January Writing Competition

A great opportunity for writers to showcase their talent.

Moderators: Feral Female, Miles_Warren, Feral Female, Miles_Warren

January Writing Competition

02 Jan 2015, 10:56 #1

Happy New Year guys,

Welcome to the January writing competition. Please read the rules before submitting an entry.

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comi ... opic=11460

Some important info for this month:

1)Entrants have until 4pm EST January 26th to submit an entry

2) Voting for entrants will then take place before closing on January 28th 4pm EST

3) Voting for non-entrants will take place before closing on January 29th 4pm EST

Good luck to all entrants!

Feral

02 Jan 2015, 11:00 #2

*tosses bonnet into ring and crosses fingers*

If all goes according to Hoyle, I should have this book completed soon.

03 Jan 2015, 17:35 #3

Having escaped the Ti'i Pirates holding him captive less than a month earlier, Antoneid Starek, a genius former Imperial Engineer has found refuge with the Rebel Alliance. Admiral Namor Ackbar has accepted him into their ranks and, after explaining the danger of the weapon he designed that the Ti'i now possess, plans have been made to hunt the weapon down and destroy it...

Marvel Star Wars: Arsenal - Chapter Nine

The Rebel base on Mogrieth, four days later…

Mace Fury, the Rebel Alliance’s chief of security made his way down the base’s main hall, passing dozens of troops and droids that were going about their business moving supplies and materials, going to or returning from duty stations or performing security patrols. It was standard military protocol for troops to salute their command staff, but Fury had made it clear to everyone in the base that he thought it was both distracting to him and kept them from performing their duties in the most efficient manner.

At the end of his short journey through the base, he entered the small maintenance hangar which was attached to the larger main hangar. Upon entering it, he found a single X-Wing fighter which had been partially disassembled. He also found out that he could barely hear himself think with music blaring through the hangar.

”Why did you leave my heart in your hyperspace wake?
Why did you leave so quickly after making my heart break?
When after so many years of being together,
Do you think our bond would a few lightyears sever? “

Mace turned and looked for the main control panel as several of the base’s technicians had stopped what they were doing and were watching him with embarrassed looks on their faces. Seeing the hangar’s main control panel, the security director promptly marched over to it, found the room’s PA system and shut it down.

“Hey! What’s the big idea?! Who turned off my music?”

The voice came from underneath the aft end of the fighter, indicating the location of the culprit that had breached the base’s protocols. The voice was owned by none other than the same man that he had come to look for.

As Fury approached the fighter, he heard the sound of a few tools dropping to the hangar’s deck as the man dressed in coveralls slid out from a table he had been laying on underneath the fighter’s hull.

“I mean, really,” the man grumbled wiping dirt and grease from his forehead, not seeing the perturbed security director standing in front of him. “If I’m going to get anything accomplished, I’d like to have a comfortable environment. It would be a lot easier if I didn’t come out here every time someone…whoa, hello, Director Fury.”

Mace stood in front of him, fists planted in his sides.

“What are you doing, Starek?”

“Listening to Boundless Stars by Mareen Denuce,” Antoneid explained. “I’ve never heard of her before a few hours ago. Really, I’ve always been a connoisseur of Bith Jazz. Hadn’t paid much to Classical ballads before, but that woman’s got a voice that could melt adamantium. Please tell me the Rebel Alliance has got a musical talent pool and that she’s in it. You know I’ve never pictured myself as ever becoming a groupie, but I could make the adjustment if…”

“She’s been dead for about two hundred and fifty years,” Mace said with a single eyebrow raised under which a single brown eye glared at him.

“I’m not talking about the music, Antoneid,” Mace said loudly. “I’m talking about the INCOMM DL-112 X-Wing Multirole variable geometry starfighter that I’m seeing before me lying in pieces. Its designation is Blue Three and the last I checked, Blue Three wasn’t in need of any maintenance.”

Antoneid’s eyes widened, he turned and gave the fighter a quick look and then turned back to Mace.

“Oh…yeah,” Antoneid said with a sheepish smile. “I…well, I’ve been working on an idea in my head about a couple things over the last two days. I needed to take a look at the plasma conductors that mate the drive systems to the shield generators in the X-Wings. You see, I don’t think those guys at INCOMM had used the proprietary arrest systems in the…”

“Blue Three is supposed to go on a system patrol in three minutes,” Mace said, continuing to stare at him.

“Oh…it is?” Antoneid blinked. “Um…there’s quite a few fighters in this hangar. Maybe the pilot could borrow…?”

“And we were supposed to be on board the Avenger fifteen minutes ago,” Mace loudly told him. “On that mission I’ve been reminding you about for the last four days.”

Antoneid’s mouth dropped open. “Oh! That was today?”

“Deck officer!” Mace shouted and a uniformed soldier ran to him. Immediately, Mace could see that that the woman was wearing a deservedly embarrassed expression.

“Sir, I tried to explain to him why he shouldn’t…”

Mace placed his face inches from hers. “Explain the situation to Lt. Jansen. Ask the commander of Gold group if Blue group can borrow one of their X-Wing fighters for the next five hours.”

“Yes, sir. I…”

“And I want to read a report when I get back that Blue Three was reassembled before 0900 today,” Mace told her angrily. “Is that clear, lieutenant?”

“Clear, sir,” the woman answered, snapping to attention and giving him a sharp salute. He stepped back, returned the salute then stormed out of the hangar with Antoneid following close behind.

“Really, Sceana’s a nice girl,” Antoneid commented as the two walked down the hall, not noticing that everyone was giving them a wide berth given the director’s obvious anger. “She’s a little rough around the edges, but once you get to know her…”

“Lt. Sceana Ruul is married to Captain Olvar Ruul,” Mace told him.

Antoneid rolled his eyes. “Oh, I see. Antoneid Stark made friends with a female human being and all of the sudden everyone assumes that he’s making advances and robbing Capt. Ruul (who I am considering to be a lucky man by the way) of his wonderful wife. I’m sorry to confuse you, but I had a ton of questions about the X-Wing’s design and she gave me quite a few answers. She was kind enough to let me borrow that particular fighter after I had explained some ideas I have for a couple new fighter types I have in mind.”

Mace stopped in front of the door to the main hangar and turned to glare at him. “That’s why we’ve got holographic designs that I gracefully allowed to be downloaded into your private comp, Starek. You shouldn’t need to be taking apart my ships when I’ve got a base, nineteen thousand, seven hundred and fifteen people, two hundred and five fighters, six transports and six fully blown Mon Calamari battle cruisers to protect and maintain.”

“I see your point, but I prefer ‘hands on’ to looking at a bunch of suspended photons hanging in the air in front of me,” Antoneid replied.

“And, I thought you weren’t going to make weapons for us?” Mace reminded him.

“No advanced weapons,” the genius engineer replied. “The ideas I have are based on existing technology. I call the ships I have in mind the ‘Starek Industries A-Wing Interceptor’ and the ‘B-Wing Heavy Attack Fighter’. I’m thinking Dr. Pym, Admiral Ackbar and that jewel of a queen we have named Mon Mothma will like the designs.”

“Mon Mothma happens to be very close to Dr. Pym,” Mace told him, rolling his single eye. “And her title is ‘President’, not ‘Queen’.”

“Ah! There you go again,” Antoneid said shaking his head in frustration. “I make a compliment about a woman and everyone assumes I’ve got plans. Really, I hope we get to know each other better on this hunt you’ve organized, Dir. Fury. You’ll realize I can be quite serious…when I want to be.”

Mace waved his palm at a sensor on the side of the door and it opened, looking at him doubtfully.

“Well, for now, just get to the shuttle,” Mace told him. “You’ve got a dozen fighter pilots, who are used to keeping a tight schedule, waiting for the two of us.”

“Again, my apologies,” Antoneid said as he walked through the door toward the group of fighter pilots that were waiting next to a boxy orbital shuttle. “Hey, good to see you guys again! Sorry for the wait, but I’ve been doing my part to make our war effort that much better. Commander Hill, good to see you again.”

The squadron’s leader, Com. Yalee “Wedge” Hill, a tall woman in her early thirties with short dark hair nodded before picking up a duffle bag and silently walking up the shuttle’s boarding ramp. As if on command, the rest of the group grabbed similar duffle bags and followed her into the ship followed by Antoneid and Mace. The ship was large enough to hold thirty average sized humanoids, their gear and several droids. Once in the ship, Mace walked to the shuttle’s cockpit, Com. Hill sat by the door nearest the entrance ramp and most of the others sat in the rows right behind her. Farther back in the cabin a single brown haired female pilot struggled to fit her duffle bag into an overhead bin.

“Oh, let me help you with that,” Antoneid said coming up to her and grabbing the side of the bag.

“Don’t touch me,” the girl quietly snapped at him. Antoneid raised his hands away from the bag defensively.

“Sorry, just trying to be helpful,” he explained. “I’m sure you’ve heard things about me, but trust me, I can be a gentleman when I want.”

She didn’t look at him. “I don’t like people touching me.”

Antoneid nodded. “Well, you have nothing to fear from me. Are your hands cold?”

The girl briefly looked at him, revealing steel green eyes.

“No,” she said placing her gloved hands into her jacket’s pockets before sitting by herself in the back of the cabin. Antoneid looked at her and the several rows of seats separating her from the other members of Rogue Squadron.

Antoneid thought about sitting next to her, across from her or directly in front of her, but decided against it, afraid that his intentions would be taken the wrong way. Quietly he walked toward the front of the cabin and sat next to a dusty haired pilot named Nack.

“Don’t mind Rogue Three,” Nack said with a grin. “She’s cute, but she keeps to ‘erself. Great pilot, though. Good at takin’ orders and getting’ th’ rest of us out of jams but she’s not a conversationalist.”

“To each, his or her own, I guess,” Antoneid said. “Do you happen to know if we get an in flight meal or at least a snack? I’m really in the mood for some of those salty beeli nuts.”

Nack laughed knowing the flight up to the Rebellion’s newly acquired star destroyer named the Avenger in Mogrieth’s orbit would only take five or six minutes.

“Ah, well,” Antoneid said, putting his hands behind his head and closing his eyes. “Got up a few hours early this morning. A little shut eye would do me some good.”

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

03 Jan 2015, 20:28 #4

I think I might enter this month's competition, once I've made up my mind what story to post in.

ewkada
Inhuman

05 Jan 2015, 21:36 #5

:friends: choose a longer one Mag, or put three or four together, your stories read good in a bunch

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

05 Jan 2015, 21:41 #6

ewkada @ Jan 5 2015, 09:36 PM wrote: :friends: choose a longer one Mag, or put three or four together, your stories read good in a bunch
Thanks Ewkada :lol3: but I usually put in shorter entries for the comp :D

06 Jan 2015, 11:02 #7

Great entry, BT!

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

06 Jan 2015, 20:49 #8

Ok, for my entry this month, it's a chapter from Magneta's stories called 'Magneta and the Winter Soldier'. In the story, Magneta has been reunited with a brainwashed Bucky (who had been sent to assassinate her by Mister Sinister) for the first time in years and we had previously learned that Bucky had dated her (or at least tried to) for a very short while.

Magneta and the Winter Soldier

Chapter 5

That night, I lay awake. Erik was sound asleep next to me. To be honest, I didn’t know why I should be worried about Bucky’s return- if that’s what it was. In fact, I should be jumping for joy that a friend- who I had previously assumed was dead- was still alive after all these years but something in father’s voice when he spoke to me before he left told me otherwise.

I sighed heavily and got out of bed. I glanced over at Erik, still sleeping peacefully.

You’re lucky Erik I thought with a little smile, you don’t have to worry about old friends coming back from the dead.

I gave Erik a gentle kiss on the cheek. He muttered in his sleep but did not wake up. With that, I walked out of our bedroom and down into my own private lounge.

It was my own lounge in which Erik said that only I could come in and no-one else was allowed in...unless I had invited them in that was. At least...that’s what I thought was meant to happen. The moment I opened the door, a scent drifted up my nose. Not just any scent either; a very familiar scent. I stopped dead at the doorway and quietly closed the door behind me.

I was glad that I had inherited father’s animal senses. I knew that if I had been human and wondered in here, I wouldn’t have known how much danger I was in the moment I had put my foot in the room.

Ok; who’s been in here? I thought but I knew very well who had been here...and was still here.

‘You don’t have to hide. I know you’re here.’

A man stepped out from the shadows. Was that a cybernetic arm I could see on him? I smiled inwardly. Stupid fool. Wearing something metal on him was like asking for a death sentence from me (or Erik, if Erik had found him first).

‘Do you really think a load of knives, guns and a bionic arm are going to stop me?’ I asked, trying not to laugh.

The man just stood where he was. He was wearing some sort of face cloth that covered the bottom half of his face so I couldn’t make him out clearly...but his eyes were familiar. All he was doing was frowning at me. I inched forward and so did he, knife ready in case I attacked.

‘You really are a stupid fool. Or did you forget that I can control metal?’

‘...You know me Magneta?’ he asked, still frowning.
It was as if he recognized me but couldn’t remember where he had seen me before. I smiled sadly.

‘If you are who I think you are then yes we knew each other. Many years ago that was.’

The knife wasn’t steadying but the eyes told a different story. They were looking right through me, trying to remember who I was. Now I really felt sorry for what father must’ve went through back in his Weapon X days trying to regain his memory.

‘You’re lying.’

I shook my head.

‘No I’m not. Trust me. You and I go way back. The war-’

‘Don’t mention it!’ he yelled, hands over his hears and closing his eyes, as if in pain.

‘We worked together with Captain America. Remember him?’ I went on, ignoring the outburst.

He glanced at me. There was pain in those eyes...but pain of a different sort. He shook his head and ran at me with the knife. I blocked the blow with a raised arm and we just stood like that, inches from each other’s face.

Then he blinked in surprise.

‘Kayleigh Fox?’

‘Kayleigh Elizabeth Howlett now’ I corrected him with a little smile.

I was trying not to cry with joy. I gently removed the face cloth. He didn’t even flinch or back away as I thought he’d do.

‘Hello James Barnes’ I whispered.

Bucky just stood there looking stunned before, much my surprise and shock, he kissed me.

To be continued

ewkada
Inhuman

06 Jan 2015, 21:05 #9

BT, Mag, I love you both
:thbsup: :thbsup:

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

06 Jan 2015, 21:08 #10

ewkada @ Jan 6 2015, 09:05 PM wrote: BT, Mag, I love you both
Thanks Ewkada :lol3:

06 Jan 2015, 23:17 #11

ewkada @ Jan 6 2015, 03:05 PM wrote: BT, Mag, I love you both
Thanks, Ewkada!

I look forward to your next entry as well. Your English is improving.

07 Jan 2015, 10:20 #12

Well done, Magneta!

Magneta
Demi God
Magneta
Demi God

07 Jan 2015, 16:46 #13

Feral Female @ Jan 7 2015, 10:20 AM wrote: Well done, Magneta!
Thanks Feral :thbsup:

Miles_Warren
Eternal

12 Jan 2015, 11:17 #14

Great entries BT and Mags :thbsup:

Also thanks for hosting the comp again this month Feral. [happy] My internet access comes and goes in Malawi so I don't know how often I can be on the forums over the next couple of months. But I will try my darnest to continue running this comp even if it kills me lol

ewkada
Inhuman

12 Jan 2015, 21:40 #15

African' countries do not feel safe, my cousin has signed his contract for Nigeria (again), they pay a lot, he just coudn't resist. Are you safe, Miles, there in Malawi?
What water do you use/drink? Write a (ghost or bacteria :lol3: ) story about Malawi for us, please.

ewkada
Inhuman

12 Jan 2015, 21:43 #16

Big Thunder! @ Jan 6 2015, 05:17 PM wrote:
ewkada @ Jan 6 2015, 03:05 PM wrote: BT, Mag, I love you both
:thbsup:  :thbsup:
Thanks, Ewkada!

I look forward to your next entry as well. Your English is improving.
BT, thanx so much for encouraging me
I've got a loooong story, it's translation is almost finished
but now comes the correction stage :grin:

12 Jan 2015, 21:51 #17

hmm....i think i'm gonna enter in this month. Great stories Magneta & BT.

Miles_Warren
Eternal

13 Jan 2015, 09:36 #18

ewkada @ Jan 12 2015, 09:40 PM wrote: African' countries do not feel safe, my cousin has signed his contract for Nigeria (again), they pay a lot, he just coudn't resist. Are you safe, Miles, there in Malawi?
What water do you use/drink? Write a (ghost or bacteria :lol3: ) story about Malawi for us, please.
Hi ewkada,

I am pretty safe thanks for asking. The people are Malawi are very friendly. I mainly drink out of bottled water but I am told the water in the lodge I am staying is safe to consume as well (although I still boil it before use).

Nigeria sounds like fun. Hopefully your cousin enjoys his stay :) How long is it for?

And I definately need to get writing again. Haven't written anything since the April comp :surprise:

Miles_Warren
Eternal

13 Jan 2015, 09:37 #19

silverspidey4ever @ Jan 12 2015, 09:51 PM wrote: hmm....i think i'm gonna enter in this month. Great stories Magneta & BT.
Can't wait to read your entry SS :thbsup:

13 Jan 2015, 10:47 #20

Miles_Warren @ Jan 12 2015, 05:17 AM wrote: Great entries BT and Mags :thbsup:

Also thanks for hosting the comp again this month Feral. [happy] My internet access comes and goes in Malawi so I don't know how often I can be on the forums over the next couple of months. But I will try my darnest to continue running this comp even if it kills me lol
No problem, Miles. I'm happy to step in and help out when I can. =) Best of luck in Malawi!

Look forward to your entry, SS. As for mine, the book is close to done so hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll be free to whip out an issue of Metal! *crosses fingers and toes*

ewkada
Inhuman

13 Jan 2015, 20:54 #21

Miles_Warren @ Jan 13 2015, 03:36 AM wrote:
ewkada @ Jan 12 2015, 09:40 PM wrote: African' countries do not feel safe, my cousin has signed his contract for Nigeria (again), they pay a lot, he just coudn't resist. Are you safe, Miles, there in Malawi?
What water do you use/drink? Write a (ghost or bacteria  :lol3: ) story about Malawi for us, please.
Hi ewkada,

I am pretty safe thanks for asking. The people are Malawi are very friendly. I mainly drink out of bottled water but I am told the water in the lodge I am staying is safe to consume as well (although I still boil it before use).

Nigeria sounds like fun. Hopefully your cousin enjoys his stay :) How long is it for?

And I definately need to get writing again. Haven't written anything since the April comp :surprise:
but you have your PhD, it counts at least as much as you feel free to do something else than studying

don't drink an unboiled water - this is what my cousin said to me

he looks really funny on a photo as he's got a fair hair and is very tall (for sure even taller than Chris Hemsworth) while black people in Nigeria are neither fair skinned nor tall, but generally he doesn't complain about living and working there, maybe exept the fact that he has to control all the work they do there, all the time - he specialized in roads and bridges, so it is his responsibility to ensure the constructions are proper. And he's paid every two months a plane back to Poland to stay for a week with his family. In total as long as he's paid a good money, such work is acceptable.

16 Jan 2015, 09:24 #22

Don't worry, everybody! I'll be entering this month's competition! I just have to find the time to overlook, fix, and submit my entry. Best of luck to all of you!!! :friends:

Miles_Warren
Eternal

16 Jan 2015, 09:26 #23

That is great news GS. [happy] I am always a fan of your Hulk/ Korra mash-up stories.

16 Jan 2015, 11:00 #24

Great to hear that you'll be entering Green Scar. I typed "The End" in the book I was working on yesterday so this weekend I plan to crank out the next issue of Metal.

17 Jan 2015, 06:01 #25

The Balance of Power

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eight

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Escort; Obtaining the Heart

Manhattan Isle, New York City

Central Park

In a flash they arrived, thanks in due part to Dr. Banner's teleportation technology, and set foot on the tar-covered path. Overlooking the pond, Korra's eyes widened as she stared in awe at the towering skyscrapers not too far in the distance. She then began observing her surroundings, her sapphire-hued irises taking in everything before her. It was a beautiful summer day, the light of the sun warming the surroundings as a calming breeze gently passed by.

Tourists were exploring the sights, taking pictures and doing other various activities. Families were having fun, settling down for picnics or partaking in joyful games. Some people were walking their pets, including a few large dogs that reminded Korra of her beloved Naga. Insects were humming in the trees, birds were chirping and flying through the air gracefully, and a few rogue squirrels proceeded to gather their nuts for the coming winter months.

It was so peaceful and tranquil. That is until Korra unleashed a loud 'whoo-hoo' that caught Dr. Banner and Skaar completely off-guard, not to mention having the effect of startling the surrounding people and causing them to glance in her direction. She was excited. Very excited, to be precise.

She had been wanting to explore this new world, especially after being cooped-up for way too long in that base that was, more or less, in a barren wasteland in the middle of nowhere. She turned back to Skaar and smiled, a smile that he returned. He liked to see her this way, happy and carefree, free of the turmoil and angst brought on by her being cast out from her world. Before he could react, she grabbed his arm and began pulling him along with her as they sprinted away.

"Come on, Skaar! Let's go sight-seeing!", Korra cheered, rushing off with her friend.

They didn't get too far. A firm hand belonging to a certain nuclear physicist stopped Korra and Skaar dead in their tracks as it came to rest on the female Avatar's left shoulder. She should of known that Dr. Banner, also known to her as Mr. Killjoy, wasn't going to allow her free reign to explore the city.

"Hold on a second there, Korra. You didn't honestly think I'd let you and Skaar wander around Manhattan without someone else keeping you under close observation, did you?", Dr. Banner said, a slight smirk appearing on his face.

"Pfft! Figured there would be a catch.", Korra grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest as she took on an annoyed expression.

"You don't know this world, let alone this city. And while I know you and Skaar are more than capable of taking care of yourselves, I'd prefer if our visit would remain a secret. The last thing I want is either of you two tearing up the city or slugging it out with its heroes.", Dr. Banner countered, making it quite clear to her as to why he did not want her running around the city unsupervised.

"Why not? I bet me and Skaar could take them!", Korra jests, draping her arm around her best friend's shoulders and giving him a playful squeeze.

"Heh.", Skaar chuckled, a devious smirk forming on his features.

"You won't have to. She should be here any minute.", Banner replied, looking down at his handheld device.

"Yeah, I'm not too keen on having a bodyguard, let alone a babysitter. What about you, Skaar?", Korra remarked before asking her comrade in arms.

"Not really. I fought monsters and barbarians alone on Sakaar since my birth. I can take care of myself.", Skaar answers in response to the Avatar's inquiry.

"See? We can handle this. Go see this Reed Richards or whatever his name is. We'll be fine on our own.", Korra said, trying her best to convince Skaar's father to let them go off by themselves... and failing miserably.

"You won't be on your own for long, because she'll be arriving in a few seconds.", Banner assured them, not even bothering to glance over his shoulder at Korra and Skaar.

"She? Who are you talking about?", Korra questions, arching an eyebrow as she placed her hands on her hips.

Suddenly...

THOOOM!

Something, or rather someone, smashed feet first into the earth less than a couple hundred yards away from where Skaar, Korra, and Dr. Banner stood. Once the dust had settled, they could make out of tall, feminine figure. It was then that Bruce Banner approached without any semblance of caution or fear, seemingly knowing that it was the person he'd been expecting. The person, whoever she was, advanced until she met Banner halfway. It was then that Korra could better make out the woman's unique, yet familiar appearance.

It was quite clear that, given her green skin and size, that she was definitely a She-Hulk. She was smaller than Jen or Betty, but she still possessed a very solid, lithe build akin to the other She-Hulks. Her attire, a one-piece suit made of unstable molecules that was not unlike those worn by the other She-Hulks and the superhero team known as the Fantastic Four, consisted mostly of crimson and golden hues. Her hair was of a natural crimson-red in color, its length exceeding down past her shoulders; her eyes were of a gentle emerald, reminding Korra of Asami Sato in some aspects.

She was known to many as Lyra Banner, the Savage She-Hulk, the daughter of Thundra and the Hulk. Since arriving to this world from another reality, she has fought to protect this world alongside her fellow heroes, including the other Hulks. She was trained, and often partnered, with Jen and Betty before she was enrolled into the Avengers Academy. It was there that she made friends with teenage heroes close to her own age, including Laura Kinney, the female clone of the mutant Wolverine who went by the codename of X-23.

"Sorry I was late. Laura was a bit ticked off and needed someone to talk to for a bit. She wasn't too thrilled to hear that my little brother was hanging out with another girl.", Lyra spoke in a nonchalant tone of voice.

"It's good to see you again, Lyra.", Dr. Banner replied with an honest smile.

"Father.", Lyra said in a low voice.

"Who is she?", Korra questions, leaning in close to speak with Skaar, her voice just short of a whisper.

"She's my sister.", Skaar answers casually.

"Whoa! Hold on a second! You have a sister... and you never told me?", Korra exclaimed, her outburst not going unnoticed by either Banner or Lyra.

"Well, she's actually my half-sister. Same father, different mothers. And I didn't tell you because you never asked.", Skaar clarified calmly.

"Oh, I see how it is.", Korra said, pretending to be offended.

"What?", Skaar asks, arching an eyebrow as he stared at his friend.

"Oh, nothing. I'm just wondering what other secrets you're keeping from me.", Korra answers, immediately getting a verbal reply from the teenage Oldstrong.

"And I guess you don't have any secrets?", Skaar retorts.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. That's for me to know, and you to find out.", Korra responded almost teasingly, giving Skaar a rough, friendly push.

"Is that a challenge?", Skaar inquired with a dangerous smirk.

"Maybe.", Korra answered with a playful smirk of her own.

"Ahem! Korra, I would like to introduce you to my daughter: Lyra.", Dr. Banner said, introducing the red-haired heroine to the multiple-element manipulating teenager.

"Hi. It's an honor meeting you.", Korra greets with a wave.

"Likewise, Korra. I heard a lot about you from Jen, Betty, and Marlo. I told a few of my friends about you, and they wouldn't mind meeting you. Oh, and just so you know, you might want to be on the outlook for a girl named Laura Kinney. She's about 5'6", has long dark hair, green eyes, and she kinda has a dark & brooding personality.", Lyra greeted in return while informing the female Avatar of a certain mutant individual who was most likely going to hunt her down and confront her directly at some point or another.

"Okay... why?", Korra asks, appearing a bit hesitant and confused.

"She's very fond of my brother, and a bit overprotective of him. When I told her about you... well, let's just say she wasn't too excited about it. In fact, haven't seen her this ticked off since Cassie Lang and Skaar went out on a date.", Lyra answers, chuckling at remembering how Laura fumed over the way Cassie flirted with Skaar.

That was a major understatement. If she was really honest, Laura was raging enough to make even the Hulk proud. It all started when Skaar began visiting and staying at the Avengers Academy. He would spend days, even a few weeks there with Lyra and her friends/classmates, as if he were on some kind of vacation when he wasn't at Gamma World or out exploring the planet with their father. During that time, he formed a very close bond with Laura Kinney.

Surprisingly enough, the son of Hulk and the biological daughter of Wolverine had a lot in common. They both had fathers with anger issues, their early lives were very tragic and horrific, they were seen only as monsters to most of the world, and they both went through plenty of obstacles and trials in order to find themselves and take control of their own destiny. It was only a matter of time before Skaar and Laura became close friends, though Lyra could sense that there was the potential for something more, that there was a spark between them.

However, when questioned, neither Skaar nor Laura admitted anything to Lyra, but then again... their reactions more than answered her inquiries. They cared about one another greatly, that much she was certain of. This was only further proven to Lyra when she mentioned Korra to her fellow classmates, including a very enraged Laura who marched off to brood alone. She could only begin to imagine what would happen once Laura and Korra met face-to-face. It most likely wouldn't be pretty, she was sure of that fact.

"Do you know who your sister is talking about, 'cause I'm not sure I do.", Korra said, looking to her friend for a further explanation.

"Laura is one of our friends. She and I are... kindred spirits. We've experienced similar pasts.", Skaar stated after releasing a light sigh.

"You mean she was born on a fiery, monster-filled planet?", Korra asks, arching a disbelieving/challenging eyebrow.

"No, but she was created to be a weapon, trained to be a killer, and considered a monster by most of the puny humans. But she isn't. She's just different.", Skaar informed, trying to make Korra understand as best as he could.

"So... she's kind of like you. That doesn't sound so bad.", Korra said with a light chuckle.

"He failed to mention that she's got a wicked temper, and that she has a pair of retractable metal claws in each of her arms.", Lyra chuckled, looking on as Korra turned to glare at the Savage She-Hulk's half-brother.

"Really, Skaar? You couldn't tell me that?", Korra deadpanned.

"You didn't ask.", Skaar responds in his usual monotone voice.

"All right. Then who's Cassie?", Korra inquired, a devious smirk gracing her features.

"She's... also a friend.", Skaar answered, averting his gaze from Korra.

"Uh-huh. I'll bet.", Korra smirked teasingly, knowing that she was going to have some fun inquiring about Skaar's supposed date with this Cassie Lang.

"Ahem! Now that you're all acquainted, I'll be on my way. Make sure you keep them out of trouble, Lyra.", Dr. Banner interjected, getting ready to use his Banner-tech device to teleport himself to his intended destination.

"I'll try my best, but I'm not making any promises.", Lyra replied.

"Fair enough.", Dr. Banner said with a smirk.

"Oh, and Korra...", Dr. Banner spoke, waiting for a verbal response from the female Avatar.

"Yeah?", Korra responded, her attention now focused on the nuclear physicist.

"Don't cause any trouble. You know how I get when I'm... perturbed.", Dr. Banner stated in a stern tone of voice, not that it had much effect whatsoever on Korra.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever.", Korra grumbled, crossing her arms over her chest.

Then, with a touch of a button and in a flash of light, Dr. Bruce Banner disappears from the area, teleporting to the Baxter Building where he was scheduled to meet Dr. Reed Richards. Now that her biological father was gone, Lyra turned her attention back to her half-brother and his new feminine, multi-elemental friend. And she knew just what they all needed!

"Okay, guys! Now that I'm in charge, it's time for a little sight-seeing and fun! Who's with me?!", Lyra shouts out in cheering declaration.

"Count me in!", Korra exclaimed in full agreement.

"Let's bathe the city in blood.", Skaar added, his somewhat cheerfully sinister remark causing both Korra and Lyra to stare at him.

"Uh... nice one?", Korra manages to reply, an awkward smile gracing her features.

"I think you meant 'let's go paint the town red', little brother.", Lyra informed with an amused chuckle.

"Whatever.", Skaar scoffed, shrugging his shoulders.

And with that, the three young adults set out on their adventure through the city of Manhattan. Unknown to them, they were all currently under the surveillance of several beings. One was a representative of an entire meta-human race; another was a member of a secret organization that protects the world from the dangers that would threaten the planet; and then there was the heroes who sought to protect the city. They were all aware of their presence, and they'd continue to monitor their activities closely until it was time to take action into their own hands.

On Another World, Within Another Universe

The Nexus of the Spiritual and Physical World

SHAAKOOOOOOOOM!

A powerful burst of Old Power energy slams into the last Elemental Guardian, ripping through the earth, water, fire, air, and energy that made up its towering form. It collapsed to the temple flooring, motionless and devoid of life much like its fellow Guardians. But Hiro-Kala knew better, he understood that it would only be a matter of time before the Elemental Guardians reformed themselves to challenge him again. He had to act swiftly if he was to retrieve the Heart.

Marching towards the stone column on which the Heart resided upon, Hiro-Kala let a sinister, triumphant smile form on his face. However, just as he came to a stop at the stone column, a mystical force-field manifests itself and encircles the Heart. It was the last line of defense, the only thing protecting the Heart from Hiro-Kala and keeping it out of his grasp.

Unleashing a primal scream, Hiro-Kala summons the Old Power to his fingers, the energies creating ten, talon-like energy claws. Lunging forward, the Old Power energy talons pierce through the mystical force-field, and with a mighty heave, Hiro-Kala rips it asunder with a ferocity that mirrored that of his father's own. For a few seconds, he merely stares at the radiant, glowing oval-shaped object that rested atop the stone column. It truly was a magnificent sight to behold. Reaching forward, he gripped the Heart of this world within his hands and lifted it from its resting place atop the stone column.

Bringing the mystical/spiritual artifact closer to his heart, Hiro-Kala absorbs the radiant object into his very being, creating a blinding burst of powerful energies that merged with his Old Power. Water, Earth, Fire, Air, and Energy converged all around Hiro-Kala, lashing out at the surroundings with the might of the most powerful of hurricanes and tornadoes this world has ever seen. Now, he not only possessed the Old Power, but the raw elemental powers of the Avatar and the immense mystical/spiritual power of the World-Heart. He was now one of the most powerful beings to have ever walked the face of this world.

"The Heart is mine.", Hiro-Kala proclaims in a whisper.

Despite succeeding in obtaining new-found power to heighten his already immense might, he knew that there were still other tasks that needed completion. A dark, endless army had to be awakened, to be wielded like a sword to slaughter the people of this world. The Celestial Darkness, Aku-Tonrar, must be freed of its imprisonment and unleashed upon all that stood against him. Only then would he be able to triumph over his enemies, only then would he take this world and create a new Sakaar. And once that was done, his supreme reign over this universe would begin.

Utilizing his incredible mastery of the mind and body, Hiro-Kala summons a portal from the very spiritual/mystical energies of the planet, an ability derived from the World-Heart that he had consumed and merged within himself. Stepping forward, Hiro-Kala walks through the portal, disappearing from sight. And just as suddenly as he disappeared, so too did the portal blink out of existence. Conquest was at hand. Nothing would dare stand in his way.

Sakaarson.

Hear my cry.

My eyes are burning.

My heart is ice.

My night is full of death.