AMERICAN GODS casting

AMERICAN GODS casting

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

01 Feb 2016, 02:57 #1

The Starz tv production has found its Shadow:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/201 ... eil-gaiman

I don't watch THE 100 so I have no idea who this guy is, but if Neil is happy, I am happy.

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

12 Mar 2016, 04:00 #2

Forgot to mention that they found their Mr. Wednesday, and it's Ian McShane! Perfect.

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

18 Mar 2016, 04:06 #3

Emily Browning has been cast as Laura [Shadow's wife].

https://deadline.com/2016/03/american-g ... 201722126/

Kim Greene
Mobian

04 May 2017, 05:41 #4

AMERICAN GODS finally debuted on the STARZ channel April 30 (this past Sunday) to a really high viewership. The advertisements I've been seeing for it are really intriguing---plus an interesting and eclectic cast--here's a review of it:

AMERICAN GODS debut on Starz[/URL

Here's another article about a way-out-there-sex-scene involving one of the gods from the show, and what it means:

[url=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ene-998539]The Hollywood Reporter---American Gods

Here's a disturbing NSFW clip in which the African trickster god Anansi (played by Orlando Jones) informs the captives on a slave ship what they're got to look forward to in America in an ironic, sarcastic way--and it definitely ain't good:

The Hollywood Reporter

And last, but not least, here's a breakdown of how AMERICAN GODS itself, based on a 2001 fantasy novel by famed fantasy author Neil Gaiman, finally made it to the small screen:

Rolling Stone---How American Gods was formed

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

04 May 2017, 23:56 #5

Kim Greene @ May 3 2017, 11:41 PM wrote: AMERICAN GODS finally debuted on the STARZ channel April 30 (this past Sunday) to a really high viewership. The advertisements I've been seeing for it are really intriguing---plus an interesting and eclectic cast--here's a review of it:

AMERICAN GODS debut on Starz[/URL

Here's another article about a way-out-there-sex-scene involving one of the gods from the show, and what it means:

[URL=http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ene-998539]The Hollywood Reporter---American Gods

Here's a disturbing NSFW clip in which the African trickster god Anansi (played by Orlando Jones) informs the captives on a slave ship what they're got to look forward to in America in an ironic, sarcastic way--and it definitely ain't good:

The Hollywood Reporter

And last, but not least, here's a breakdown of how AMERICAN GODS itself, based on a 2001 fantasy novel by famed fantasy author Neil Gaiman, finally made it to the small screen:

Rolling Stone---How American Gods was formed
I know exactly which sex scene that article is talking about from the book -- which is really good and you should all read it.

Neil Gaiman's IMDb page now lists THE GRAVEYARD BOOK and SANDMAN as 'announced'. SANDMAN has been in Development Hell since the late 80s at least. Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio had a long and tortured account of where that project stood when they were involved with it. They had a good script that Gaiman liked and then Jon Peters got his claws into it and ruined everything. Here's part of the story:

http://www.wordplayer.com/archives/SANDMAN.intro.html

But there was more about Peters involvement and a subsequent script where there was a physical battle between Dream and the Corinthian. It sounded truly heinous. Drew's script-o-rama has 3 separate SANDMAN scripts but not the one with the fist fight. I'm trying to remember who the writer was. Neil Gaiman talks about it here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2602767/neil-ga ... daptation/

EDIT: It was William Farmer who put in the fisticuffs. Also in that script:
  • Lucifer, the Corinthian and Morpheus are brothers
  • Morpheus's sister is Love instead of Death
  • Morpheus is captured by teenagers holding a seance instead of the Aleister Crowley like character
  • at the end it turns out it was all a dream
More about SANDMAN's time in Development Hell here:
http://www.flixist.com/from-hell-sandma ... 7102.phtml

Kim Greene
Mobian

10 May 2017, 01:48 #6

Here's a brief interview with the actress playing the goddess of that controversial scene:

Business Insider

Also, the lead of AMERICAN GODS describes how he survived 16 auditions to get the role:

Business Insider---American Gods

I've only read two good graphic novels by Neil Gaiman----VIOLENT CASES and THE BOOKS OF MAGIC, which were both pretty good. I've never been into his work,either, but I come across something as good as those first tow I mentioned, I might. He also has a brand new nonfiction collection out called A VIEW FROM THE CHEAP SEATS, which is about his being a film lover, I think. I don't have cable, but I wouldn't mind catching up with AMERICAN GODS once it hits DVD,or wherever I can see it. Interesting stuff about The Sandman, though.

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

12 May 2017, 02:59 #7

SANDMAN is really excellent, I can't recommend it highly enough. You might check out the first trade paperback (Preludes and Nocturnes), which collects the first story arc, but the series doesn't really hit its stride until the second TPB (The Doll's House). John Constantine's first appearance is in Preludes and Nocturnes.

Correction: John Constantine first appeared in SWAMP THING under Alan Moore's watch [another great comic that I highly recommend, the Alan Moore years anyway].

Kim Greene
Mobian

12 May 2017, 05:14 #8

@Lisa

Constantine also turns up in the THE BOOKS OF MAGIC as one of the four magicians sent to train the main character---which was a nice and unexpected surprise, since I'd gotten back to reading the HELLBLAZER comics after becoming a fan of the TV series. Thanks for the other recs, too.

Here's an article I stumbled across about another potentially controversial (maybe in some quarters,maybe not) AMERICAN GODS episode involving a gay sex scene between two Muslim dudes (this being AG, of course, one of them's actually a djinn in disguise) getting to know one another, lol. The showrunners, actors and Gaiman himself discuss how they gradually developed and handled the scene:

Buzzfeed-----American Gods scene

Kim Greene
Mobian

16 May 2017, 12:17 #9

Here's an article about five new action-adventure shows on cable----with two of them having upped more of the gay and bisexual quotient than usual,and one of the shows actually being at least seven years old:

Vox----Five action adventure shows worth watching

Plus, INTO THE BADLANDS just arrived on Netflix, for anyone's that's interested--the show will be having a second season.

Lisa Larkin
Mobian

17 May 2017, 02:31 #10

Kim Greene @ May 16 2017, 06:17 AM wrote: Plus, INTO THE BADLANDS just arrived on Netflix, for anyone's that's interested--the show will be having a second season.
You mean third season? The second season is airing now on AMC.

Kim Greene
Mobian

17 May 2017, 23:05 #11

@Lisa

Oops--my bad. Just glad to hear about it being available,that's all. And, yeah, it's the first season Netflix has,duh.

Lenny Moore
Mobian

12 Jun 2017, 02:52 #12

The Atlantic has an interesting article about AMERICAN GODS (I've read the book, but have yet to view any of the show), entitled The Refreshing Queer Sensibility of AMERICAN GODS.

Kim Greene
Mobian

14 Jun 2017, 07:01 #13

Just came across this article about how the author believes these two previous shows may have influenced AMERICAN GODS' treatment of religion (especially since they were also written by AG's showrunner, Bryan Fuller.)

Paste---American Gods' Imaginative Take On The Divine

Also, here's another article about the queer sensibilities of AMERICAN GODS and other contemporary shows---it is somewhat NSFW:

American Gods, Sense 8, and the Future Of Gay Sex On TV

And, last but not least, here's AG's executive producer (and author of the book the show is based on) Neil Gaiman on his own surprise at how the show has taken off:

Variety---Neil Gaiman's Surprise At How AG Has Really Taken Off

Kim Greene
Mobian

14 Jun 2017, 07:31 #14

Here Ian McShane, one of the stars of AMERICAN GODS, talks about the show, and has some thoughtful things to say about its appeal:

Ian McShane talks AMERICAN GODS

Kim Greene
Mobian

02 Jul 2017, 09:23 #15

Yeah, yeah, I know---another AMERICAN GODS article, but this one comes from a unique point of view, and yep, it's about the Jinn episode, of course. The podcast of the show (with a critique from a Middle Eastern author about the Arabic spoken in the show and its unconventional take on religion is also worth listening to:)

ColorWebMag----American Gods