Big Thunder tries his hand at drawing!

A place for you to post your art, sketches, poems, haiku's even...etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Tavern Master Brewer, Moderators, Tavern Master Brewer

Big Thunder tries his hand at drawing!

06 Nov 2013, 11:49 #1

Okay, as a hobby, I've written some stories. I have drawn in the past, but mostly as a kid. I was never good at it.

So, lately I've started getting these ideas for characters and decided to try to put on the computer screen. When I tried it, I was surprised at the results. In the following posts, I'll talk about my feeble attempts with Microsoft Paint.

06 Nov 2013, 12:27 #2

This first drawing I tried is shown above in a couple test phases.

What I did was, go to the Web and find a picture of a Star Wars Scout Trooper. The idea was, according to my story, an Imperial soldier was going to become a combined Star Wars/Marvel universe's version of Marvel's "The Punisher". I thought the concept would work well.

I found a picture of a Scout Trooper on Google with a pose that I liked. I downloaded it and opened it in Paint. I then simply traced over it. I used a tool where you can draw several connected lines that automatically filled with a color when you close the lines. Since, the drawing was a guy standing in armor with few "organic" curves, I thought it would be the easier than drawing someone standing around in street clothes. As a fill color, I chose a dark gray, instead of white. The character was to be in black, matching Marvel's Punisher's black uniform. I couldn't use black due to the fact of the black defining borders (which I kept thick for better definition). I filled in the armors joints (flexible areas like the neck) with black.

When I was finished, I had the drawing shown above in the center. I didn't want to have my version of the Punisher walking around with a helmet, so *cringe* I knew I had to make a face. Very quickly, I through a face together, using the fill box tool after choosing a color that looked like typical caucasian skin. I wanted him to look rugged so I drew in some lines to define his cheeks and some thinner lines to give him a wrinkled brow as if he's frowning. Face? Yep, I made it simple. A few lines for eyes nose and mouth. I changed the angles to give him a meaner look.

Now, I had made the head and face completely separate from the existing drawing. I then used a "cut box" tool and removed the original drawing's head/helmet and then positioned the new face into place using the cut box. It might have been a little off as far as the size, so I resized and repositioned it until I was satisfied. (That would be the first drawing on the left with the helmet included.)

I then went around the borders of the drawing erasing all edges and the background of the original drawing.

Also, as I went along from step by step, I kept older copies, in case I messed up. I also didn't "throw away" the helmet in case I had an idea to use it.

In copying the drawing, I forgot that I had chosen the armor's color as the background color. What I ended up with was none other than the original white armor. Instead of deleting it, I kept it. (That would be the second drawing from the left).

The next thing I needed to do was incorporate the Punisher's signature Skull symbol on the "faced" drawing's chest. That was probably the easiest thing to do once I had a picture of the original skull ( a web picture from the live action's Tom Jane version of the Punisher). The hardest thing about that was the positioning of the nose holes. The skull is drawn onto the scout trooper's chest armor, so its split in two, which I worked around. The skull's teeth were easily adopted by filling the scout trooper's waist banding with white. (Drawing on right...I also decided to see what it looked like with a helmet again.)

So, after drawing this, I took a step back and thought, it's not perfect, but its probably the best thing I've drawn outside of CAD. I decided it to post the finished drawing it in my Marvel Star Wars fan-fic thread.

06 Nov 2013, 13:01 #3

The next drawing I made was of another "hybrid" character - a mix of Marvel's Green Goblin and SW's Boba Fett.

I decided to use a photo of Jengo Fett instead, mostly because of his "crouching" pose". I wanted the drawing to have him crouching since I was going to have him riding a glider like the Green Goblin instead of having a backpack.

I followed all of the steps I used with the Punisher (previously described) but had a major problem - the Jengo Fett drawing actually had Jengo resting on one knee (the right leg in the foreground). What I had to do was, using the photo and the drawing I had made, extropolate where the pieces of armor were going to be and what shape they would have. I ended up looking at a few more photos before making it look right. I also chose to use a slightly brighter green used on Boba Fett, thus to emphasize the "Green Goblin" aspect of the character. I also added some "rib armor" underneath the character's arm. Also, for the entire drawing, I decided to use a thinner border to give the drawing more definition.

Then came the hard part - the glider. I debated whether or not I should design a glider in CAD, position it as if it would be situated perfectly under the drawing's feet then copy/paste the glider into CAD and then copy/paste the figure over the glider. That turned out to be too hard and time consuming. I went the "easy" route and decided to draw a glider from scratch underneath the picture.

What I ended up doing was copying the drawing's feet and pasting them away from the rest of the figure. I then sketched line drawings of the glider's panels where the feet were situated. I had to be careful to:

1. Have it so the feet were oriented so that, if the figure were to be standing, his eyes would be facing forward and not tilted to one side or the other. The goal was in the completed drawing to have the figure twisted so that he was firing his guns off to the right of the glider in flight.
2. Incorporate perspective. If not done correctly, the glider could look twisted, misshapen, disoriented, sloped, angled in the wrong direction, etc.

With those base panels made, I concentrated on making the glider's power source. I chose a turbine engine, much like the ones used in the Pod Race from SW Ep1. The first goal was to line it up so that it didn't look crooked underneath the base panels. That was a simple matter of creating lines parallel to the ones in the panels. I then drew a circle at the front end, drew in another circle for the nose of the turbine's engine, drew in some lines for the turbine blades, colored them and then added some reflected shadow lines to make the blades and nose look "chromed". (Its funny, I figured out what to do as I was drawing.)

I then added more wing panels for the glider, making sure to give it a menacing "razor-toothed" look. I knew I needed to add guns, making the glider more SW-esque, but decided to add them later, which I did.

I then decided on a color scheme (red and gray) then filled in the panels, coloring over the details behind. The guns I created pretty quickly. The two are actually the same gun with a nasty bayonet/sword. I created one, colored it in, copied it and put its copy into position on the glider. It was actually over the glider. I had to redraw the glider in, hiding some of its details. I then pasted another copy of the gun combo and scaled it down. I had to undo and re-scale it until it looked the right size so that when put on the drawing it matched the perspective.

Again, I was surprised at the finished product. Its not really original apart from the glider, so it was a matter of of how well I traced the original drawing.

I made to versions of this finished drawing. One with a quickly done drawing of a city and one with a black background, which not surprisingly looked better.

Miles_Warren
Eternal

06 Nov 2013, 19:13 #4

You're really good at this Thunder. I wished I had your talent :thbsup:

Unfortunately I am pretty useless at drawing...

06 Nov 2013, 21:56 #5

Miles, so am I. I've messed around with Paint before and made some pretty cheap cartoony stuff, but on a whim I tried the above drawings.

You have to remember, though, that these are traced over photos/pictures from the web. I didn't make these from scratch.

06 Nov 2013, 22:11 #6

This is "Darth Doom". Pretty simple to trace over, except for the face. I added the display on his chest, the items on his belt as well as the red light saber. I also modified his cape by "underlining" it with a the shoulder/upper chest piece from the one I traced off of a Darth Vader photo.

kacangpool
Living Tribunal
kacangpool
Living Tribunal

07 Nov 2013, 09:54 #7

wow big, t. :blink:

these are hugely impressive. :omgomg:

we'd love to have you join us on comic project, if you are interested.

07 Nov 2013, 11:04 #8

kacangpool @ Nov 7 2013, 03:54 AM wrote: wow big, t. :blink:

these are hugely impressive. :omgomg:

we'd love to have you join us on comic project, if you are interested.
I'm flattered, kcp, but you have to remember. These drawings aren't original. I've traced over original images. The "Punisher" was traced over an image of a scout trooper. The "Green Goblin/Boba Fett" was traced over an image of a poseable Jengo Fett figure from an image on the web. The "Darth Doom" was traced over a similar poseable Dr. Doom figure.

As big-headed as this sounds, I am impressed with the results as anybody else. I'm not an artist. I think the results come from the fact that I'm tracing over original images.

I wish I could draw the same characters in poses - the Punisher holding a blaster rifle, the Green Goblin grabbing a Twi'lek by the throat, Darth Doom posing with a light saber. The fact is, I'd need images to trace over.

Boy! Otherwise, yeah, I'd love to help. In the meantime, I challenge anyone to try my techniques out. Find a photo online or one of yourself and use Paint to trace over it. Really, I've pretty much been limiting myself to "guys in armor". Its easier than tracing over "organic" shapes like muscles and things. (However, I did manage to create a character, also from a web image, but is "organic". You'll see her in an upcoming post.)

I am somewhat proficient at CAD, though. In another upcoming post, I'll present my "Blackbird/Millenium Falcon" hybrid concept. That is 100% orginal and "poseable".

07 Nov 2013, 13:07 #9

Okay, here is that "organic" drawing I was talking about. I think this is possibly my best picture. You might say that the "Green Fett" or "Darth Doom" drawings were cooler. I'd agree.

This character is "Gowan Skali'i", a Mon Calamari. I've drawn her in street clothes and a "mercenary" outfit.

To begin with, I had a dilemna - I thought finding a "Admiral Ackbar" photo or drawing on line would be easy, but a female would be harder. So I did a Google search and fortunately I found an image used as a concept for a scene inSW Ep3 (that strange ballet/opera scene where Palpatine talks to Anakin where they had those big water blobs floating and "something" swimming in them - female Mon Calamaris).

So, I found a good drawing online, but it didn't have a face on shot. Instead it had a 3/4 frontal drawing and a back image. What I was really interested most in was the face, with the big fishlike eyes and mouth. The 3/4 view had a good shot of them, but it wasn't face on.

What I decided to do was try out recreating one of the bulbous eyes and its heavy upper eyelid. I used the simple circle tool in Paint, and played around with positioning the iris and pupil. I realized, in order to make it look like the existing drawing, I had to make both of them slightly off center. The coloring for the iris was easy as well as the "white" part of the eye (which I colored red, to match the existing drawing). The lid and surrounding tissue were also surprisingly easy.

In drawing the eye, I superimposed the iris and lid over the backside image. I figured that using that image as a "silhouette" I could draw a completely new front image over it...and have to fill in the details (yikes!!) Once I had the one eye drawn, I copied and reversed it for the other side.

Then I needed to draw the mouth. Looking at the 3/4 view, I realized that it was a pretty simple task - a couple of curves for the lips and a few lines for the "smile" at the mouth's edges. The mouth was pretty simple it turned out.

I then made a decision to define Gowan's chin. Looking at images of Mon Calamari on Google, I realized that they had goiters with little neck/chin definition. I thought that would make her look "unfeminine" so I extrapolated a series of black lines defining a chin.

I then used the same "fillbox" tool I mentioned in the previous drawings to draw over the rest of the existing drawing's backside. I chose a brownish salmon color to approximate a Mon Calamari's skin. One major problem I had was that the existing drawing had the female Mon Calamari barefoot! Mon Calamari's are fishlike creatures and their feet are webbed and clawed! And not only that, they were shown in a "swimming position", ie, in line with the calves of her legs. If my drawing was going to show Gowan standing, I had to redraw those webbed feet at a different angle. I decided to put her feet in shoes. Kind of a cop out, but I was pretty satisfied by the drawing so far and didn't want to ruin it.

Then came the clothes. I wanted to portray her in two different outfits - a "college girl" and a "mercenary". I started with the student clothes option first and it was surprisingly easy up to the point that I got to her legs. The Mon Calamari females, according to the existing drawing, have fins on the sides of their legs. I could have drawn her in a skirt which would have made the concept easy, but I decided to put her in slacks. "How would she put those on with those fins?" I decided to not worry about it and left "holes" in the slacks for the fins. Then it was a matter of coloration. I wanted to give her outfit a casual friendly look so gave her a white top, blue slacks and red shoes - whiting out parts of the shoes to give them a "shine".

Satisfied, I copied the drawing and basically recolored it, giving her a darker appearance. I didn't want her to just have different colored clothes. I wanted a completely new outfit. I made it sleeveless, giving her a tougher look. I then fixed the front of her shirt, making it look leathery by coloring it dark gray adding some wrap-over flaps and drawing some white rectangles that looked like some sort of clasp or fastener.

Stepping back and looking at the two drawings, I decided to give Gowan more detail by adding brown highlights slightly darker than her skin color. I remember seeing blotches on Admiral Ackbar's skin, so I added them. On her forehead, I made them in a symmetrical pattern. I also added a blaster, complete with gunbelt to her mercenary drawing then added some shading to give the drawings some depth. Shading was accomplished by taking the colors, finding darker shades and putting the shaded areas in places opposite from where a light source might be.

Finished? I decided to add two more simple features. The first came from a thought I had? Did female Mon Calamari bothered wearing makeup?? Maybe they looked at female humans and their makeup and said "Hey, we should try that!" I then filled in Gowan's eyelids with a simple blue and green on either of the representations. I also gave her mercenary drawing a bandana. I decided to make it a short one but contemplated making it long, almost line a long ponytail.

I create these drawings first as bmps. It prevents blurring or blending when saving them, which is a big problem when trying to draw lines. When completely finished I save the drawing and then save the drawing as a jpg. Saving the drawing as a bmp allows for future changes, but leaves the drawing rather large. Saving it as a jpg, blurs edges and makes the file size much more manageable. In Gowan's case, saving the file as a jpg blended the "splotching" on her skin, giving her skin better texture.

Overall, I'd say this is my best drawing to date. It basically is the most original anyways.

07 Nov 2013, 13:41 #10

Okay, here's that "Blackbird/Millenium Falcon" hybrid I was talking about. I call it the "Black Falcon. Its a spice freighter piloted by a character I've named "Wohl Varin".

Unlike the previous drawings, this one was made entirely from scratch. Yep, its 100% original, other than the fact that I based it off of a blend of four other space/aircraft - the X-Men's Blackbird, the SR-71 Blackbird (which is the basis for the comicbook version), Queen Amidala's royal Nubian spaceship from SW Ep1 and, of course, the Millenium Falcon.

Mostly, this was a quickly thrown together concept. I doodle a lot with CAD and when I get into a really serious drawing, I go into depth with detail. What I wanted to do with this concept is have a space ship that is both sleek (like the Blackbird or Amadala's ship) and boxy/rugged (like the MF). I wanted it to be winged with the X-Men's craft's forward swept wings, have engines similar to the Naboo spacecraft and have a thickened fuselage, much like the MF's.

I started, basically with cross sections or "what would it look like from the top, the side and the front?" I then filled in the blanks, making the fuselage first, the engines next (forming them so they'd mate with the fuselage's blended shape) and then the wings.

I then fiddled around with the offsets on the fuselage. Originally they were going to be inset into the fuselage slightly, but due to that complexity, I opted for offsets. I then concentrated on the guns! I wanted to have a pair of four-gun turrets, like the MW's, the same classic concave framed windows. The hardest part was creating the windows. Basically I had cylinders of the same diameter pierce the top and bottom of the most likely position where the cannons would be located (rear fuselage).
I then sketched the profiles of the cuts along sideview of the top and bottom of the fuselage and used those same sketches to cut cylinders in a new drawing of the same diameter. I then changed the properties of the cylinders to "glass" and sketched a frame on their top/bottom views. I used those sketches to cut away the frame, retaining the cut away pieces of the frame in the drawing and shading them black.

I then threw together a single drawing for the the four-gunned cannons. Simple. And then I devised a mount and yoke for holding the cannons above and below the windows (that I had added to the main spaceship drawing). I wanted these cannons oriented so that if you were looking up or down through the windows, you'd see these cannons, just the way Luke and Han did in SW Ep4.

Then I added a few more simple details. One: the cut away cylindrical holes you see on the MF's surface. I guess they give access to the ship's systems and allow Han and Chewie to do maintenance on them. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of time on the details so I made one assesory to fit in each (basically some extruded rectangles and circles). As a last detail, I added some actuator like widgets to the wings. I wanted to get rid of the wings' fragile bare look. I remember similar actuators on the back end of the top of a MF model my brother had when we were kids. I thought those were good additions.

For the two drawings above, I did screenshots of the CAD screen and pasted them into Paint. Easy. For the top view, I found a cool photo that I have (from a ground based telescope, by the way, of a few close to the center of our galaxy) and using Paint's "cut window" feature, I used the CAD window's color as a background and copy pasted the Black Falcon onto the starscape. For the other view, I filled it with a dark blue reminiscent of a cloudless evening sky.

kacangpool
Living Tribunal
kacangpool
Living Tribunal

07 Nov 2013, 16:45 #11

ah i see. still these are awesome. and i love the cad illustrations. [1st]

07 Nov 2013, 17:05 #12

kacangpool @ Nov 7 2013, 10:45 AM wrote: ah i see. still these are awesome. and i love the cad illustrations. [1st]
I recommend that anyone give the "Paint trace over" technique a try! Hey, if I can do it, you can do it!

As far as the Black Falcon goes, I'd actually like to redesign/revamp it...if I have time. I think it looks too plain. I might also redesign the engine nacelles and either eliminate or reduce the size of the "intakes".

I appreciate the interest, though. I look back at this stuff and keep thinking "wow". I think it has to do more with the original artwork and the technique than my skill as an "artiste".

07 Nov 2013, 17:06 #13

And change the cockpit windows, too...

07 Nov 2013, 21:24 #14

My latest drawing. Someone had did an Iron Man helmet in CAD and posted different views of it online in picture form. I borrowed it. :)

In keeping in line with the Marvel Star Wars universe, I redesigned the helmet giving it a heavy Republic Commando influence (PC game). I did change the "mouth" some, giving a growl-ish look. I also did some subtle shading with the "brow" area of the helmet, giving it some depth.

I'm not too good with shading. For a round surface, I know there should be a gradual darkening as you go around a curve. For a complex curved surface, such as the original IM helmet, there should be a variation of shading gradients in different directions. My helmet looks very angular despite its obvious curved surface (see brows, top of helmet).

07 Nov 2013, 21:56 #15

Okay, I went back and edited the drawing. I got rid of the black defining lines on the front of the "cheek" area. I also added another shading gradient for the gold color.

kacangpool
Living Tribunal
kacangpool
Living Tribunal

08 Nov 2013, 16:39 #16

is brilliant.

08 Nov 2013, 19:19 #18

Are going to post anymore soon?

09 Nov 2013, 01:30 #19

YellowjacketPym @ Nov 8 2013, 01:19 PM wrote: Are going to post anymore soon?
Working on a full body to go with the helmet. Its turning out to be a long process. I might put it on hold and work more on the two stories.

I was thinking about making a logo for Marvel SW, though. It would be two upstretched hands holding a lightsaber...and wearing Spider-Man gloves.

kacangpool
Living Tribunal
kacangpool
Living Tribunal

09 Nov 2013, 02:18 #20

Big Thunder! @ Nov 8 2013, 10:49 AM wrote: Thanks.
have you drawn any galactus, big t? :8-@:

09 Nov 2013, 12:45 #21

kacangpool @ Nov 8 2013, 08:18 PM wrote:
Big Thunder! @ Nov 8 2013, 10:49 AM wrote: Thanks.
have you drawn any galactus, big t? :8-@:
Didn't have any plans to. Right now, I'm concentrating on characters/character ideas for my Mavel SW fan-fic. [thinking]

09 Nov 2013, 23:17 #22

Did a lot a work on the shading. Not sure if it looks right.

This character's name is not Iron Man.

Edit: for some reason, the abdomen and legs are blurred. I think this is due to something in Photobucket, because the exact same drawing on my comp looks fine. If you look at the gold plated armor on his thighs, you'll see how crisp it should look.

10 Nov 2013, 16:51 #23

I think I am going to try and re-upload my latest creation. I am going to add some more details to the character's armor and change his hands before that. I tried to match the size of the original drawing's hands and made them bigger. They still look dinky.

The picture I had uploaded was pretty big. It matched the size of that helmet I had made before. I think the sheer size caused an error in the upload.

I've found that using Paint to scale down a drawing can lower the quality of the drawing. Yet, I've also found that viewing that same drawing in a window and zooming out can preserve the quality. This is a thought: what if I open the drawing in a window and zoom out and then take print screen snapshot of that window and then open that snapshot back open in Paint. I should be able to get a smaller, scaled down version of the original drawing retaining it original quality.

We'll see how that goes.

ironhand
Eternal

11 Nov 2013, 19:48 #24

Great stuff over here, Big Thunder! Keep it up. You really nailed the shading side of things on the Iron-Man pic!

11 Nov 2013, 20:38 #25

ironhand @ Nov 11 2013, 01:48 PM wrote: Great stuff over here, Big Thunder! Keep it up. You really nailed the shading side of things on the Iron-Man pic!
Thanks, IH!

Shading is something I've been working on a little. And, actually, the character's name is really "Iron Man". He's part of my "Marvel Star Wars" universe and I haven't introduced him yet, but he is that universes version of Ole Buckethead.