TV alert: LEGION

TV alert: LEGION

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

09 Feb 2017, 00:46 #1

They've been advertising this one for a few months, and at no point did I recognize the male lead as Dan Stevens of DOWNTON ABBEY fame (also played Edward Ferrars in the 2008 version of SENSE & SENSIBILITY). The reviews are rolling in and they are exuberantly positive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/arts ... -trip.html

The show was created by Noah Hawley, the guy behind the FARGO tv series. The cast also includes Aubrey Plaza, Rachel Keller, Katie Aselton, Jean Smart, Bill Irwin, Jemaine Clement.

Debuts tonight on FX at 10pm.

Kim Greene
Mobian

09 Feb 2017, 02:38 #2

I've seen at least one weird advertisement for LEGION (baby suddenly floating in the air in a hospital ward) so yeah, I've heard of it.

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

07 Mar 2017, 03:25 #3

So anybody watching this, besides me? I'm enjoying it a lot. I belatedly realized that the comic book character was co-created by Bill Sienkiewicz, who did the art for ELEKTRA: ASSASSIN, among other things. The other creator was longtime X-MEN writer Chris Claremont.

Yi Lee
Mobian
Yi Lee
Mobian

07 Mar 2017, 23:39 #4

Hey Lisa (and everybody else),

I caught the show during my recent Texas road trip with my mom to handle some family business. I don't have cable and since I cancelled my gym membership to concentrate on the joys of running out in the open on tracks and trails as opposed to the sweaty foot stank human hamster wheel of the treadmill--thank you climate change for the 30+ degrees warmer than usual weather--no longer have access to whatever paid TV the front desk has blaring on the big screens (cannot be bothered to change the channel lest I tick off fellow amblers that are really into their FX). I wanted to like this show but I'm getting to the point in my life where mutants and costumed superheroes and apocalyptic portents led by guys in black suits don't do it for me anymore.

In another thread I mentioned I started working in the film industry a few years ago. And although I haven't bothered to put up an IMDB page, yes, I "day played" on local shows like Constantine and Halt and Catch Fire. The cancellation of the former really hit me hard and since then, my interest in comic book properties has just plummeted. I like iZombie but maybe because it's a Rob Thomas show rather than a former Vertigo property (and not a terribly faithful adaptation from what I hear).

I guess I'm like my cousins who got burnt out reading wuxia novels in the 90s except with superhero shows (which they still lap up 'cause that's still novel to them?). They've sure put money into Legion--maybe not Westworld levels of backing--and they've got a good ensemble with something to say (the show runner is a remarkable talent to watch) but I just can't get my interest up for this particular Marvel series or superheroes (and -heroines) in general.

In real life I don't eat beef anymore since I don't don't like the way it tastes or its' mouthfeel. And Legion is like a tasty cheeseburger but since I personally don't partake anymore, I'm not going out of my way to follow it. But if you (I'm not talking to just Lisa here) like cheeseburgers with perfect fries alongside artisan dipping sauces, this show might be just what you've been looking for.