Cap," I heard Natasha behind me. He lifted his head and his expression said it all. ‘Not now' to her and ‘Ben's Gone' to me. To her credit, Black Widow said no more and moved on to continue her part of the investigation. Cap and I sat quiet like boy and girl American flags.

Not even half a day ago the Parson family and I were gathered around their kitchen table singing "Happy Birthday" to Ben – the best friend I'd had in this whole superhero business. Of course, his parents were leery of it; even unaware their only son was the crime fighter known as Twitch until he was abducted by HYDRA from their basement for his crack computer skills. [issue 5] Naturally, his father wasn't too happy to see me when I walked through the door Mrs. Parson held open for me upon my arrival.

"What's with the gawd-awful clown suit?" Robert Parson sarcastically greeted upon seeing me in my Spangle costume. I was shaken a bit by his comment but I put on a good face.

"As his friend, I don't want anything happening to Ben. Anything else. Wearing my suit shows Ben I'm willing to fight for him and protect him if need be and it protects me while doing so," I explained.

"But did you have to come here looking like a happy hooker?!" Mr. Parson chided.

"Robert!" his wife chastised and apologized, "I think it's lovely, dear."

"Thank you, Mrs. Parson," I smiled and crouched to grasp her hands in mine.

Mrs. Parson

The thought of her immediately set me throwing up the little bit of water Captain America had me drink. She was such a nice woman who didn't have to die in such a horrible tragedy. None of them did.

"Easy, easy, we've got you. We're here for you," Cap soothed despite his suit being spattered with my bile, "what is it? What are you thinking?"

Only a high pitched whine came out of me as I was too distraught.

"It's okay, honey, we're here for you. Relax. Take all the time you need," I turned to acknowledge the support of Ms. Marvel, er Warbird, whatever Carol Danvers was supposed to be codenamed, and shook my head furiously. We needed to get to the bottom of this heinous act and I was the key.

"The cake," I heaved breaths, "it was the cake."

"The device was in the cake?" one of them, a young guy I didn't recognize, asked.

"It makes perfect sense, built in ignition source...," Carol added. I could see the candles burning on the white frosted cake on the table in the darkened kitchen then...

Violent dry heaves. As if my stomach wasn't already twisted worse than a jumbo pretzel tearing me up from the inside out.

"I couldn't help them," I whined on my hands and knees at Captain America's feet, "I couldn't help them."

"Spangle, honey," Carol soothed as a blanket was wrapped around me and I was lifted to my feet, "you did the best you could."

"No!" I argued, still borderline hysteric, "I should have anticipated something would happen..."

"You couldn't have known," Cap began but I went on.

"He was abducted from here once. I was stupid. No, naive to think it wouldn't happen again. Only this time he's dead and so are his parents and all the other party goers."

I looked each of the Avengers who stood around me in the eye: Cap, Warbird, Gold & blue guy, a fiery red haired girl with glasses and jacket,* "I failed. I failed them. I failed my friends," I stared at the ground, unable to look anyone in the eye.

"Come on," Cap said extending his hand, "we're going to get you cleaned up and returned home."

I shook my head fervently again.

"There's nothing else we can do here tonight," he tried reasoning.

"I don't want to go home," I could see there was some hesitation in his and Carol's faces.

"Well..." Cap began but Carol cut him off.

"Is there a place that you might like to go instead?" she asked.

"My mother's. Outside of Philadelphia. I need to take some time and think."

When I showed up on her doorstep in the middle of the night shoulder to shoulder with Captain America and Warbird my prim and proper mother was beside herself.

"Oh my word, Brianna, what did you do?"

I didn't hear what my escorts told my astounded mother as I was too busy bawling my eyes out on her shoulders as they explained why we were there, but I do remember hearing her say, "Thank you" and her muscling me under my arm until I was sitting on the bed in my old room.

"Didn't I warn you something like this would happen?"

I gave Mom an evil stare for about three seconds and crumbled into a bawling little girl. At least ten minutes or more had passed before my mother sat me upright from her chest.

"I'll go get you some water. Why don't you change?"

I yanked off my tall red boots and threw them to the floor across the room. My cheeks felt hot and my emotions roiled. I struggled to get out of the top half of my Spangle costume mumbling curses at the suit for being so hard to get out of and before I could peel the leggings off the frustration and heartbreak set off another round of flooding tears. I hadn't cried this hard since I was seven; when my best friend in the whole world, Rolf, a scruffy mutt named after the Muppet on t.v., had died unexpectedly.

Mom ran in upon hearing my short gasping breaths afraid I was hyperventilating, and joined me on the edge of the bed, cradling me in a motherly embrace until I lost myself to sleep.

The next morning I sat on my childhood bed staring at my boots which lay on the floor next to the nightstand. I didn't want to put them on. I wasn't ready; not after all I had just been through.

"There was a phone call for you," my mom said upon sitting next to me, "Some S.H.I.E.L.D. is ordering you to come back to work. What the hell are you doing?"

"They can stuff their damn order and find someone else," I mumbled.

"Is that how you truly feel? Should I tell them that next time they call looking for you? Better still, what if next time, they don't even call; they just show up, on my doorstep, looking for you? What happens then? You really think they'll take ‘no' for an answer? Cuz I don't. I think they're going to cart you off and lock you away for being AWOL. What happens then, Brianna? Who helps all of those defenseless people waiting for you to save them?"

"There's always somebody else," I mumbled into my lap refusing to face her.

"That's not the attitude of the little girl I raised," Mom said in her ‘means business' tone.

"But you've been so dead set against me being Spangle," I said from the security of my soft, gray, sweatshirt, barely managing to look her in the eyes.

"Honey, I also realize how much it means to you. I know you would do anything in your power to help anyone in dire need because that's just who you are."

As usual, Mom was right.

"Come on, honey. I'll make us breakfast."

Mom had just flipped the eggs in the frying pan when I shuffled into the kitchen, still in the gray sweats and thick white socks. The sun and sky were both bright, just like any other ordinary sunny day. Life carried on. It was up to me what to do with it.

"That Captain America is such a handsome man," Mom gushed. She never gushed.

"And he's got such wonderful manners, too," Mom added and shut the burner off. She slid the eggs onto a plate and brought it over to me. "Now that hussie with the two of you last night. She was a little more brusque. And she could learn to wear more than just a bathing suit and slutty boots. Like a long sash – that's RED mind you – and a mask are supposed to add some class to it..."

"Mom, she's a respected member of the Avengers, a pilot..."

"Well sure, she's got all the guys eating out of her hand, I'm sure. And probably a member of the Mile High Club as well."

"Mother..."

"Don't let me catch you wearing anything that skimpy, Miss Reynolds."

That moment I wasn't about to contradict her. The eggs were pretty good.

* [Justice & Firestar are the two Ree doesn't recognize - Mr. Oz]

14 Nov 2015, 18:26 #10

So, how is it that Mr. Awesome CLAIMED to have won last month's fan-fic writing contest and ended up with $1,000???? [thinking] [thinking] [thinking]
[ban]

MsMarvelDuckie
Inhuman

15 Nov 2015, 06:04 #11

Who-Wha?!! What's this all about, then? First I've heard of it.
"Well, this is another fine myth you've gotten us into..."
-from "Myth Directions"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

ewkada
Inhuman

18 Nov 2015, 20:46 #12

bombing here and bombing there

you've made me really melancholic, Mister_Oz,

but life is going on,
and the eggs are always damn good if prepared by someone who loves you

Miles_Warren
Eternal

23 Nov 2015, 22:32 #13

Just three more days to submit an entry before the comp closes gang. :daffy:

Miles_Warren
Eternal

23 Nov 2015, 22:34 #14

Big Thunder! @ Nov 14 2015, 06:26 PM wrote: So, how is it that Mr. Awesome CLAIMED to have won last month's fan-fic writing contest and ended up with $1,000???? [thinking] [thinking] [thinking]
[ban]
LIES!!!!

This Mr. Awesome person has been trying to discredit the writing comp for years by claiming victories that weren't his. I think he just hates us writers :P

Miles_Warren
Eternal

29 Nov 2015, 01:02 #15

Many apologies for not closing this comp sooner. My laptop had issues connecting to the wifi for some reason the last couple of days. I could use the internet on my phone but the forums are extremely clunky to navigate so I stayed away. Anyway I am back [happy]

Voting is now open for all entrants and I have received some votes already. However, due to the delay in closing the comp, I will also be opening non-entrant voting as well. Voting closes on November 30th at 4pm EST so pm your votes as soon as you can.

Here is list of all entries.

Eternal Nightmare - Maid Domo

ewkada - NOWA

Mister_Oz - Spangle #35: Happy Worst Day.

Best of luck to all entrants.

ewkada
Inhuman

29 Nov 2015, 21:05 #16

funny thing happened this time:
entrants have no choice in voting
:P

30 Nov 2015, 01:16 #17

There HAS to be outside voting. I have not had a chance to read any of these stories due to how busy I've been.

I move that, in this case, all three entrants do not have to vote (since its a moot point anyway).

Miles_Warren
Eternal

30 Nov 2015, 21:10 #18

Big Thunder! @ Nov 30 2015, 01:16 AM wrote: There HAS to be outside voting. I have not had a chance to read any of these stories due to how busy I've been.

I move that, in this case, all three entrants do not have to vote (since its a moot point anyway).
The entrants that have provided a vote have given me a first and second preference. I will count the first preference of each entrant and ignore the second preference unless their first preference fails to vote. So, in a way, entrants only get one vote. Non entrants get the normal two votes as per usual.

Miles_Warren
Eternal

02 Dec 2015, 22:44 #19

Ok so the votes are in and have been tallied. The winner of the November 2015 writing competition is....

*drumroll*

MISTER_OZ!!!!!!!!

I do believe this is MO's 3rd win in the competition which earns him a promotion and the rank of Professional Wordsmith. A fantastic entry and a very worthy winner. Here are the amount of votes each entrant received:

Mister_Oz....................................3

Eternal Nightmare.........................2

Ewkada.......................................2

:friends:

Miles_Warren
Eternal

02 Dec 2015, 22:46 #20

So quick question guys. Should we do a December 2015 comp or give the competition a small break? Are people bored with the competition or is it just that people are very busy lately?

Eternal Nightmare
Celestial

03 Dec 2015, 13:48 #21

Congrats to Mister Oz.

Although I'm grateful for the two votes, it is true. People just don't like decent, in character, canon, etc. stories. Good, canon, in character, etc. stories really are bad by default.

I never won any awards. It's as if my stories aren't good enough. I'm not a bad writer.

I'm getting really sick of the snubbing and hate for good, in character, canon, etc. stories in every fandom. Not even decent original stories get much attention.

Mister_Oz
Superpowered Human
Mister_Oz
Superpowered Human

03 Dec 2015, 14:25 #22

First off, I know how disparaging it is to constantly come up short in the writer's comp. If Feral or Darktruth or Big Thunder had entries this month there's no way in hell I'd have placed as well. EN, lack of votes doesn't mean your entry (or anything you write) isn't good. I've had stories I thought were shoe-ins that received zero votes. I went months without votes when the competition was on the Marvel boards & it took one whole year before my first win, where I tied with another.

Personally, I hoped for more entries this month. I propose in the future if such an occurrence happens again, we simply extend the comp to the next deadline. That said, I vote we continue on as we have been.

Finally, thanks for liking my story. There were wonderful entries this month and it's always an honor to receive such recognition.

ewkada
Inhuman

03 Dec 2015, 21:23 #23

best congrats MO !!!

I like this competition and I think it would be a sad loss if we stopped attending it

we are all a creative kind and our minds generally don't have problems with imagination

I can understand though that sometimes we can really get tired or engaged in other important issues so that there is only little space left for new ideas for next story

this is why I don't mind 3 entries, but in case there where only two of them, I think we should extend the comp. to the end of the next month

and what happend to Spidey's awards?

:friends:

05 Dec 2015, 10:17 #24

Congrats to MO for the win!

I have to agree with Mister Oz in that it does get quite disheartening to never win. But just because a writer gets a low number of votes that does not mean that her/his story or voice isn't good. I've had months where I get no votes with an issue I think is fantastic. Tastes ebb and flow. Keep writing and keep honing your craft.

As for the competition, I sadly won't be taking part any time soon. My release schedule for 2016 is insane and with so many contracted books fan fiction has been shoved to a back burner for the future. I hope that the others will continue to keep this event going though. There are some wonderfully skilled scribes here.

MsMarvelDuckie
Inhuman

06 Dec 2015, 00:34 #25

EN, don't feel bad, in the entire time I've been participating, I've only had ONE win (a tie, actually). It can get disheartening, but it's not because there's a lack of or hate for good stories that are in character, canon, or whatever. With so many good writers here, it can happen to any of us. It's just the nature of the competition that you win a few, and you lose a few (or a lot). You just have to keep chugging away and hope that the voters like your work enough to vote for you. Some of my best tales on here had few or even no votes at all, while others surprised me with how many I got. But that doesn't stop me from trying!

On topic, I'd love to have one this month, since I was too busy to have one ready for last month's comp. I'm hoping that will change this month, but if we give it a break, that's fine too- it just means I'll have more time to work on it!
"Well, this is another fine myth you've gotten us into..."
-from "Myth Directions"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491