Mardi Gras Massacre soundtrack

Mardi Gras Massacre soundtrack

Andrew King
Mobian

Dec 18 2007, 01:14 AM #1

From my iPod Touch eminates the non-stop disco boogie music soundtrack of 'Mardi Gras Massacre' whilst fast-forwarding through the film. I have always wanted a soundtrack CD of the film (let alone a remastered DVD!), and my only clue was on the film's credits music supplied by Westbound Records - I'd never heard of them. I had thought any Master Tapes may have been destroyed in the New Orleans disaster if it was a local record company, but a little research informed me they were a Detroit outfit with pedigree of Staxx. Anyhow, tonight I turned up this track on You Tube The Mike Theodore Orchestra - Cosmic Wind (1977) DISCO which was instantly recognisable from the movie's sacrifice scenes. I was tipped off by a thread at The DVD Maniacs Forum, and that they may be Dennis Coffey co-productions.

Then from the end of a scene where our hero exits a bar with the 'feature attraction' dancer who is hooking on the side The Mike Theodore Orchestra - The Bull (1977) DISCO.

Can anyone help ID any other tracks used in the film?

Also still looking for names/artists/(physical) releases of music tracks for the films Faceless, The House At The Edge Of The Park, Blue Holocaust etc.

Dec 18 2007, 01:44 PM #2

Chris Poggiali, a big R&B fan, identified all but one of the tracks over at his Temple of Schlock page just a couple of weeks ago. The address: www.myspace.com/originaltempleofschlock

For those who are allergic to MySpace, here's the post:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, November 27, 2007

MARDI GRAS MASSACRE -- The soundtrack!

by Chris Poggiali

Jack Weis' no-budget gore flick MARDI GRAS MASSACRE (1978) features a slammin' – and completely inappropriate – soundtrack of R&B/disco songs credited to Westbound Records and the label's top production team at the time, Dennis Coffey & Mike Theodore (Theo-Coff Productions). No song titles or artists are listed in the credits, but I've managed to identify all but one of the songs and confirm the 1978 production date that is most frequently cited for this movie -- even though it received its widest theatrical exposure five years later.

Westbound Records, formed in Detroit in 1970 by Armen Boladian, had just seen its three most successful acts (The Ohio Players, Funkadelic, Denise LaSalle) depart for greener pastures and needed some hits to satisfy a new distribution deal with Atlantic Records. Theo-Coff – the team that discovered Rare Earth and Lonette McKee, produced "So Nice to be With You" by Gallery as well as Coffey's own million-seller "Scorpio," and brought the world one of the greatest movie themes ever ("Theme from BLACK BELT JONES") – was called in to produce some hits for the struggling Motor City label. They could've had a smash with "Devil's Gun" by C.J. & Co. but the single, despite being a big hit in the clubs, only reached 36 on the Pop chart and never got the push it deserved. By the time MARDI GRAS MASSACRE was completed, Westbound had lost its distribution deal with Atlantic Records and Theo-Coff was looking for work elsewhere.

I wrote to Dennis Coffey about MARDI GRAS MASSACRE in early 2006 and he answered, "A long time ago Mike Theodore and I and Armen from Westbound worked on a film score based upon things we had already recorded. It was a pretty gory film. I don't know if this is the one you are referring to."

It is!

All of the Coffey songs were pulled from Back Home and the Theodore numbers were from Cosmic Wind, both released in 1977. "Big City Sidewalk" is on C.J. & Co.'s second album, Deadeye Dick, a Theo-Coff production released in 1978. Several of the songs are heard twice in the film, and the intro from "Cosmic Wind" is played every time one of the gory sacrificial murders is committed.

1. "High On Love" – Dennis Coffey
2. "Cosmic Wind" – The Mike Theodore Orchestra
3. "Funk Connection" – Dennis Coffey
4. "Our Love Goes On Forever" – Dennis Coffey
5. "Ain't Nothing to It" – The Mike Theodore Orchestra
6. "The Bull" – The Mike Theodore Orchestra
7. "Belly Boogie" – The Mike Theodore Orchestra
8. "Free Spirit" – Dennis Coffey
9. "Boogie Magic" – Dennis Coffey
10. "I Love the Way You Move" – The Mike Theodore Orchestra
11. "Big City Sidewalk" – C.J. & Co.
12. "Brazilian Lullaby" – The Mike Theodore Orchestra
13. "Wings of Fire" – Dennis Coffey

Andrew King
Mobian

Dec 18 2007, 07:41 PM #3

Wow - (nearly?) all the soundtrack sorted in less than 24 hours after waiting 24 years!

Got the NEW vinyl LPs of DEADEYE DICK - C.J. AND COMPANY & back home - DENNIS COFFEY for $20 each off amazon.com reseller, and CD Cosmic Wind / High on Mad Mountain - Mike Theodore from amazon.co.uk.

Amazon Music Sampler: Cosmic Wind

Andrew King
Mobian

Dec 31 2007, 05:17 AM #4

Brand new cutout LPs have now arrived, and I am still awaiting the Amazon.co.uk CD dispatch. Meanwhile a 58 hour (yes!) 2 pass MPEG2 DVD encode for a 16/9 anamorphic DVD is currently running on my PC using many of the filter settings on TMPG4 to enhance the original NTSC VHS for my 'Special Edition', which will include the seperate soundtrack on PCM or Dolby Digital (as a slide show) for each track.

Big City Sidewalk - slowed down to -16 (why?!!!) from the scene in the movie where our two flatfoots are stomping around after dark going from bars to shops (Takee Outee!) to street entertainers trying to get a lead on the sacrificial muders.

Andrew King
Mobian

Feb 5 2008, 05:09 AM #5

With a bit of free time finally, I got back to my DVD restoration of 'Mardi Grass Massacre' grading. Here is a YouTube clip featuring the main Disco scene!
And the two Detectives hitting the New Orleans streets, bars and clubs at night.

Andrew King
Mobian

Nov 12 2017, 03:10 AM #6

I've had new LPs of C.J. And Company - Deadeye Dick & Dennis Coffey - Back Home bought off Amazon back in December 2007 (still) awaiting transfer, and can now do them in 24/96 Hi Res Audio; and have just 'upgraded' from the CD to a near Mint LP (from Discogs) of The Mike Theodore Orchestra - Cosmic Wind. All this to join the recent Code Red Blu-ray of the film (which I only just found had been released) - never though that an upgrade from the VHS would be possible to such a degree (and take soooooo many years!)

Kim Greene
Mobian

Nov 22 2017, 04:03 PM #7

So you're basically been waiting 34 years to upgrade from the CD to the LP, and finally get a Blu-Ray of the film itself? Geesh! Never heard of this Mardi Gras Massacre flick, but if it's a Dennis Coffey soundtrack, it's probably good. Coffey himself still plays live here in the D on a regular basis nowadays too,btw. And the movie's also on the tube, w/ Spanish subs.