March Writing Competition (Winners Announced!)

A great opportunity for writers to showcase their talent.

Moderators: Feral Female, Miles_Warren, Feral Female, Miles_Warren

March Writing Competition (Winners Announced!)

Miles_Warren
Eternal

01 Mar 2015, 18:46 #1

Welcome to the March writing competition :guitar: Please read the rules before entering

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comi ... opic=11460

Some important info for this month:

1) Entrants have until March 27th 4pm EST to submit an entry for the competition

2) Voting will then open for entrants before closing on March 29th 4pm EST

3) Voting for non-entrants will then open before closing on March 30th 4pm EST

Best of luck to all entrants

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

01 Mar 2015, 20:40 #3

I might decide to enter this month :iknowiknow:

02 Mar 2015, 10:50 #4

I'll toss my bonnet into the ring. =)

SciRob
Inhuman

02 Mar 2015, 13:02 #5

What's the topic for this month's?

Miles_Warren
Eternal

02 Mar 2015, 13:16 #6

SciRob @ Mar 2 2015, 01:02 PM wrote: What's the topic for this month's?
There is no topic. Just write about whatever you want and post your entry here. :friends:

SciRob
Inhuman

02 Mar 2015, 13:49 #7

Alrighty, thanks for that!

02 Mar 2015, 17:22 #8

Whatever topic??

I think I'll write about alien macaroni that stage an invasion as they disguise themselves as Italian food.

It will start off like this:

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

Miles_Warren
Eternal

02 Mar 2015, 18:00 #9

Big Thunder! @ Mar 2 2015, 05:22 PM wrote: Whatever topic??

I think I'll write about alien macaroni that stage an invasion as they disguise themselves as Italian food.

It will start off like this:

"It was a dark and stormy night..."
I'll accept that, but only if it has a Marvel/Star Wars theme to it.

SciRob
Inhuman

04 Mar 2015, 10:57 #10

That'll be something to read. And here's my entry for the competition. Took 5 pages to do but I'm rather happy with it. I call it 'When The Lightning Strikes' and is set in the Flash 2014 tv series. Also is the first time I've ever done a Flash related story. And I figured using bold for the Reverse Flash when he speaks was a good way to distinguish him since he uses his speed on his vocal chords when he talks.

-------------------

It had been a week since Ronnie and Professor Stein had left Central City and while Caitlin wasn't entirely crushed over his leaving, she still wasn't too happy over it. But she understood his reasons for leaving and hoped it wouldn't be too long before he came back. Though after an encounter with Iris, she was feeling a slight sense of suspicion towards the girl and had meant to talk to Barry about it. But had yet to do so due to a variety of things that went on. But she figured that conversation would happen sooner or later. Of course what she even expected him to do was a bit beyond her, but she hoped today would give her the chance to talk to him about it. That's if her speedy friend didn't decide to accept a challenge made to him recently over the air waves. And it had all began last night when the apptly named Reverse Flash appeared on a live broadcast and challenged Barry to a fight in front of City Hall at 3PM. Which led to a spoiled evening for Barry who had been on a date with Linda at the time.

Course if Linda had known Barry is also the Flash, she would have done even more to get him not to accept the challenge for fear of his life after she had learned why he wasn't happy over the broadcast. Sure the two hadn't been together long, but she was really starting to care for him despite that. Although she had this impression from Iris that the girl wasn't particularly happy about their relationship despite how she claimed otherwise. But hey, as far as Linda was concerned. It was a case of snooze you loose. She hoped though that her and the girl could be friends however. She then glanced at a nearby clock and realized it was close to three. And hoped that Barry would keep his word to her and just let the Flash or the police handle the yellow speedster.

Meanwhile over at City Hall, SWAT teams were finishing up preparations to bring down the yellow menace that had challenged the red speedster to a fight here. Both Detective Thawne and Detective West were there too alongside Eddie's taskforce. Eddie had been praying to whoever would listen that there would be little to no life lost here today. And while he still wanted to catch the Flash, the man in yellow presented more of a danger at the moment then he did and was more of a priority for the time being. Several news crews were there too, along with news choppers ready in the wings just in case the fight went elsewhere. And then right before their very eyes, the man in yellow appeared before them.

The Reverse Flash looked at his surroundings with a small smirk on his face. Happy that the news media were in attendance as he wished to have his victory be seen by many as possible. “Hmmph... I see the Little Flash has yet to appear. Perhaps he chose the coward's way out? And to all you officers of the Law, I warn you now. Should you choose to interfere at any point, I will NOT hesitate to end your life.” He called out forbodingly, daring any to challenge him.

To his disaapointment however, none did rise up to the bait as at that moment the Flash appeared a short distance from him. Who had spent a large part of the day being pretty much begged by the entire STAR Labs team along side Joe to not do it. Even his own father didn't want him doing this if it meant his own life. But he couldn't ignore it cause who knew what the other man would do if he didn't show up? The scenarios in his head weren't pretty at all. Even Felicity when she learned of what was going on had tried talking out of it. Or to at least wait until back up could get there to help him out. His response to her had been to merely go ahead and send the help, but he wasn't about to wait for them. Felicity hadn't been happy about it and promised to raise Hell the next time she saw him. And it was something he could live with. That is if he managed to make it through this day.

He vibrated his voice to make sure no one knew who he really was. “Alright, I'm here now. And I promise you, I am going to take you down this time.” He wasn't sure how, but he damn well planned to do it.

Reverse Flash merely smirked at him before replying. “We shall see Little Flash, we shall see.”

And with that, he sped at Barry aiming to knock him off his feet. Barry's eyes widened in surprise before ducking out of the way and making to make a hit of his own on the other man. But his opponent quickly dodged and managed to land a blow to the side of Barry's face. Causing him to stagger back a bit. Quickly shaking it off he went in for another attack. And soon the two were trading blows at high speeds. Almost like something you'd see in an anime even too. The man in yellow however managed to slam Barry on to the top of a car. Making him yell out in pain before rolling off the car. “I am thus far not impressed Little Flash. You are going to have to do better if you wish to beat me.” He called out tauntingly.

This only served to anger Barry and in a flash managed with a lot of luck on his side this time to land a hit to his opponent's stomach. Causing him to double over. Seeing his opportunity, Barry quickly gave him an uppercut which sent him to the ground. But unfortunately it wasn't enough as he could hear sinister chuckling coming from the man. “Nice try, but you'll have to do better than that I'm afraid.”

Many in the city had stopped what they were doing to watch this fight happen. And quite a few were clearly in the Flash's corner too. Doing all sorts of chants for him to be the victor in this. However, Detective West was ready to step in and give the yellow clad family destroyer a piece of his ever lovin' mind. But knew it would be an extremely bad idea. He had to wince though when Barry got slammed again into another vehicle, but this time it was on the side of it. “Come on son, you can do this. If not for yourself, then for your mother.” He muttered to himself, but Eddie being nearby was able to hear it. And started to feel a slight sense of dread since his partner seemed to know the Flash so well.

Barry went in for another strike against the yellow speedster, but was instead sent careening into a particularly big window of a building nearby thanks to being tripped. Grabbing a wooden chair that was near, he rushed back and slammed it onto the Reverse Flash. However to his disappointment, he blocked it with his arm. But he had a feeling it still hurt like hell. “Hah, nice try Little Flash. But it still won't be enough.” He gave what looked to be a grin at Barry, but there was nothing jovial about it.

“Let's see if you can catch me.” And with that, he sped off causing Barry to groan in annoyance and soon chased after him.

This got the various news choppers going as they hoped to find them. Back at the news station where Iris and Linda were, Iris could be seen with a scared look in her eyes for her speedy friend. Hands holding one another tightly in front of her chest as she gave a silent prayer for him to make it through this. Wondering why her boss had yet to get her out the door and to the action. But the man himself had chosen her safety over the story. Perhaps once the fight was over maybe, but not right now. And he'd make sure to mention that later.

As the Reverse Flash neared a construction site, he stopped in front of it and waited for Barry to show up. Which was not long fortunately. Having a little smirk at the idea he got, he speedily side stepped Barry and brought out his foot again for him to trip on. Barry's high speed caused him to go careening yet again into pipes and other material that was there. Making for a lot of loud banging noises and unknowingly at the time causing his mask to tear up. The man in yellow quickly grabbed a pipe and swung it like one might a bat. Ready to gave his opponent a good whacking with it. Barry groaned as he tried to get all the construction material off of him and painfully rose to his feet. Glaring at the man who killed his mother, he noticed the pipe in his hands and grabbed one close to him and sped at the man. A loud clanging could be heard as the two pipes connected.

Barry's uniform could be seen with several tears in it as well after the fall he'd had. The two sped everywhere in the construction zone making loud clanging noises as they crossed pipes time and time again. A news chopper soon made it there to broadcast their fight. While the Reverse Flash had been hurt a few times, the damage he had done to Barry was still greater. And Barry's resolve to get more hits in grew stronger. Not to mention the fact he was getting angrier by the minute too. “Why. Can't. You. Just. Stand. There. AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN!!” He roared out angrily, and successfully getting the yellow speedster in his face.

The attack caused him to stagger back a bit with a cry of pain. The yellow man was honestly surprised by it, but didn't let it show. Barry's anger was good for him as far as he was concerned. As it meant he'd give in to desperation in his quest to beat him. The chance for mistakes was a good likelyhood as well for him to exploit. “Yesssss... Use that anger Little Flash. Use it, and hurt me. If you can.” Knowing his goading would likely help out quite a bit.

With a yell of rage, Barry went in for another attack that was aimed for the midsection with his pipe. But instead of just standing there, the Reverse Flash moved a bit to grab on to the end of the pipe Barry had and used the momentum to swing Barry into a wooden wall support. The wood managed to tear off his mask fully and graze him pretty badly. Getting back up with a groan, he staggered out of where he was. Blood could be seen coming down the side of his face. But the anger and determination could be seen plain as day in his eyes. As Barry had stopped caring to hide his face now, determined to use all his speed to beat the man who murdered his mother.

Unknown to Barry however, Joe and the others had been making their way to wherever they were. Eddie and the others not in the know soon got one heck of a shock when someone on the radio let out a surprise at who the Flash really was. Eddie looked over at Joe with that sense of dread now worse than before. “You knew, didn't you?”

Joe looked over at his partner briefly before putting his eyes back on the road. “Yeah, I've known awhile now.” He muttered softly in response, worried as Hell about his surrogate son.

“Damn...” Was all Eddie could say.

As for Linda and Iris however, only Linda was taking it slightly more better then what Iris was. As the girl had fallen into a nearby chair and could be seen staring in horror at what she had just learned with tears coming down her face. Despite only taking it slightly better, Linda was still in a hell of a lot of shock at seeing her boyfriend taking on his mom's killer. And was pretty close to tears herself as her hands had covered her mouth. “And he still went... Even after he promised me he wouldn't.” She softly said, causing Iris to stare at her while ignoring the sympathetic looks they were getting from everyone.

“You knew?” Came her disbelieving question. How could she know but not her!?

Linda looked over at her. “About his more speedy side? No, but I was with him last night when that guy got on the airwaves. Trust me, had I known about this. I would have hit him over the head and tied him down to keep him from leaving.” Ohh her man was getting hit hard for this. And would eat the most spiciest damn thing in existence before she would finally forgive him for not keeping his promise.

Iris didn't have anything to say to that. Plus the idea of her tying down Barry for any reason really didn't sit too well with her for one reason or another.

As for Barry and the Reverse Flash, the two had lost their pipes as both had stolen the other's and were now trading vicious punches with one another as they sped through the city. News choppers above trying desperately to keep up. And before long, the two were in a residential area. And had Barry been paying more attention he would have realized just where exactly the area was too. Throwing Barry into a parked vehicle, he gave another smirk as he noticed a certain house they were right in front of. “Well well Little Flash, it seem as though Destiny has decided our course to be here. Fitting perhaps I suppose, as its time we end this.” Oh he had such a delicious idea as to how and end it too! It would be unlikely to kill him, but the utter embarrassing humilation the boy would have would be well worth it.

Barry painfully stood up, gasping for air as he was hurting all over. He so wanted to try a damn Mach 1 punch on the jerk, but didn't think life would make it that easy for him. It was then that he realized where they were after the other man's words had been spoken. “You call it destiny, I call it a crutch for you to lean on to justify your actions!” For all the things Barry Allen believed in, destiny just wasn't one of them.

“Hah! Not a believer then are we? I suppose we'll just have to make you one then Little Flash. It was destiny then when I took her life, it was destiny when you weren't able to beat me in our last encounters. And it WILL be destiny yet again that will be favorable for me!” Any response he got was met with one of the hardest punches he'd gotten in some time to his jaw.

“TO HELL WITH YOUR DESTINY!” Barry roared out at him, determined to once and for all to bring this man to justice.

Unknown to the two however, a STAR Labs van had shown up with two very eager guests on the inside who wanted to get in on the action.

The two speedsters began to viciously trade blows yet again until the yellow speedster managed to get a good grip on Barry and chucked him into one of the windows of his former house. Causing part of the wall to be destroyed. The lady of the house who'd been living there looked on in shock before screaming and getting out of there as quick as she was able too. Leaving the front door open in her wake.

A loud yell could be heard coming inside the house from Barry, and deciding to not wait any longer. The man in yellow sped inside and the two traded more blows. Barry fought as hard as he could, even managing to shove his opponent's head pretty hard into walls and various furniture. Especially if it had glass in it. However, his mother's killer landed a good solid blow to his spine with an elbow. Forcing him to his hands and knees in the process. The Reverse Flash sped out of the house afterwards and very quickly went around it in circles. What he was doing was anyone's guess but it couldn't be any good.

Come on Barry, you can do this! You have to do this! He thought to himself, hoping the self encouragement would help out in someway.

As he forced himself to stand up, his back made an audible popping noise and he grimaced from the pain he felt. He rushed back towards the living room and the window he had been thrown into. Seeing the man who haunted him for a good portion of his life standing with his arms crossed in front of him like he had just gained the victory made his blood boil. And making to run at him, he wound up staggering instead as his speed seemed to finally give out. What!? No! Not now! He thought despondently.

However, as he tried to run again. But this time at a more normal pace, the only part of him that managed to make it out of the house was his hand. As the earlier work of the Reverse Flash made itself known as the house Barry once lived in crashed in all around him. Burying him in all its constructed glory.

The man in yellow began to laugh at that. The sight of it had causing many, including Iris and Linda to cry out in shock at seeing Barry be buried like that. Iris soon took off, with Linda following closely behind to get to Barry.

“Destiny it seems, rewards me yet again Little Flash. Perhaps the next time we meet you will be luckier.” Laughing darkly, he made to speed off to celebrate his victory when all of a sudden he was struck in the face.

Forcing him yet again to stagger away. He quickly looked to see who his attacker was. Though the police were beginning to arrive, it was clearly not them. It was then that he noticed a man of metal. Girder as he became known as. Staring at him with rage clearly seen in his features. “For your sakes asshole, Allen had damn well better be alive under all that crap.” Girder told him, rage clearly heard in his voice.

“Oh, and what will you do little metal man?” Was his taunting reply to the little fool. But he would show the meddler his just due.

It was then that an arrow embedded itself into the ground near his yellow booted feet, looking at it in confusion. He started to bend down to grab it, but was soon blown several feet away and on to his back. He then heard a voice call out. “Well, I don't know about him. But I'll sure as hell do something.”

Getting to his feet and feeling the burns of the blast. He looked at the one responsible with a glare clearly seen in his eyes. Noticing the one responsible wearing red and wielding a bow with an arrow ready to be fired at him. “Damned meddlers! Not your place to interfere! But no matter you fools, I have gained the victory this time as destiny has made it so. But have no fear, I will be back. And you won't like it when I do.” He warned the two as menacingly as possible before speeding off to heal and recover.

Girder and Arsenal looked at one another in relief as they weren't quite sure if they would have been able to win that one before rushing off to get Barry out of the rubble. With Joe, Eddie, and others soon joining in. What happens now was anyone's guess.

Miles_Warren
Eternal

04 Mar 2015, 16:35 #11

Excellent entry SciRob. Welcome to the competition [happy] I enjoyed the fight between Flash and Reverse Flash. Very well written.

SciRob
Inhuman

05 Mar 2015, 02:06 #12

Thanks Miles! I appreciate it!

05 Mar 2015, 11:35 #13

Great entry SciRob! And welcome to the competition. =)

SciRob
Inhuman

05 Mar 2015, 11:44 #14

Thanks Feral! Much appreciated!

ewkada
Inhuman

07 Mar 2015, 20:34 #15

Wow, good fight SciRob
it seems your Barry and me are very alike: I often have to face problems that seem to be overwhelming but I can't give up. Giving up is not my nature.

SciRob
Inhuman

09 Mar 2015, 06:28 #16

ewkada @ Mar 7 2015, 02:34 PM wrote: Wow, good fight SciRob
it seems your Barry and me are very alike: I often have to face problems that seem to be overwhelming but I can't give up. Giving up is not my nature.
Thanks, and heck yeah!

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

10 Mar 2015, 20:53 #17

I thought I'd enter this month and put in the story in which Magneta first turned Dark Magneta (her dark side has long since gone you'll be pleased to hear).

Before what happened in these next two chapters, Magneta had been slowly loosing control of her powers and had discovered her dark side which caused quite a lot of problems for her for a while...and also included the destruction of the Brotherhood of Mutants. The sole survivor had been Mystique and it was her who had told the X-Men and Magneto that Magneta had taken the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

Dark Magneta

Chapter 6

‘I wonder what can be taking them so long to come down here?!’ I snapped, throwing my sword on the floor which made a loud clanging noise in the old ballroom, ‘surely Magneto’s magnetic attraction is going off the scales by now!’

I had both Wanda and Pietro tied up in the middle of the room on wooden poles. I had surprised both the twins when I showed up like this.

‘At least he and the X-Men are going to kick your tail-end into next week Dark Magneta!’ Pietro snapped back.

I froze where I was.

‘You’ve done it now Pietro’ Wanda hissed, ‘now she’ll kill us before they get down here.’

‘You know…I’ve never really been that type of girl Wanda with this killing thing that everyone seems to have in mind’ I said, my back still to them, ‘in fact, everyone seems to think that I don’t kill. It’s best if I let you both go. After all; you’re my stepchildren and I’m supposed to treat you like you’re my own anyway that I can.’

Pietro and Wanda both looked at each other, wondering if I was playing some sort of game with them.

‘Pietro…I’m sure you’re familiar with a song called “The Other Side of Me” aren’t you?’ I asked, still not turning around.

Pietro just looked at the floor and muttered a yes.

‘I do believe that this is one of those times again’ I grinned.

I whipped around and then-

BANG!

Chapter 7

Wanda’s scream echoed through the secret stairway, causing everyone to freeze.

‘She didn’t?!’ Storm whispered.

‘Magneta just did’ Magneto answered.

The door banged open, making me whip around.

‘Right on time!’ I said.

Pietro was lying on the floor in a pool of his own blood, I had Wanda in a tight grip in my arms, my sword at her throat. Everyone was too busy staring at the mess on the floor in horror to make any sudden moves.

‘Don’t worry; he’s still alive’ I assured, ‘but judging by the fact that the bullet went right through Quicksilver’s spine, I don’t think he’ll be moving very far. In fact, he won’t be running or walking ever again!’

‘Drop Wanda now Magneta or we’ll have to hurt you’ said Storm, stepping in front of Wolverine before he could make any moves against me.

‘Go ahead Storm; hurt me all you want…it won’t work, no matter how hard you try.’

A warning bolt of lightning shot from her but I dodged it.

‘Oh…go ahead; take the lady!’ I snapped throwing Wanda to the floor, ‘but I warn you lot; you’re making a big mistake!’

The whole room started to vibrate around me. I grinned as I forced the entire mansion to cave in, Storm’s scream being the last thing I heard before I blacked out.

To be continued

11 Mar 2015, 09:43 #18

Great entry, Magneta!

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

11 Mar 2015, 16:17 #19

Feral Female @ Mar 11 2015, 09:43 AM wrote: Great entry, Magneta!
Thanks Feral! I forgot to add that some members on here that might've been around on the original Marvel boards would probably remember that particular story-line and that it has been referenced in my more recent works.

SciRob
Inhuman

15 Mar 2015, 01:45 #20

Wowzers! I bet that would cause some bitterness from Quicksilver for a long time to come! Is Dark Magneta a play of sorts on the Dark Phoenix storyline?

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

15 Mar 2015, 08:41 #21

SciRob @ Mar 15 2015, 01:45 AM wrote: Wowzers! I bet that would cause some bitterness from Quicksilver for a long time to come! Is Dark Magneta a play of sorts on the Dark Phoenix storyline?
It was a little bit of an idea from there yes lol. Yeah, Quicksilver wasn't too thrilled with her afterwards for a very long time. It was one of my earlier-ish stories too.

SciRob
Inhuman

15 Mar 2015, 08:48 #22

Ohh I see now! Is all that on here too?

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

15 Mar 2015, 09:00 #23

SciRob @ Mar 15 2015, 08:48 AM wrote: Ohh I see now! Is all that on here too?
I twas on the original Marvel.com boards before they closed down but luckily I have it all on a word document on the computer.

15 Mar 2015, 09:55 #24

Heavy Metal - Issue # 13 - Haunted

(I own nothing that isn`t mine.)

In the last issue, Alex and several of the X-Men encountered the mutant Two Lips. During the ensuing fight, Alexander received a head injury while trying to defend his friend as well as the populace of San Francisco. Two Lips has managed to escape and Alex has come to inside a hospital to discover that his father, Tony Stark, is at his bedside.

*~*~*

"Alexander, wake up."My eyelids crept up. My father was leaning forward in his seat beside my hospital bed, his hand on my bicep comforting, his expression closed and tight. "Try to stay awake until we're sure that you`re done vomiting."

"'Kay." I wet my lips. "Can you dim the lights?"

"Of course." He squeezed my arm then rose from his chair with a groan. My stomach was tender but the need to toss my cookies had receded. I sighed when the room grew darker. Dad`s dress shoes made soft leathery squelchy sounds when he walked back to his seat. "Would you like something to drink?"

"Oh yeah," I said. The head of the bed rose slowly. Dad helped me get comfortable, or as comfortable as possible when you`re seeing two of everything. I hate to admit it, but my hands were shaking when I reached for the green plastic cup with a white bendy straw.

"Let me help you." My sight moved to my father. He looked like he had aged ten years since I had last seen him. His blue eyes crinkled at the corners as a rueful smile lifted the edges of his salt-and-pepper goatee. "Yes, I think there are a few more wrinkles and grey hairs since I got the call that you had been rushed to the hospital."

He placed the straw to my dry lips. I drew in a sip. That cold water was glorious as it slid down my throat. I began to drink greedily. Dad removed the straw from my lips.

"Don`t push it," he said in warning then put the cup back on the rolling bed table, beside a pitcher that had tiny beads of condensation on its side. Man was I tired. Dad leaned back into the chair, folded his arms, put one ankle to a knee, and looked at me with slightly narrowed eyes. "Care to tell me exactly what is going on out here?"

"Oh, you know, studying hard and beating up bad guys just like my old man." My voice sounded gruff but the double vision had subsided for the moment, which was a big win because one father giving you the evil eye was more than enough.

"Don`t," he snapped. "Don`t try to play me, Alexander. I am not your mother."

"Does she know?" For some reason the thought of my mother finding out scared me more than knowing my father knew. If she ever knew, she would have Metal turned into a dorm fridge.

"No, not yet, simply because I would incriminate myself because I knew you were in Metal, against her wishes. There are many words used to describe Tony Stark; handsome, brilliant, witty, and a fine dancer just to name a few, but never stupid, my son."He arched an eyebrow, which made me smile weakly. "So, no, she does not know. Yet." He steepled his fingers then rested them on his chin. The pose reminded me of a picture of my grandfather I had seen once. A dark-haired mogul, at the top of his game, dressed to the nines as they used to say, staring at the camera with the kind of assurance any male with the last name Stark carried, except me. "I'd like to keep it that way. So, give it to me straight, do not veer from the course, and I will try my level best not to raise my voice."

"It started with the lady I saved from being raped . . ."

When the end of the story came, my throat was dry again. My father had sat silently, listening, nodding when he felt a nod was required, and staring at me with deep blue eyes that did not waver from my face. I reached for the water, took a long sip and then closed my eyes. Someone with rubber -soled shoes hurried past the door to my private room. We sat there in silence as I drank my fill. When my thirst was slaked, I looked at my father and was shocked to see fear in his eyes.

"Do you know how close you came to being sucked into the turbines of the Blackbird?"

I shook my head and instantly regretted it. Dad started to rise when I moaned. I raised a hand. My eyes closed and my father sat back down, the stiff cushion of his chair crinkling loudly.

"Things got out of hand, I guess." My head was pounding once more, the nausea returning like an anxious tide eager to enter a secluded bay.

"Out of hand. Yes, that sounds about right." He was speaking faster now, a sure sign that he was angry and scared. "Alexander, you came within a foot of being chopped to bits. Playing around inside a turbine is ridiculously dangerous, foolhardy, and incredibly—"

"Didn`t you tell us about this one time when a turbine on a helicarrier was busted and you had to—"

"That was entirely different," he huffed. I battled not to smile.

"Do as I say not as I do, huh?" I asked, my head tipped back on a doubled-over pillow. My father made a grunting sound that was quite familiar. I bit back the next acerbic comment lingering on my tongue. "Sorry," I murmured. "I don`t feel good."

"I know you don`t so I'll let that slide. Son, I know how much Metal means to you. And I'd be lying if I said that my buttons weren`t busting to know that you're out there trying to follow in my footsteps, but until further notice you`re grounded."

I sat up too quickly for brain conditions. My vision swam and my gut rolled over. My father sat with his arms resting on his chest, his mouth a slim line. The grey pinstripes on his blue suit stood out sharply even though he had muted the overhead lighting.

"Dad, don`t do that. I need to find Two Lips," I pleaded, the thin blanket slipping down from my chest to pool in my lap.

"Sorry, it `s a done deal," he said. "The X-Men can find this Two Lips. Until I am one hundred percent sure that Metal is operating up to my specs, you are spending your time on the Caltech campus doing what I am paying a hefty sum for you to do, which is get a degree so you can join me at Stark Resilient."

"Dad, you are being completely unfair," I argued with as much vehemence as I could muster, which wasn`t much. "The foul-ups were user error, not the suits."

My father shrugged a shoulder and I knew I right then that I was fighting a losing battle.

"Then the user needs to spend more time in training before he gets his ass diced up like ginger chicken. End. Of. Discussion, Alexander." He showed me his palm when I opened my mouth. I closed my jaw so soundly it reverberated through my teeth into my head, which made the throbbing ten times worse for a couple minutes.

"You`re being a dictator," I grumbled when the pain subsided. "That`s my armor."

"No, it is technically my armor. You built it from my old components. Do you need me to ring for the nurse, you look peaked again." Dad got up quickly to reach for the call button draped over the back of my bed. I waved it off. He stayed standing this time, probably a psychological ploy. You know, towering over and looking down at me to remind me who the paterfamilias was. "You need to focus on your school work. When you come home for Thanksgiving you can pick up Metal."

"Thanksgiving?" Good thing I hadn`t had a mouthful of water or the spit-take would have garnered many claps. My father cocked an eyebrow, a move used to quell those who weren`t prepared to challenge him in a verbal battle. That would not be his son. "That`s ridiculous. Just hook Metal up to your latest version, run some diagnostics, tweak what needs tweaked, and drop a new program or two into the databanks. Two days tops."

"Thanksgiving and that is the last I want to hear about it. Now, you have friends out in the hall that want to see you. Shall I show them in or would you like to sit there and pout for a while longer?"

Damn it but he made me so mad at times. He was tyrannical to the nth and always so sure that his way was the only way. I rolled my head away from him. I heard him exhale and did not give any shits about how snubbed he was feeling right now.

"I'll be out in the hall. Please try to remember that I am only doing this because you are my only son. Someday I would like to see at you my side making the world a better place."

"Way to be the sexist jerk to your daughters," I snarled, hoping the barb sunk in deep. By the shaggy sound of his quick intake of breath, I had hit a sore spot. Good. The air between us hummed for a moment then the leathery squelchy sound of my sire stalking to the door filled my ears. Out he went, in came the sounds of a busy hospital. I gave the mattress on either side of me a good pounding. The shockwaves raced up the bed to my head. Moaning at the pain, I stopped beating the bedding and tried to relax. Maybe if I got all namaste it would make the headache abate.

"Your dad said we could come in for five minutes," a soft feminine voice called. I forced my eyes open and my head to lift from the pillows. Rhianna Wilson smiled at me around the door, her long brown hair sliding off her shoulder. "You have other friends out here, if you want to see them first. Or maybe you don`t want to see us at all?"

"No, I do. Come in." It was the truth. I did want to see her and Adam before they split. Rhianna slipped inside with Adam in tow. He ducked to avoid frontal lobe damage from the doorframe. Hand in hand, the two mutants inched closer to my bed. "Can you do your stuff on me?"

"I`d love to," Rhianna smiled. I kid you not a wee bit of harmony settled on my soul. Adam watched from the foot of my bed as his girlfriend placed her hands to my temples. She closed her eyes. I kept mine open so I could converse with Summers. Words started to form but then I forgot them when her powers began to seep into my skull. Warmth flooded my head. The pain began to ease. I nearly wept at the relief.

"We wanted to make sure that you were okay," I heard Adam say. I nodded timidly, scared of another round of agony breaking out. Nothing but a dull thump-thump-thump, hallelujah and praise whomever you praised for mutant powers. "Rhianna felt responsible for your injury and wanted to do what she could to heal you."

"I`d marry you if not for my fear of him making my head explode," I whispered to the pretty brunette sitting beside me. She shushed me while wearing a contented smile.

"We wanted you to know," Adam broke into the whispering, "that we were never using you or truly suspected you of anything. We know you. Deep down," he tapped his left pectoral as Rhianna hummed a lullaby that my mom used to hum when I was hurt or upset. Her power coursed through my body and I had never felt better in my life. "Deep down I knew you would never hurt us, or our kind. Sorry for having that moment of doubt. Sometimes when the world turns against you and yours you forget that there are good people out there who aren't out to eradicate you because of your skin color, sexual preferences, or genetic makeup."

"It`s all good, I understand." Rhianna lifted her fingers from my temples then leaned in to peck my cheek. Summers shuffled at the foot of the bed, his eyes moving to the door when it slid open.

"Times up," my father called then let the door slowly close once again. Rhianna sighed then got to her white boots, her gaze lingering on me as she walked over to weave her fingers through Adam`s.

"I hope you can come visit us when you're home for the holidays," she said.

"I will so do that. Hey, about Two Lips . . ."

Adam shook his head at my question. "We'll find him though. No mutant can evade Cerebra for long."

"Drop me a text when you nail the slime, okay?" Adam nodded then reached across the foot of the bed. I slapped my palm into his. The dude had a grip like a steel leg hold trap.

"I'll do that." We all looked to the right when the door opened yet again. Not my dad but Tinker and Amy filled the doorway. The four visitors nodded and muttered at each other as the mutants left and my school friends entered.

"Mister Tinkerman and Ms. Sato." I smiled at them as they crept into my sick room. Amy walked up to the bed, bent over, and stared right into my face. "It is really good to see you."

"You don't look sick," she said, her breath tinted with peppermint.

"I'm not, well, not anymore. That girl that just left is . . ." It almost rolled out of my mouth. I bit it back. Who was I to out someone in a world that hated those it deemed different? ". . .an old friend with a real healing touch."

"Well when you get better I am going to kick your ass for getting hurt," the Asian Hobbit informed me, thin arms crossed over her chest and almond eyes flashing.

"You realize that what you just said makes no sense at all, right?" Tinker asked and then dropped his lanky self into the chair my dad had been sitting in. "Ignore her," he said and got a glower from Ms. Sato, "she`s been on a tear since we heard about you getting banged up. You`d think you were her little brother or something. So, you want to tell us what happened first or do you want me to tell you about our date Friday night with some very friendly young ladies?"

Tinker waggled an eyebrow and Amy went off like a tiny bomb. The two fell into a heated argument that made me feel almost as good as Rhianna Wilson`s amazing powers had. I sat back in the bed, my friends arguing about much of a troll Tinker was or was not, and I stared at the back of the door. Just outside was my father, the armor thief. Somewhere out there, way past my father and the hospital I was in was Two Lips. He had slipped away from the X-men and me but I had a creepy premonition sort of feeling his path and mine would cross again sometime. Next time I ran into him, I would be ready. I would train harder in Metal, once I got it back, and I would not be taken out so easily again. For now, though, I had nothing but time, a paper for Nano-to-Macro to finish and an unwanted double date.

I'd be bored out of my mind by the second week of November unless I could find something exceedingly cool to occupy myself. And no, that was not going to be "Friendly Doreen."

To be continued . . .

Miles_Warren
Eternal

15 Mar 2015, 09:55 #25

Sweet entry Mags. I wouldn't mind readng more about Dark Magneta :thbsup: