US tv, 1982 season

William S. Wilson
Mobian Idol

4:29 PM - May 26, 2011 #1

Another listing, this time from March 1982.

There is REPORT TO MURPHY with Michael Keaton popping up.

Q.E.D. with Sam Waterston wins the title of "worst show title ever" for now.

Had no idea they ever did a 9 TO 5 TV series. Looking it up on Wikipedia, they actually did TWO attempts at this series, one here and again in 1986. I also had no idea there was an 80s incarnation of MAVERICK with James Garner returning in the role on BRET MAVERICK.

And OPEN ALL NIGHT had the sitcom set up dream - a family that works and lives in a convenience store!

Hal Horn
Mobian

5:21 PM - May 26, 2011 #2

This has to be March 1982 rather than 83; BRET MAVERICK only aired during the 1981-82 season, and also POLICE SQUAD! only aired for the four Thursdays in March 1982.

BRET MAVERICK was unfairly canceled based on Nielsens alone, but maybe NBC expected more out of it based on the competition, the aforementioned Q.E.D. and the "please put it out of its misery"-era HAPPY DAYS, which was in the process of losing Moran and Baio to the spinoff JOANIE LOVES CHACHI until fall 1983.

If I recall correctly James Arness starred in MCCLAIN'S LAW which only lasted that season.

I loved both WKRP and TAXI but their respective networks kept switching them so much by that time that I couldn't keep up with them.
Check out the full length versions of all of my reviews at:

http://hornsection.blogspot.com/

William S. Wilson
Mobian Idol

5:25 PM - May 26, 2011 #3

Hal Horn @ May 26 2011, 11:21 AM wrote: This has to be March 1982 rather than 83
Ah, yes, corrected. At least I got it right in the thread title.

James Cheney
Mobian

6:50 PM - May 26, 2011 #4

I've commented on TJ HOOKER before, as a fascinatingly decadent (and watchable) Aaron Spelling piece of cynical garbage (the LAPD refused to lend its name or the city's to the project) and have reported my wife's claim that TJ Hooker was well known local slang for a one night stand across the border in Tijuana, which if true (it's contested, I know -TJ might be Tiberius Jefferson Hooker or some such), makes star William Shatner a cheap whore. He certainly acts the part. I wouldn't say he transcends the material but he's very good at sinking to its level; he smirks defiantly throughout the whole thing. Producer Spelling sneers as well as smirks at his perceived audience of brain dead eighties people, jowls glistening with grease as they hover over a bucket of southern fried chicken and waffles. This is the kind of programming designed for 'Welfare Queens' to watch (per Ronald Reagan's epithet).

Something very odd was happening in pop TV. Witness the degeneration of HAPPY DAYS into truly retarded spin offs, or all the shows with stars, who'd seen happier days themselves, acting with a wink that this was all a put-on and a joke: Rock Hudson had patented this approach some years before, drinking and sloshing his way through the last couple seasons of MCMILLAN [& WIFE], but that eccentricity was now becoming the norm. What was going on? Pervasive cynicism, the discovery of Cocaine as a TV production staple?

Good TV still thrived in this season as others have noted, and even good amiably sloshed silly TV: MAGNUM PI is sunbaked and foolish but carries on pretty decently in the ROCKFORD tradition.

10:16 PM - May 26, 2011 #5

William S. Wilson @ May 26 2011, 10:29 AM wrote:Q.E.D. with Sam Waterston wins the title of "worst show title ever" for now. 

Had no idea they ever did a 9 TO 5 TV series.  Looking it up on Wikipedia, they actually did TWO attempts at this series, one here and again in 1986.
Personally I think the Ned Beatty series SZYSNYK and the DUKES OF HAZZARD spin-off ENOS have it beat.

Q.E.D. was great fun - slickly produced in England and featuring a stable of Hammer veterans behind the camera. It only on the air briefly, and I think retitled THE MASTERMIND in the U.K.

I did see a few of the NINE TO FIVE episodes, one of which featured Jane Fonda as an over zealous security guard who could tear a phone book in half. In a rather unusual casting move they hired Dolly Parton's younger sister Rachel to play the same role her older sibling originated in the 1980 movie.

Marty McKee
Mobian Idol
Marty McKee
Mobian Idol

10:44 PM - May 26, 2011 #6

Why, Q.E.D. is a perfect title. After all, the main character's name is Quentin E. Deverill. I have every episode on disc and should probably rewatch them one of these days. My 30-year-old memory is that it was great fun.

BRET MAVERICK airs off and on on Encore Westerns. It's a good show, though not the equal of either MAVERICK or THE ROCKFORD FILES. But better than YOUNG MAVERICK.

TNT used to rerun CHICAGO STORY, which was an ambitious 90-minute drama that was sort of NYPD BLUE, ER, and L.A. LAW mixed into one series.

I can't deny anything James says about T.J. HOOKER, but I'm a Shatner fan and unabashedly loved it. Catching it now on DVD or Universal HD (T.J. HOOKER is in high-definition!), it's even more hilarious. If you want to laugh out loud, you can't beat T.J. HOOKER.
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.

William S. Wilson
Mobian Idol

11:07 PM - May 26, 2011 #7

My friend was recently telling me how funny episodes of T.J. HOOKER are when you examine them from an ego stroking stand point. He mentioned an episode where Hooker defends a cop on trial who is testifying against Adrian Zmed's character. They do a montage of Hooker looking at some law books and suddenly he is a law expert. My friend also said that the show even ended with Romano apologize to Hooker for being mad at him and that Hooker was right all along. Ha!

Shawn Garrett
Mobian

11:18 PM - May 26, 2011 #8

I remember really liking OPEN ALL NIGHT - I'll have to check YouTube and see if any trace exists!

just as I mentioned when THE PHOENIX came up a while back, and almost mentioned when SALVAGE ONE came up more recently - I will now mention that my late sister published probably the only Q.E.D. fanzine ever produced and so I've inherited boxes of production stills and stuff that the studio sent her.

The Q.E.D. zine, the name of which is slipping my mind (probably quite a clever title, like the FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE SERIES fanzine she published called "Curses, Foiled Again") was full of Q.E.D. stories, including her story with Quentin Everheart (or was it Everett?) Deverill crossing paths with Aleister Crowley (purportedly a possible spy/propagandist for Germany in WWI). THE PHOENIX and SALVAGE ONE works were not whole zines, per se, but stories set in a larger crossover story context (SALVAGE ONE crossed with GREATEST AMERICAN HERO, IIRC).

All of it is going to the University of Iowa's media archive in a special, named collection when I finally get around to sorting it all.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program -- BOOOOOOOOOOOP!

Shawn Garrett
Mobian

11:19 PM - May 26, 2011 #9

From that line-up, I also remember LOVE, SIDNEY and the hubbub it caused...

Hal Horn
Mobian

12:36 PM - May 27, 2011 #10

Marty McKee @ May 26 2011, 10:44 PM wrote:
BRET MAVERICK airs off and on on Encore Westerns. It's a good show, though not the equal of either MAVERICK or THE ROCKFORD FILES. But better than YOUNG MAVERICK.
Encore Western usually airs BRET MAVERICK on Saturday mornings.

We can only wonder if the show would have gained momentum in Season 2, but Jack Kelly made a cameo as Bart in the season finale and was reportedly going to be joining the cast as a regular as part of some retooling. Despite the intriguing changes in the finale the series wasn't renewed. Very similar to what happened to Garner's NICHOLS a decade earlier.
Check out the full length versions of all of my reviews at:

http://hornsection.blogspot.com/

Marty McKee
Mobian Idol
Marty McKee
Mobian Idol

4:44 PM - May 27, 2011 #11

William S. Wilson @ May 26 2011, 05:07 PM wrote: My friend was recently telling me how funny episodes of T.J. HOOKER are when you examine them from an ego stroking stand point. He mentioned an episode where Hooker defends a cop on trial who is testifying against Adrian Zmed's character. They do a montage of Hooker looking at some law books and suddenly he is a law expert. My friend also said that the show even ended with Romano apologize to Hooker for being mad at him and that Hooker was right all along. Ha!
One of the most hilarious episodes is about the Bigfoot Rapist, who's called that because his feet are like size 15 and because the cops can't catch him because he can outrun them. The show makes a huge deal over the fact that this rapist is a super-fast runner.

Of course, in the fourth act, Hooker chases him through a park, catches up to him, and does a sweet leap off a picnic table to tackle him. Hooker = Carl Lewis?

You can always tell if there will be a foot chase. If Zmed is driving the car, Shatner will have to get out and chase somebody. If Shatner is driving, there will be a car chase.
Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, or follow my blog at Johnny LaRue's Crane Shot.

5:26 AM - May 28, 2011 #12

Robert Richardson @ May 26 2011, 04:16 PM wrote:
William S. Wilson @ May 26 2011, 10:29 AM wrote:Q.E.D. with Sam Waterston wins the title of "worst show title ever" for now. 

Had no idea they ever did a 9 TO 5 TV series.  Looking it up on Wikipedia, they actually did TWO attempts at this series, one here and again in 1986.
Personally I think the Ned Beatty series SZYSNYK and the DUKES OF HAZZARD spin-off ENOS have it beat.
It wasn't Ned Beatty, it was Richard Masur.

Marty McKee
Mobian Idol
Marty McKee
Mobian Idol

4:35 PM - May 28, 2011 #13

Marc Edward Heuck @ May 27 2011, 11:26 PM wrote:
Robert Richardson @ May 26 2011, 04:16 PM wrote:

It wasn't Ned Beatty, it was Richard Masur.
Nope.

James Cheney
Mobian

10:15 PM - May 28, 2011 #14

That scheduling block has been haunting my dreams. I woke up this morning with a dislodged semi-memory of MAKING THE GRADE flashing for a half second before fading. Wasn't it SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER in disguise, David Naughton as Travolta?

Is there any trace of it at all on the Net, anywhere? UPDATE: I screwed up confusing David N.'s 1979 MAKIN' IT with the similarly named 1982 enigma show which starred his brother James Naughton! I give up! (or in TV parlance GIMME A BREAK!)

For the record, I'm a big TJ HOOKER fan nowadays though I despised it at the time largely due to the fact that Shatner had delivered his very best Kirk performance to date (WRATH OF KHAN) just months before HOOKER debuted.

This show seems to be an endless series of odd in jokes and bizarre put ons, among them the LCPD headquarters as located next to the American Film Institute library. And those cops doing their calisthenics, etc. They look more like a platoon of ballet dancers! Is there a book dedicated to the show and its secrets? TREK has a million of them. HOOKER deserves at least one, I'd think.

Marty McKee
Mobian Idol
Marty McKee
Mobian Idol

10:29 PM - May 28, 2011 #15

There's a pretty hilarious T.J. HOOKER fansite here. It's been around for ages, but I don't think it has been updated in several years. I can't tell if the guys in charge love the show or hate it--probably they feel the same way we do about it! The T.J. HOOKER games are incredible.

Dale Sherman
Mobian

12:29 AM - May 29, 2011 #16

Let's see ...

Definitely watched the Sunday Night block on CBS, although I didn't care for ALICE at all.

Although I loved WKRP, I had given up on the show by this point as it was hard to find when it was on and I felt the show was starting to get a bit preachy and losing its focus on being a funny show.

Definitely watched the POLICE SQUAD / BOSOM BUDDIES block if I could.

And that was it. By this point I was in college and busy with friends most nights so my television diet was namely LETTERMAN and anything on after that.

8:39 AM - May 29, 2011 #17

James Cheney @ May 28 2011, 04:15 PM wrote:That scheduling block has been haunting my dreams. I woke up this morning with a dislodged semi-memory of MAKING THE GRADE flashing for a half second before fading. Wasn't it SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER in disguise, David Naughton as Travolta?

Is there any trace of it at all on the Net, anywhere? UPDATE: I screwed up confusing David N.'s 1979 MAKIN' IT with the similarly named 1982 enigma show which starred his brother James Naughton! I give up! (or in TV parlance GIMME A BREAK!)
Here's the opening to MAKIN' IT:

MAKIN' IT opening credits

Marty McKee
Mobian Idol
Marty McKee
Mobian Idol

11:20 PM - Jun 04, 2011 #18

I started scanning this massive box of stills I've picked up over the years, 90% of them from the basement of an El Paso TV station in 1992. Thought you'd like to see what Q.E.D. looked like.