Next Draft Discussion Thread

You feel you can logically defend the idea of Eyescream defeating Superman then this is the place to do it.

Moderators: Foxy Shazam, jaxthejester, Tavern Master Brewer, Foxy Shazam, jaxthejester, Tavern Master Brewer

Next Draft Discussion Thread

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

29 Mar 2016, 21:39 #1

This thread is Pinned to discuss our next Draft Tourney.

A few points to address for the masses:

1. Should we do a Mega Class Draft next?
2. Should we do a high Mixed Class Draft next? (I.E. 2 Mega, 2 Heavy, 1 Mid)
3. Should we split Mega Class into two parts: Low Mega vs. High Mega/Herald?
4. What limits should we place? (I.E. - 1 speedster, 1 high powered telepath, 1 energy absorber, 1 intangible, 1 high mage, etc.).
5. Is Jax the coolest guy ever?
6. Should we stick to the same format as the last one?

These are important questions. :grin:

And anything else related to our next tourney; which we can kick off as early as next week if folks are on board.
When all other factors and possibilities have been eliminated from the equation; Whatever remains, regardless of how improbable it may be, is inevitably the truth.

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

29 Mar 2016, 21:43 #2

Definitely same format. It went too smoothly and didn't drag on at all. Why change what works?

Maybe third coolest guy. Behind Mr. Awesome and Pee-wee.

Mega draft will most likely win. That's what a good amount of people wanted last time. It only lost by one vote.

29 Mar 2016, 21:47 #3

I vote mega. I also think we should be pretty loose on the restrictions. Most Mega classers have super speed and/or a history of being able to tag speedsters. The only thing I would consider limiting is high end telepathy, but I'm open to anything.

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

29 Mar 2016, 21:49 #4

Also, let's get a roll call for those who plan to play in this next one and are once again willing to commit to Voting in all matches.
[patriot!]
When all other factors and possibilities have been eliminated from the equation; Whatever remains, regardless of how improbable it may be, is inevitably the truth.

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

29 Mar 2016, 21:55 #5

Whatever it is, I'm in. So just add me whenever.

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

29 Mar 2016, 22:10 #6

I'm okay with telepaths being the only restriction to a mega draft. Like the first one we did.

29 Mar 2016, 22:14 #7

Yeah, I'm also going to be in regardless of what format gets chosen.

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

29 Mar 2016, 22:15 #8

If it's mega, I'm going to win. Just putting that out there.

My question is this - Do I keep it simple this time or do what I do best and go obscure again?

29 Mar 2016, 22:22 #9

I'm down for another.

I'd vote for mega again.

I'm in favor of limiting telepathy since a team of telepaths becomes pretty tough to beat, but other than that, I don't think it matters. Speed is close to a non-factor for megas. A lot of them have high end speed, or at least have a long history of fighting people who do. Same with energy absorbers. Mages might be worth limiting simply since they are such a huge wild-card, but magic users are hardly unbeatable.

In terms of match rules and structure, the last one went great, so I'd recommend keeping that.

And sorry Jax, you're cool and all, but coolest ever? I mean, you don't even have ice powers.
Check out the Outstanding Fan Fic section. We re-envision some of your favorite Marvel characters, and maybe some that you have never heard about:Outstanding Fan Fiction

Now introducing Ask Hulkster Anyting! The place where you can ask all of your burning questions and I guarantee an answer.

Foxy Shazam
Inhuman

29 Mar 2016, 22:23 #10

I think Mega sounds good, it's been a long time since the last one.

Redsledge
Kree

29 Mar 2016, 22:59 #11

I was gonna take a break, but this gonja, and that last nail biter have motivated me.

Im down for some mega.
One of the worlds greatest pleasures is secret knowledge. Things you learn that your peers don't know, or imagine you know. Its the lifetime batting average of every member of the Yankees, stats of Desert Storm, or the names and home-worlds of legions of Superheroes. Commit this knowledge to memory, and you can speak the private language of those who have approached this with equal dedication.

The will of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death - Musashi

PS4: Redsledge
Xbox1: RedsledgeBLU

An Ri Leon
Kree

30 Mar 2016, 01:41 #12

jaxthejester @ Mar 29 2016, 03:39 PM wrote: This thread is Pinned to discuss our next Draft Tourney.

A few points to address for the masses:

1. Should we do a Mega Class Draft next?
2. Should we do a high Mixed Class Draft next? (I.E. 2 Mega, 2 Heavy, 1 Mid)
3. Should we split Mega Class into two parts: Low Mega vs. High Mega/Herald?
4. What limits should we place? (I.E. - 1 speedster, 1 high powered telepath, 1 energy absorber, 1 intangible, 1 high mage, etc.).
5. Is Jax the coolest guy ever?
6. Should we stick to the same format as the last one?

These are important questions. :grin:

And anything else related to our next tourney; which we can kick off as early as next week if folks are on board.
Yes, mega sounds great.

I think splitting mega into two is a good choice. The mega class is defined by Superman and Silver Surfer but I'd say they are bit above the average mega.

Mages, telepaths and reality warpers should be limited.

The last format was amazing.

Uhhh... Is Jax... The coolest?... Uhhhhh... Oh, look at the time... Well, gotta go...
The poster formerly known as Bwana Simba

Foxy Shazam
Inhuman

30 Mar 2016, 01:44 #13

I dunno... Splitting the classes up might makes things complicated, and limit the character choices.

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

30 Mar 2016, 01:51 #14

The last mega draft only had a limit on telepaths and it worked out just fine. Magic and and other things shouldn't be an issue. This is the mega class and we're playing with a lot of power. Picking characters that don't have answers to these things is just the drafter's fault. Choose wisely.

I also liked the idea of not having reserve picks in that last draft. It would also be cool to not be able to a character switch round at the end. Being able to adjust your team to take out other picks at the end it pretty lame. Make a team and stick with it.

30 Mar 2016, 03:16 #15

Im down for whatever.

If its mega, and we do restrict telepathy, I might suggest that we ban telepaths entirely. That way we wont be forced to pick one just cause someone else did. I dont really want a telepath but I also dont want my whole team mind rapped.

Other than that im good to go.
[img]http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/330/d/b/iron_spider_suiting_up_animation_by_z_studios-d5mb1l8.gif[/img]

[img]http://s26.postimg.org/4nmacq3kp/Professor_Zoom_runs.gif[/img]

Redsledge
Kree

30 Mar 2016, 03:44 #16

Im a pretty big fan of Prof X, but i understand hesitation towards telepaths.

I believe awesome has the right idea as rosters go. Having reserves is fun, but i think we should make a team and stick with it. It will strengthen our choices so to speak.
One of the worlds greatest pleasures is secret knowledge. Things you learn that your peers don't know, or imagine you know. Its the lifetime batting average of every member of the Yankees, stats of Desert Storm, or the names and home-worlds of legions of Superheroes. Commit this knowledge to memory, and you can speak the private language of those who have approached this with equal dedication.

The will of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death - Musashi

PS4: Redsledge
Xbox1: RedsledgeBLU

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

30 Mar 2016, 05:00 #17

I really want this cake.

Giraffe of Hearts
Cosmic Being

30 Mar 2016, 05:34 #18

Sounds like folks are leaning towards mega, and that's fine by me,

I wouldn't recommend trying to split mega into two separate levels; make a pick, and if it seems too powerful then we just challenge & vote it out, done. I'd say the same idea might work for any of these other restrictions being discussed, as well. So many megas are bound to have some degree of super-speed, or absorption, or psionics/magic, etc. But that shouldn't automatically disqualify them as team-breakers...put it to a vote. That way popular opinion will prevent any characters from sneaking in who might be super-telepaths, or untouchable speedsters, or whatever. I mean, nobody in their right mind is going to approve of an opponent selecting somebody like the Silver Surfer. If they did, then EVERYBODY would feel obligated to come up with a super-mega (borderline bridge class) pick of their own; yet another futile arms race. To paraphrase Iron Spider (talking about TPs), you don't wanna be the only one to bring a knife to a gunfight.

One other thing to keep in mind: this time we're not authoring intricate strategies to post. The proof is in the picking, and presentation largely comes in second. Meaning, the street cred of a character (and how most of us participating tend to evaluate that character) is what drives the voting process. Yet one more reason why the Surfer is such a great example...like him or not, very few people would casually vote against him & his renown abilities. Big-name branding goes a loooooooong way, using this format.
"We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good,
something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III

:thanosinfinity:

[WW] Gender Equality: Help empower women/girls

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

30 Mar 2016, 05:38 #19

Sounds like the following is what we have on the table so far:

1. Mega Class Draft
2. 5 person fixed roster
3. Limit to 1 high powered telepath OR no high powered TP at all?
4. No speed limits.
5. No magic limits.
6. Max level is Herald/Omega Mutant/Full Kryptonian, etc. - don't push this limit or it'll get voted down. I.E. Don't ask for Sun Dipped Superman. Don't ask for Cyborg Supes with power rings.
7. Everyone who plays votes in all matches.

I would suggest the following base rules also carry over:

* No time manipulaters
* No undefendable instant win powers (I.e. no penance gaze, no death touches, etc). - suggestion: we could make this an auto-nerf rule to simply not allow this type of power to be "used" by any character, but still allow them to technically "have" said powers- I.E.- Ghost Rider is an allowed pick, he just isn't allowed to gaze attack. Dr. Strange is allowed as a pick, he just can't auto-kill with spell effects, etc. In other words - we allow characters that would fit if not for that "one power" and we do so by turning off that power as a universal house rule. Thoughts?
* Group vote on whether or not a character fits is respected by all and not a reason to quit picking or derail. :thbsup:
* No BFR
* No dimensional travel or leaving the field.
* Similar mixed environment as last time.
* No power or equipment sharing.
* No undamageable characters (no Deadman, etc.)
* Characters are in character, morality is on.
* No limit on passive Telepathy.
* Active TP limit applies to other powers that effectively mimic TP effects.

Thoughts?

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

30 Mar 2016, 05:41 #20

Surfer wouldn't be nixed by me simply because Thor always kicks his butt in combat, and Thor is classic Mega. But I'm open to popular vote on this?

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

30 Mar 2016, 05:44 #21

Plus I'd put guys like Black Adam & Dr. Strange in the same class as Surfer. Same with Sentry & Gladiator.

Thinkerer
Kree

30 Mar 2016, 06:30 #22

Im curious if there will be a lot of variety in the teams...

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

30 Mar 2016, 06:43 #23

jaxthejester @ Mar 30 2016, 01:38 AM wrote: * No undefendable instant win powers (I.e. no penance gaze, no death touches, etc). - suggestion: we could make this an auto-nerf rule to simply not allow this type of power to be "used" by any character, but still allow them to technically "have" said powers- I.E.- Ghost Rider is an allowed pick, he just isn't allowed to gaze attack. Dr. Strange is allowed as a pick, he just can't auto-kill with spell effects, etc. In other words - we allow characters that would fit if not for that "one power" and we do so by turning off that power as a universal house rule. Thoughts?
I like this idea. It still allows some good characters to be picked. Ghost Rider has a lot more than just a stare and he doesn't do it all the time in battle anyway. Disabling a move or two isn't that bad of a nerf and still makes characters useful.

Thinkerer
Kree

30 Mar 2016, 13:37 #24

Penance Stare and such doesnt even work on everyone.
So, 5 mega's it is?

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

30 Mar 2016, 14:12 #25

For megas anything more than five would be a mess. Don't want these things too hard to call.