Hall of Fame

You feel you can logically defend the idea of Eyescream defeating Superman then this is the place to do it.

Moderators: Foxy Shazam, jaxthejester, Tavern Master Brewer, Foxy Shazam, jaxthejester, Tavern Master Brewer

Hall of Fame

13 Mar 2017, 16:32 #1

Welcome to the Official Mickey's Tavern Comic Book Character Hall of Fame. A new class of 7 characters will be inducted quarterly (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) each year. Voting is open to ALL members of the Tavern, so if you'd like to participate, feel free to throw your ballot out there at any time! The voting criteria is as follows:

2 Marvel
2 DC
1 Indie
1 Creator (writer, artist, etc.)
1 Team

THE HALL

MARVEL
Captain America (Summer 2017)
Doctor Doom (Spring 2017)
Doctor Strange (Winter 2018)
The Incredible Hulk (Fall 2017)
Magneto (Summer 2017)
The Punisher (Winter 2018)
Spider-Man (Spring 2017)
Wolverine (Fall 2017)

DC
Aquaman (Winter 2018)
Batman (Spring 2017)
The Flash (Summer 2017)
Green Lantern (Fall 2017)
The Joker (Fall 2017)
Superman (Spring 2017)
Swamp Thing (Winter 2018)
Wonder Woman (Summer 2017)

INDIE
Judge Dredd (Summer 2017)
Hellboy (Fall 2017)
Spawn (Spring 2017)
Witchblade (Winter 2018)

CREATORS
Geoff Johns (Fall 2017)
Jack Kirby (Spring 2017)
Stan Lee (Spring 2017)
Todd McFarlane (Winter 2018)
Frank Miller (Summer 2017)

TEAMS
The Defenders (Winter 2018)
The Uncanny X-Men (Fall 2017)
Last edited by salmandini67 on 13 Mar 2017, 16:32, edited 5 times in total.

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

13 Mar 2017, 16:40 #2

I see you liked my idea/format for the inductees. I like it myself because it gives credit to those who aren't as well known.

I would keep it more simple though. 2 Marvel, 2 DC, 1 indie, 1 creator/writer/artist.
Exclude the villain thing because that status could always change. Villains are likely to get in anyway using just the above format.

13 Mar 2017, 16:46 #3

Yeah, the specific criteria is up for debate. One thing I will say is, without the mandatory villain spot, I could totally see it taking 3 or 4 rounds before the first one gets in. And they're such a critical part of what makes comics great.

Doc Omega
Living Tribunal
Doc Omega
Living Tribunal

13 Mar 2017, 17:00 #4

Dr. Doom is hall of fame material

Wait, he's a villain?

13 Mar 2017, 20:55 #5

I don't understand what this means and how we choose the inducted characters and writer/artist. What does this OP entail, Sal?

Do each of us choose our 3 favorite heroes, favorite villain, favorite indie character/comic then a writer/artist? My list would be too long. Anyways I'm not entirely sure how this works.
Gal Gadot, Elodie Yung, Felicity Jones, Daisy Ridley, Zoe Saldana, Brie Larsen, Evangeline Lilly, Kate Beckinsale, Jennifer Connely, Rebeca Ferguson, Jessica Chastain, Margot Robbie, Emily Blunt, Emilia Clarke, Scarlet Johanssen, Diane Kruger, Lena Headey, Michelle Monaghan.

Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider tribute page: The Life of Ben Reilly http://www.benreillytribute.x10host.com ... illy1.html

Doc Omega
Living Tribunal
Doc Omega
Living Tribunal

13 Mar 2017, 21:14 #6

I'm just going to blurt out names

Giraffe of Hearts
Cosmic Being

14 Mar 2017, 00:21 #7

Mr. Awesome @ Mar 13 2017, 11:40 AM wrote:I see you liked my idea/format for the inductees. I like it myself because it gives credit to those who aren't as well known.

I would keep it more simple though. 2 Marvel, 2 DC, 1 indie, 1 creator/writer/artist.
Exclude the villain thing because that status could always change. Villains are likely to get in anyway using just the above format.
This speaks to me, too. 2 Marvel, 2 DC, 1 Indie, 1 Creator. No stipulations on hero/villain "alignment", because that can be so subjective & ever-changing in comics. Ideally we're talking about individual characters, but something K'unlun said made me stop and wonder: What about choosing an occasional book/title instead? Maybe these ideas aren't compatible...but I was picturing somebody who digs TMNT or Walking Dead (for instance), where there's a strong theme with maybe no single standout character?

I'm similarly scratching my head over the fundamentals, here. Is each of us essentially nominating candidates that would then have to pass some kind of final vote? Or are all of our choices automatically inducted into the HoF, and we keep track of 4 fast-growing lists using this thread? Also, if we do this 4 times a year...are we making "seasonal" choices of characters who were recently great, or "all-time" choices of those who deserve the honor no matter what the time or place?
"We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good,
something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

"The eyes...are the groin...of the face." ~ Dwight K. Schrute III

:thanosinfinity:

[WW] Gender Equality: Help empower women/girls

14 Mar 2017, 00:41 #8

^^^What giraffe just said....yeah. Those are good questions.
Gal Gadot, Elodie Yung, Felicity Jones, Daisy Ridley, Zoe Saldana, Brie Larsen, Evangeline Lilly, Kate Beckinsale, Jennifer Connely, Rebeca Ferguson, Jessica Chastain, Margot Robbie, Emily Blunt, Emilia Clarke, Scarlet Johanssen, Diane Kruger, Lena Headey, Michelle Monaghan.

Ben Reilly/Scarlet Spider tribute page: The Life of Ben Reilly http://www.benreillytribute.x10host.com ... illy1.html

14 Mar 2017, 00:53 #9

Yeah, I say we vote a certain number in each time with no attention paid to the season. Just the most deserving each time.

I like the ongoing title/mini series idea. Maybe that could be merged with the creator slot?

Giraffe of Hearts
Cosmic Being

14 Mar 2017, 00:59 #10

'Kay, so there is voting involved? The big two publishers end up with 2 winners each time, indies get 1 winner, & creators/titles get 1 winner, totaling 6 quarterly inductees...?
"We are visitors on this planet. We are here for ninety or one-hundred years at the very most. During that period, we must try to do something good,
something useful, with our lives. If you contribute to other people's happiness, you will find the true goal, the true meaning of life." ~ H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

14 Mar 2017, 01:08 #11

My votes for the first go are as follows (and yes, I love the idea):

Superman - For being most popular DC character.
Spider-Man - For being most popular Marvel character.
Batman - For being DC's 1st major iconic character.
Namor - For being Marvel's first super hero (alongside of Torch, but Namor is even more iconic IMHO- Original Torch has ups and downs).

Indie: Spawn - The most iconic non-Marvel/DC IMO.

Writer: Stan Lee - The father of comics.

[patriot!]
When all other factors and possibilities have been eliminated from the equation; Whatever remains, regardless of how improbable it may be, is inevitably the truth.

14 Mar 2017, 01:43 #12

Giraffe of Hearts @ Mar 13 2017, 06:59 PM wrote: 'Kay, so there is voting involved?  The big two publishers end up with 2 winners each time, indies get 1 winner, & creators/titles get 1 winner, totaling 6 quarterly inductees...?
Yep, seems like everyone is cool with this format so far. I'll go ahead and toss my ballot out there.

DC - Superman, Batman

Marvel - Spider-Man, Doctor Doom

Indie - Spawn

Creator - Stan Lee

jaxthejester
Cosmic Being
jaxthejester
Cosmic Being

14 Mar 2017, 04:05 #13

@Sal - I'm going to go ahead and PIN this one. Do you mind if I edit Page 1 with an updated breakdown of the final rules/format that this has evolved into? It may help the casual glance readers to jump in and get to Voting.

As I understand it, we are saying 6 voted entries per Quarter (one every 3 months), and of the 6 entries there must be 2 Marvel, 2 DCU, 1 Indie (non-Marvel/DC), and 1 real person (artist, writer, creator, etc.).

Is that all accurate?
When all other factors and possibilities have been eliminated from the equation; Whatever remains, regardless of how improbable it may be, is inevitably the truth.

Thinkerer
Kree

14 Mar 2017, 08:28 #14

So are we going for more personal choices, or are we establishing a sort of more objective canon? I think the latter will be somewhat predictable, but im fine with either.

DC - Green Lantern (Hal), Batman
Marvel - Thanos, Dr. Doom
Indie - Spawn
Creator etc: Jim Starlin

14 Mar 2017, 10:08 #15

@ Jax - Yep, sounds good, man.

@ Think - Your ballot is yours. Divvy out your votes as you see fit!

An Ri Leon
Kree

17 Mar 2017, 04:18 #16

DC- Superman, Batman

Marvel- Spiderman, Captain America

Indie- Hellboy

Writer- Jack Kirby
The poster formerly known as Bwana Simba

17 Mar 2017, 04:37 #17

BWANAS1MBA @ Mar 16 2017, 08:18 PM wrote: Writer- Jack Kirby
[Mickey's Indeed]

Jack Kirby is the king.
Check out the Outstanding Fan Fic section. We re-envision some of your favorite Marvel characters, and maybe some that you have never heard about:Outstanding Fan Fiction

Now introducing Ask Hulkster Anyting! The place where you can ask all of your burning questions and I guarantee an answer.

Giraffe of Hearts
Cosmic Being

17 Mar 2017, 06:33 #18

Cool, this is happening.

MARVEL: Spider-Man, Doctor Doom
DC: Batman, Green Arrow
INDIE: Badger
CREATOR: Steve Ditko

Man, the more I go over all of the options in my head...I'm wondering if we should also be doing 2 indies & 2 creators/titles...

Doc Omega
Living Tribunal
Doc Omega
Living Tribunal

17 Mar 2017, 11:12 #19

MARVEL: Captain America, Doctor Doom
DC: Batman, Deathstroke
INDIE: Badger
CREATOR: Ed Brubacher

17 Mar 2017, 12:11 #20

I'll leave voting open until Sunday, April 2. On Monday, April 3, we will induct our inaugural class, the Spring 2016 Induction Class, into the Mickey's Tavern Superhero Hall of Fame. Current voting is as follows:

DC -
Superman -- 4
Batman -- 7
Deathstroke -- 1
Green Lantern -- 1
Green Arrow -- 1

Marvel -
Spider-Man -- 5
Captain America -- 2
Doctor Doom -- 4
Namor -- 1
Thanos -- 1
Magneto -- 1

Indie -
Spawn -- 4
Badger -- 2
Hellboy -- 1

Creator -
Stan Lee -- 3
Jack Kirby -- 1
Jim Starlin -- 1
Steve Ditko -- 1
Ed Brubaker -- 1

Voting is open to ALL members of the Tavern! Feel free to jump in there and make your case for why your favorite characters are deserving of a spot!

Voters accounted for so far:

Sal
Jax
Thinkerer
Bwana
Giraffe
Doc
Awesome

Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal
Mr. Awesome
Living Tribunal

17 Mar 2017, 12:16 #21

Here's my official list:

DC - Superman
DC - Batman
Marvel - Spider-Man
Marvel - Magneto
Indie - Spawn
Creator - Stan Lee

18 Mar 2017, 01:48 #22

Here is my first rough draft list:

Marvel- Spider-man & Captain America
DC- Batman & Green Lantern

Indie- The Sandman(Vertigo). Not necessarily the lead protagonist Dream himself, but for the whole notion of this classic vertigo run by neil gaiman. The critically acclaimed, literary fantasy myth comic run and fan praised series by Neil Gaiman HAS to get a spot in the indie category. Sandman is always, consistently, on top ten lists for comics series to read. The Sandman is my indie choice.

Creator- Jack Kirby.

An Ri Leon
Kree

18 Mar 2017, 02:12 #23

thehulkster94 @ Mar 16 2017, 10:37 PM wrote:
BWANAS1MBA @ Mar 16 2017, 08:18 PM wrote: Writer- Jack Kirby
[Mickey's Indeed]

Jack Kirby is the king.
Damn straight.
The poster formerly known as Bwana Simba

18 Mar 2017, 02:26 #24

DC:
Batman
Superman

Marvel:
Spider-Man
Dr. Doom

Indie:
Spawn

Creator:
Jack Kirby
Check out the Outstanding Fan Fic section. We re-envision some of your favorite Marvel characters, and maybe some that you have never heard about:Outstanding Fan Fiction

Now introducing Ask Hulkster Anyting! The place where you can ask all of your burning questions and I guarantee an answer.

Redsledge
Kree

18 Mar 2017, 03:32 #25

DC: Superman and Batman

Marvel: Thor and Spider-Man

Indie: Spawn

Creator: Jack Kirby.
I love Kirby, especially his work with DC new gods. Love the kindred spirit the New Gods had to Asgardians. I like Stan, but he's not at the top of my "creators" list. Hes still up there though.
One of the worlds greatest pleasures is secret knowledge. Things you learn that your peers don't know, or imagine you know. Its the lifetime batting average of every member of the Yankees, stats of Desert Storm, or the names and home-worlds of legions of Superheroes. Commit this knowledge to memory, and you can speak the private language of those who have approached this with equal dedication.

The will of the warrior is the resolute acceptance of death - Musashi

PS4: Redsledge
Xbox1: RedsledgeBLU