Summer shows

Summer shows

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

22 Jul 2017, 01:10 #1

Summer. It used to be the dumping grounds for busted pilots and shows that were unceremoniously yanked off the air mid-stream. They would burn off the remaining episodes over the summer. But the landscape has changed a lot with the rise of basic cable networks. Now you have to check tv sites to make sure you are not missing some summer premiere gem.

Kim talked about the PRIME SUSPECT origins show and GRANTCHESTER in another thread. Last Sunday, my local PBS had about four new MASTERPIECE/MYSTERY! shows debuting that I never heard of. I almost bailed on REMEMBER ME because the Spectrum cable description and the presence of Michael Palin made me think it was a sitcom based in an old folks home. But it's apparently a spooky ghost story/crime drama. Not sure where it's going but I'm glad I watched the pilot episode. The cast also includes Mark Addy and Julia Sawalha. It's a 3-parter. You can watch part 1 here:
http://www.pbs.org/program/remember-me/

There was another one called THE WIDOWER that seems to be about a shady character remarrying after possibly murdering wife #1. I recorded it but haven't watched it yet.

There's a British production on CW called HOOTEN & THE LADY. Spectrum cable had it flagged as a repeat but I think they based that on the original UK airdate since I'm sure it was never on CW before. It's reminiscent of ROMANCING THE STONE, with a British museum curator (Ophelia Lovibond, previously seen as Kitty on ELEMENTARY) seeking the camp of Victorian explorer Percy Fawcett in the Amazon. She reluctantly teams up with adventurer ne'er-do-well Hooten (Michael Landes) and they go looking for El Dorado. ROMANCING THE STONE with a dash of INDIANA JONES. There were two episodes on this week. You can probably watch them both on-demand.

Spike's adaptation of Stephen King's THE MIST apparently debuted a month ago and I totally missed it. Ditto the third and final season of BROADCHURCH on BBC-America. The crack origins drama SNOWFALL debuted a couple of weeks ago on FX.

GAME OF THRONES, THE STRAIN and SHOOTER are back. The Conan O'Brien produced sitcom, PEOPLE OF EARTH is back next week on TBS. Also two new broadcast shows, MIDNIGHT TEXAS and SOMEWHERE BETWEEN. TBS has another new comedy series called THE GUEST BOOK starting in August. HALT & CATCH FIRE is back in August. So is THE LAST SHIP [that's still on?] And a new season of ENDEAVOR on PBS.

I've scrolled through the whole deadline.com list and there's no sign of MR. ROBOT. I could have sworn that was back in July, but nope. Apparently it's not on until October.

Kim Greene
Mobian

28 Jul 2017, 10:06 #2

@Lisa

REMEMBER ME popped on out of nowhere last week, but not having heard of it, and wanting to watch something else, I didn't watch it. I did watch it this past Sunday, and thought it had a decent creepy atmosphere---it reminded me of THE GRUDGE for some reason (the American version, even though I've always thought the original Japanese version was much creepier, though.) It was also interesting to see Michael Palin, one of my favorite Monty Python members, in a dramatic role for once. Saw the advertisements for HOOTEN AND THE LADY, which didn't say what it was about, so thanks for the plot info. I thought maybe ENDEAVOUR was done and over with---I haven't seen or heard jack about since the third season wrapped last year. So it's really coming back? Sweet!

Nice to hear that PEOPLE ON EARTH is back----I saw a TBS back-to-back-episode bingefest of the show at my friend's place earlier this year (she has cable) and wound up liking it. I've seen a lot of UFO films and shows, and frankly, the topic's just been done to death already---so I didn't see how anyone could wring any more out of the subject. But PEOPLE OF EARTH turned out to be funny, thoughtful,with compelling characters, and basically comes off like a silly satire of the whole UFO phenomenon in general, when it comes to the alien scenes. I need to start watching BROADCHURCH, too. BTW, did you see the American version of the show that was produced for either FOX or the CW (can't recall which, since I didn't see it, but it was advertised a hell of a lot) and how did it compare with the original British version?

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

29 Jul 2017, 03:49 #3

I completely missed the US remake of BROADCHURCH. I had the impression that it was a scene for scene remake so I didn't really see the point of it. But I could be wrong since I didn't watch it.

I really like PEOPLE OF EARTH too. I meant to watch the season 2 premiere a few nights ago, kept checking the clock until 10 minutes before air time and then completely forgot until it was over. Oh well. I'm sure it's on-demand.