Lengthy Stuart Gordon interview

Lengthy Stuart Gordon interview

William S. Wilson
Mobian Idol

10 Jun 2006, 00:35 #1

Here is a great Stuart Gordon interview from SuicideGirls.com (link is safe for work). He mentions tons of stuff and addresses the recent airing of FROM BEYOND uncut on HDTV (they say it will air June 10th).

http://suicidegirls.com/words/Stuart+Go ... or%92s+Cut+/

10 Jun 2006, 02:40 #2

There is mention of the forthcoming DVD, and Gordon mentions some promising extras... but no word on who might be releasing this when. I wonder if he or anybody really knows if the DVD is still happening.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory... and I didn't have a good time."

Michael R. Felsher
Fledgling Mobian
Michael R. Felsher
Fledgling Mobian

10 Jun 2006, 05:08 #3

All I can say is...

The DVD is happening...

But due to the current Sony/MGM/Fox transitioning, it may be delayed a little bit...but it is coming.

10 Jun 2006, 06:09 #4

Michael R. Felsher @ Jun 10 2006, 12:08 AM wrote:
But due to the current Sony/MGM/Fox transitioning, it may be delayed a little bit...but it is coming.
Getting the MGM-owned catalog away from Sony (and their unreal pricing for back catalog, amongst other things) is worth any resulting delays for projects in the pipeline, as far as I'm concerned :ph43r:

William S. Wilson
Mobian Idol

12 Jun 2006, 04:55 #5

So did anyone catch the airing of the director's cut of FROM BEYOND on Monsters HD? Here is their trailer for it:

http://www.monstershd.com/content/clips ... re_525.MOV

Todd Loya
Fledgling Mobian
Todd Loya
Fledgling Mobian

13 Jun 2006, 05:33 #6

William S. Wilson @ Jun 11 2006, 10:55 PM wrote: So did anyone catch the airing of the director's cut of FROM BEYOND on Monsters HD? Here is their trailer for it:

http://www.monstershd.com/content/clips ... re_525.MOV
I recorded it and plan on watching it tomorrow night or Saturday night. After I watch it I'll try and post some screen grabs of the new footage.

15 Jun 2006, 00:41 #7

Okay, Tim Lucas saw it and said the new transfer is wonderful but the extra footage was less than half a minute.

http://videowatchdog.blogspot.com/2006/ ... vised.html
(link to Lucas' revised blog post)

Anyone who's more of a FROM BEYOND freak catch the new version? I never liked this one as much as RE-ANIMATOR, but it's still one of the best monster movies of its time and I've always felt the erotic and gory scenes were always missing something. Even if only a small amount of deleted footage has been recovered, my money is ready for this long overdue DVD. Let's have it out by Halloween!

William S. Wilson
Mobian Idol

15 Jun 2006, 00:49 #8

Hmmmmm, that is odd. Lucas says it is 17 seconds and Gordon says in that interview that it is just under 2 minutes. I guess we will find out when it hits DVD.

Jeff Nelson
Mobian

15 Jun 2006, 00:58 #9

Even 17 extra seconds of solid gore is quite a bit. I can't wait till this hits DVD.

15 Jun 2006, 01:40 #10

Lucas says the R-rated version is "something like 84 minutes, 59 seconds", he doesn't say he actually timed the film out to that exact length, nor does he offer when he last watched the R-rated version. I'll take Gordon's word that the footage is more substantial than 17-seconds. I believe in the earlier interviews, Gordon said the eye sucking alone has about 30 seconds added. I remember seeing uncut FROM BEYOND clips on the old "Incredibly Strange" show- it was the first big transformation scene- and pretty much every shot was extended. Now, if you timed out that footage it might only work out to 2 or 3 seconds, but it was very noticeable nontheless.

Vincent

15 Jun 2006, 07:59 #11

After watching a side by side of the new version with the Hong Kong vcd version I have, there's more then 17 seconds restored, and not all of it is just gore:

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT SEEN FROM BEYOND

About 9:52- There is a restored scene lasting 46 sec.of Dr. Bloch entering a room that leads into some dialogue where D.A. Jordan Fields. is telling Dr.Bloch that they are using Dr. that they're using Dr. Katherine McMichaels expertise in determining Crawford's mental state. there's also some dialgue between Dr. Bloch and Dr. McMichaels regarding their different approaches to schizophrenia,setting up their rivalry. In the original cut, this is replaced by two quick shots: a reaction shot of Dr. McMichaels,taken from later in this scene, over the sound of the door opening,and a reaction shot of Dr. Bloch.

When Pretorious is manhandling Dr. McMichaels, the shot is extended by 3 seconds as his elongated hand reaches in between her legs. It's not actually shown, but obvious,nonetheless.

An additional 17 seconds when Dr. Bloch attempts to examine Crawford and his pineal gland plays peekaboo.

The murder of Dr. Bloch has the long missing shot of the eye being spit out, as well as a kick to her groin just before. About 4 sec. longer then before.

The shot of the ambulance attendant getting her head slammed on the ground is extended about 2 seconds.

About 1:12 longer. Give or take.

Chris Neill
Mobian

15 Jun 2006, 11:45 #12

(Possible spoilers)

While I am still excited about the seeing restored FROM BEYOND considering the amount of publicity involved I thought the previously unseen footage was going to be much substantial. For example I recall Jeffrey Combs recounting in an interview a particularly graphic moment missing from the opening scene in which Pretorious is torturing a young woman during an S&M act. I presume such scenes never went beyond (no pun intended) the cutting room floor and did not surface in any cut of the picture.

Victor Boston
Mobian

15 Jun 2006, 12:03 #13

For example I recall Jeffrey Combs recounting in an interview a particularly graphic moment missing from the opening scene in which Pretorious is torturing a young woman during an S&M act. I presume such scenes never went beyond (no pun intended) the cutting room floor and did not surface in any cut of the picture.
I think this was addressed at the beginning when news surfaced. Gordon said there was a tongue-piercing bit that might have been cool then but was not being reinstated.

Personally, I'm definitely getting this because:

I only have a VHS UK cassette that suffers from the same problem highlighted by Tim - the colours don't work terribly well on this format.

The aforementioned cassette is shorn of a single shot that makes it incomplete

The new disc would be worth getting if it was the same old print, never mind the inclusion of restored footage. I agree that even a few seconds of extra gore would still be a cause for celebration. Domenick's outline of additional footage sounds very exciting to me. I don't think I could ask for more from the film itself. Bolstered with a detailed commentary and some interesting extras (behind the scenes fottage of the in-camera effects stuff would be great to have) there is no question of me not getting this*

Victor

* sudden death not withstanding

15 Jun 2006, 12:35 #14

Great work, Domenick! Thanks!

John Bernhard
Mobian

15 Jun 2006, 13:04 #15

Sounds like this is gonna be fun to sit down with when it comes out. Thanks for the blow by blow Domenick!

Tim Lucas
Mobian

15 Jun 2006, 15:49 #16

Lucas says the R-rated version is "something like 84 minutes, 59 seconds", he doesn't say he actually timed the film out to that exact length, nor does he offer when he last watched the R-rated version.
I last saw the R-rated version on Monsters HD just before it was announced that the director's cut was forthcoming. I just checked the DVD-R I recorded at that time, and the running time I reported/speculated was based on the inclusion of opening and closing MGM logos. The director's cut features no logos. The R-rated version shown by Monsters HD, minus the logos, runs exactly 84m 36s. Therefore the director's cut would add about 1m 20s -- so Stuart Gordon's "just under two minutes" seems fair enough.

I have revised my blog of yesterday to reflect these findings, and have provided a link back here to Domenick's useful list of additions.

15 Jun 2006, 21:10 #17

Vincent Pereira @ Jun 14 2006, 07:40 PM wrote: I remember seeing uncut FROM BEYOND clips on the old "Incredibly Strange" show- it was the first big transformation scene- and pretty much every shot was extended. Now, if you timed out that footage it might only work out to 2 or 3 seconds, but it was very noticeable nontheless.

Vincent
It's been a long time since I've seen that show Vincent, but can you recall any particulars? I didn't notice any difference in the big effects scenes, but I'm curious about what's in that show.

Tim Lucas
Mobian

15 Jun 2006, 23:20 #18

I remember seeing uncut FROM BEYOND clips on the old "Incredibly Strange" show- it was the first big transformation scene- and pretty much every shot was extended. Now, if you timed out that footage it might only work out to 2 or 3 seconds, but it was very noticeable nontheless.
Could that be because FROM BEYOND was still in rough cut stage at the time that program aired? It's possible the edit wasn't locked down yet.

15 Jun 2006, 23:44 #19

I just remember that the shots themselves in that first big transformation scene were all longer, they dwelled on them more before cutting away, like the shot where the torrent of slimy liquid is shooting out of his neck which was cut really quick in the theatrical edit. It really jumped out at me at the time that the shots were all extended, because I was very familiar with FROM BEYOND at the time and seeing those extended shots really made an impression on me. I wish somebody could pull up a tape of that show and check it, 'cause I seem to be the only one who remembers seeing the extended FROM BEYOND clips on it and I'd like to think I'm not crazy or didn't imagine it.

Vincent

Jeff Nelson
Mobian

16 Jun 2006, 00:58 #20

Tim Lucas @ Jun 15 2006, 05:20 PM wrote:
I remember seeing uncut FROM BEYOND clips on the old "Incredibly Strange" show- it was the first big transformation scene- and pretty much every shot was extended. Now, if you timed out that footage it might only work out to 2 or 3 seconds, but it was very noticeable nontheless.
Could that be because FROM BEYOND was still in rough cut stage at the time that program aired? It's possible the edit wasn't locked down yet.
FROM BEYOND was released in 1986. The Incredibly Strange Film Show did not air until 1988, according to the IMDB. Of course, the show could have gotten hold of a work print. If there is a work print of this floating around, with even more gore than in the director's cut, I'd love to see it...