Asharra- World of Adventure

Only good and fantasy stuff.

Moderators: MsMarvelDuckie, MsMarvelDuckie

Asharra- World of Adventure

MsMarvelDuckie
Inhuman

23 Mar 2012, 22:52 #1

OOG: First, there are just two rules here- if you wish to perform an action that may affect another PC, ask them OOG first! (That's out-of-game, to those who don't know. Also can be called OOC, or out-of-character.) Second, no "power-gaming" or otherwise over-powered PC's. Keep it reasonable, please. Other than that, we're her to have fun!

Okay, and on that note......

Campaign: "One World"
Adventure #1: "Maid in Thorndale"

Open: The city of Thorndale, capital and trade-hub of the border kingdom of Deepvale, bustles with excitement in anticipation of the upcoming Summer Festival. As always, the city will soon play host to vendors and merchants from far and wide, with food, games, holy ceremonies to Myrnos and Hellanya, the sun and earth deities (respectively), as well as to a few other deities who hold the summer solstice as holy. The greatest draw, of course, is the week of dancing, feasting, and the most anticipated event, the annual Griffon Races. As you enter the city from the North Gate, from the road that leads through the Great Vale in which the kingdom rests, the first thing that greets you is a plethora of carts, pack animals, and crates, barrels, and chests of trade goods being unloaded virtually everywhere you look. Every shop is bursting with activity, either cleaning, repairing, or stocking. A long wide avenue leads toward the center of the city, and along the way, one sees several side streets that branch off at angles. Large city maps are located at key points, clearly as an aid to travelers new to the area.

From the maps, one can see that the city is built in a roughly circular pattern, with a large central plaza. the main street runs the length of the city, from north to south, with two smaller streets running in a curve on either side closer to the perimeter. Several avenues also run between the three wider streets, two from the plaza, and four more cross-streets to the north and south of it. The city is only partially walled, mostly near the gates at the north and south ends, as well as from the east and west roads that lead to outlying villages near the borders of the kingdom, which sits within a deep natural rift, with the main arm of the Borian Mountains to the west, and a high cliff to the east which runs for hundreds of miles along the edge of the Arian Desert.

The most obvious landmarks are the soaring temple of Sorden in the middle of the south-western quarter of the city, the temple of Zellanos and its huge graveyard at the south-eastern edge of the city, and the huge, walled palace of the current ruler, King Roderick Highcastle V which sits along the main road near the center of the city, just south of the plaza. An imposing prison and a large, stately High Court sit on the same road- called the King's Way- to the north of the plaza. However, at the moment, the busiest place in town appears to be a large, well-kept inn on the plaza's north-west corner, with a sign proudly proclaiming it the Dancing Horse.
"Well, this is another fine myth you've gotten us into..."
-from "Myth Directions"

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

24 Mar 2012, 01:58 #2

Gorvar the half-orc barbarian entered the inn. He quietly took his place in the corner where he hoped he would be left alone until a job would come his way. He was in full leather armour with bits of mail which gave the half-orc a rugged look, added with two one handed axes which hung on his belt. He had several blue tattoos on his face and arm but it was msotly covered by his large brown cloak.
He ordered an ale and stayed out of sight until Ao decided to toss him a bone.

( Is It alright if my guy worships Ao?)

MsMarvelDuckie
Inhuman

27 Mar 2012, 21:21 #3

OOG: Ao? Interesting choice- a god who is ABOVE gods, lol! Sure, just don't expect to run into any temples to him. Do you want Gorvar to be native, or an off-worlder? Your choice, of course, just let me know so I can decide where he best fits in. For now, it doesn't really matter, though, unless you have a backstory you want to work in.

IG (That's in-game, BTW): The half-orc is an oddity in this locale, at least to judge from the looks he receives from the other patrons. Most of the customers are human, with an occasional dwarf sprinkled in. A tall man with a mustache and a pot-belly stands behind the bar of the taproom, idly wiping down the counter with a rag. His apron is clean, but has seen better days. The inn is remarkably well-kept, with hardly a speck of dirt, in spite of the mostly unwashed clientel. A pretty serving-wench moves about the tables, while an old, balding gnome with spectacles and a bright red robe embroidered with golden flames sits at a table near the hearth, scribbling something in a book, while muttering to himself.

A trio of city guards walk in, sit down at a table near the half-orc, and order a round of drinks. One pulls out a deck of cards, and passes out hands among them. Gorvar can hear their conversation as they chat.
G#1: "Thank the gods we're finally off-duty. That Lord Ailshire's been running us all ragged looking for those damned thieves. I swear, you'd think it was something personal."
G#2: "Thieves? How do you know it's not just one? You're talking about the burgler leaving all those flowers everywhere, right? Anyway, after that last break-in, it doesn't surprise me. Someone got killed this time."
G#3: "No, he's right- three hits in one night? In different parts of the city, and all within an hour? Has to be more than one. And his high-and-mightyness wants them found, and soon. He wants to make an example of them. If you ask me, I think the tension with Ironhold has got King Highcastle breathing down Lord Ailshire's neck to put a stop to it. That way, at least it LOOKS like something is being done about all the kingdom's problems."
G#2: "By problems, I take it you mean those missing traders, eh?"
G#1: "And the goblins, AND the weird howling from the Grey Forest, AND Wynne Manor suddenly attacked and everyone in it dead or gone, AND...."
G#3: "Yeah, that's what I meant. And don't forget the rumor from Hondeth. People disappearing for days, then showing up like nothing happened, and acting strange? What ELSE can go wrong?"
G#1: "Don't ask! That's like inviting Briannya to bring us more bad luck!"

They fall silent for a few moments, and then a middle-aged man in a deep purple robe with an official insignia embroidered in it in red and gold enters. He moves over to a large cork-board on the wall near the doors, and places a long scroll on it. He leaves without a word, while the three guards stare after him.

G#1: "Great, speaking of Lord Ailshire...."
G#2: "That must be the proclamation he was working on. Did King Highcastle order that?"
G#3: "Don't know. I'd like to have a few words with his Royal Highness, though. Bad enough that they're working US to death, NOW they're trying to get mercenary scum to do OUR jobs FOR us!"
-from "Myth Directions"

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

27 Mar 2012, 21:36 #4

Gorvar took his drink and took a big gulp before he walked over to notice board and considered the options on them.

( Backstory wise I wanted to make Gorvar the son of a Orcish Knight, if possible, and a human barbarian woman. a somewhat strange combination but I wanted to give that a shot. His father died when he was young by orkoids (so he hates Orc and Goblin kin with a pasion) and he was raised by his mother to worship Ao. It's a Conan thing going on there with Crom, like in the classic film. Gorvar is a bit like a Conan, except his reasons for fighting is to show half-orcs are respected and some day become a true warrior like his father was. Hence his gear is a mix of barbarian armour and a armoured knight. )

MsMarvelDuckie
Inhuman

30 Mar 2012, 00:42 #5

Reading the posted scroll, it says: "By Royal Proclamation- His Most High Majesty King Roderick Highcastle V hereby decrees an open invitation to all interested parties to serve the kingdom of Deepvale as agents of the Crown in aiding with various important matters of state, sovereign security, and public safety. The Crown is looking for reliable, able-bodied persons to serve in various positions within the king's Men or the City Constablery. To apply, please seek an audience with His Royal Majesty's Court Steward and Advisor, Lord Danver Ailshire, at the High Court. Signed, Most Esteemed Lordship,. Danver Ailshire."

A few minutes after the scroll is posted, a ragged-looking man enters the inn, a hat in his hand, and strolls over to the counter, pulling two silver coins out of the hat and layingthem on the counter in front of the man behind the bar. "Den, me man, a tankard o' yer best ale, an' a bowl of venison stew, if you will! I've 'ad a good day's work, and I might e'en rent a room and a tub fer tonight!"

"Work?" Asks the tall man skeptically, pausing in his cleaning. "Thalos, you ain't worked a day in yer entire life. Now, outta my inn 'afore ye stink up the place an' scare off all my REAL customers."

"Hmph. Beggin's 'ard work, it is- sittin all day in th' 'ot sun, wavin my 'at at folks who pass, hobblin' round as ta git 'em ta take pity on a poor fella'. It's a right 'ard job! 'Sides, I got good coin 'ere. Yer gonna turn away two clinkers?" The dirty man- obviously a common begger- gives him an indignant look.

"Fine, but sit in a corner somewhere an' don't bother anyone, or I'll have those King's Men over there throw you out. Bad enough my best bouncer and entertainer's in the slam on trumped-up charges, now I'm 'avin to put up with YOU...." The inn-keeper says, shaking his head.
-from "Myth Directions"

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

30 Mar 2012, 12:52 #6

The half-orc contemplartes the option as he sees the beggar enter the tavern. As he made his way to his corner of the inn as he gathered his traveling back. As he passed the beggar he gave him some silver coins.
"When we were born, we were given the power to fight and shape our destiny." Gorvar said." Be that man, and you will be respected."
With that the half-orc was about to set off to the High Court.

darktruth
Neo

30 Mar 2012, 14:35 #7

OOC- Hmm, might join up. Not sure where to jump in though.
"Don't Act Too Paranoid Or They'll Know You're Onto Them."

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

30 Mar 2012, 15:20 #8

ooc; I think you can join in now. Jsut enter the tavern with your character and look up on the notice board or talk to Gorvar. I can edit the last sentence of mine if needed.

darktruth
Neo

31 Mar 2012, 09:54 #9

The grey eyes of the half-elf Jerall watched from a nearby alley as a half-orc exited the tavern onto the street.
The half-orc moved with such purpose it drew Jerall's curiosity.
The half-elf pulled his travelling cloak tighter around his leather armour and moved off into the street after the half-orc, making careful note of the barrel in which his weapons were stashed.

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

01 Apr 2012, 10:20 #10

Gorvar turned his head as he saw the half-elf follow him. He didnt smell wrong so Gorvar turned around and faced him.
"Who are you?" Gorvar asked." And why do you follow me?"

darktruth
Neo

01 Apr 2012, 10:36 #11

Jerall paused in his tracks, his eyes watching the half-orc curiously. Perhaps he should have kept more than a dagger upon him?
"Who I am and what I do is of little concern of yours, orc," he replied with venom. "But you are very much my concern. What purpose brings you to the city?"

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

01 Apr 2012, 14:30 #12

"Coin, battle, honour." the half-orc replied as he narrowed his eyes."I am on my way to the High Court to apply my sword arm, unless your going there as well I suggest you stop following me."

darktruth
Neo

01 Apr 2012, 15:10 #13

Jerall's mouth curled up into a smirk. "A mercenary? Of course, how very... fitting for one of orc-blood."
Jerall glanced about the street.
"High Court you say? Well, mayhaps that is my destination as well. It is as good a place as any to hunt my quarry."

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

01 Apr 2012, 16:54 #14

"Quarry? What are you, a bounty hunter?" Gorvar smirked a little." then again tracking things down in the woods is very...fitting for one of elf-blood." The half-orc laughed and slapped him on the back." Grab your things, you found yourself a traveling compagnion."

darktruth
Neo

01 Apr 2012, 18:43 #15

Jerall gave a slight shudder at the slap, his eyes continuing to examine the half-orc.
Perhaps there would be value in this one, if only for a short time.
"Indeed," he muttered. "You are odd for an orc-kin, though that seems a somewhat redundant statement. Allow me to gather my things."
Jerall moved quickly back to the alley, opening up a barell near the entrance. From it he retrieved a long-bow, a quiver filled with arrows, and a silver-handled rapier. He slung the bow and quiver onto his back, and fastened the rapier's sheath to his belt under his cloak before returning to the half-orc.
"Let us move then," he muttered as his eyes jumped around. "Remaining still in such a crowded place makes me... uneasy. Just watch yourself, I'll have no orc-breed treachery."

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

01 Apr 2012, 19:03 #16

"Funny, i heard the same thing about elves." the half-orc chuckeld and went along with his new compagnion to the High Court." My name is Gorvar." he offered his name." Yours?"

darktruth
Neo

02 Apr 2012, 00:38 #17

"Jerall," he replied haughtily. "Though I would suggest pleasantries be kept to a minimum. Allies change as the wind."

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

02 Apr 2012, 01:28 #18

"As you wish then." Gorvar replied." Makes me wonder what god you worship that makes you so paranoid though. I'm thinking your a Lolth fanatic, the only thing missing is a black skin and a spider to ride." He smirked.

darktruth
Neo

02 Apr 2012, 01:56 #19

Jerall waved his hand dismissively. "Gods are for those who cannot guide themselves."

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

02 Apr 2012, 15:07 #20

"Ah, we might be more alike then I thought." Gorvar replied." Ao values such characteristics."

darktruth
Neo

02 Apr 2012, 15:15 #21

"Yet you require a god to tell you so," Jerall muttered. "Orcs are such foolish, dim-witted creatures, it should be no surprise. And we are nothing alike, no more so than the wind and a rock are the same."

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

02 Apr 2012, 16:26 #22

" Ao needs no mindless worshippers or any worshippers of any kind." the half-orc replied." And neither does he take any xenophobic nonesense of a half-elf. So for the sake of your head and my clean axe, i suggest we intend keep conversation to a minimum. Agreed?"

darktruth
Neo

02 Apr 2012, 22:50 #23

"And we return to my original point," he sighed.

Gorvar
Homo Superior
Gorvar
Homo Superior

03 Apr 2012, 00:12 #24

Gorvar held his tingue and merely shook his head at his new compagnion. Together the two set off to High Court where they would find a worthy task.

MsMarvelDuckie
Inhuman

03 Apr 2012, 22:59 #25

OOG: DM laughs hysterically at the in-party antics...... This is already starting to sound just like one of my home campaigns, LOL!!! This should be interesting. Anywhos- ONWARD!!

IG: The oddly paired elf- and orc-kin follow the wide main road northward for a few blocks, until they come upon an impressive, domed stone building with a high roof, large, heavy wooden double doors, and a statue atop the pinnacle of a stern-faced maiden holding scales in one hand, and a spear in the other. On the doors is a large carving of the kingdom's seal- a rearing dragon holding a shield and mace.

As they approach, a pair of soldiers in red and purple livery open the doors (the seal is so large that each door holds only half of it) and inside is a massive foyer with a red marble floor, with a long hall leading right and left, presumably toward offices and other minor rooms. A pair of stairs curves up to a walkway above the foyer's center, leading to a second level of rooms over the two passages. The dome takes up most of the center, and beyond it, straight ahead, lies another pair of doors, flanked by a pair of statues- one in chains with a hood over its head, the other with arms outstretched and face lifted up.

A young man in scholarly grey robes and a pair of spectacles is awkwardly toddling toward the companions from the hallway to the left, carrying a load of heavy tomes in his amrs, stacked so high they almost block his view. He pauses as he spots them while trying to glance around his load. He gives them an odd look, and glances around as if looking for something.

"Pardon me, but if you're here to settle some dispute, you'll have to wait until the regular hearing times begin again next week. No suits will be heard during summer Festival. Have a good day, gentlesires." He gives a curt nod, and turns to continue on his way.....
-from "Myth Directions"