Forum rules
Kojima Productions: [center] [img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/75/Kojima_Productions_logo.png [/img] [/center]
Ray20
Jail Guard
Jail Guard
Ray20
Jail Guard
Jail Guard

February 13th, 2018, 2:34 am #31

Is this fight all for the cameras?? Does Kojima make any other games for Konami other than msg??

Khun
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Khun
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

February 14th, 2018, 8:14 pm #32

He did the Boktai series.

Example
Jail Guard
Jail Guard

February 23rd, 2018, 12:58 pm #33

Kojima wanted to be done with the series for well over a decade, so even if Konami hadn't given him his walking papers I doubt he'd be that keen to continue milking a franchise that's already way past its prime (which he not-so-subtly alluded to with Old Snake). Besides what else could he do with the series? The only crucial part of the timeline that was never covered by the games was when Raiden got his cyborg body and saved Sunny from the Patriots, but that fell through with the cancellation of MGS Rising. The only alternative was yet another Big Boss prequel sidegame which adds nothing of value to the timeline.

But yeah, if they really are going to continue Metal Gear without Kojima the best thing to do would be a reboot, because there's no way Konami could do justice to the currently existing storyline especially without Kojima. It would be a pure cash-in on the brandname and nothing more.

Khun
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Khun
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

February 24th, 2018, 4:57 pm #34

Example wrote:
But yeah, if they really are going to continue Metal Gear without Kojima the best thing to do would be a reboot, because there's no way Konami could do justice to the currently existing storyline especially without Kojima. It would be a pure cash-in on the brandname and nothing more.
This is not case: Metal Gear Portable Ops, Metal Gear Portable and Metal Gear Rising are unofficially canon games; evidences that it's possible to make excellent canon games without Kojima being directly involved.

The issue is that Konami isn't "allowed" to make canon/reboot games because of people getting pissed, sadly. In the future we might only see games similar to Survive. They're stuck.

Mr. Hardstone
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

February 24th, 2018, 9:50 pm #35

I mean, do you think Blade Runner fans ever thought they'd ever get another film? People were amazed wen Dragon Ball Super was announced. We got a new (and great!) 2D Sonic game last year. And we got two new Adam West Batman films (animated, but still) in the last few years. I find it increasingly difficult to believe that anything is ever truly 'done' or 'finished'. I can't necessarily see it happening any time soon, but I couldn't personally rule out the possibility.
"Let's say you got your dick robbed by Moroccans...
...Would your stance scare them?"
#ripdidotheorgnotthesingershesstillaliveasfarasimaware

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

June 21st, 2018, 6:43 pm #36

Example wrote:Kojima wanted to be done with the series for well over a decade, so even if Konami hadn't given him his walking papers I doubt he'd be that keen to continue milking a franchise that's already way past its prime (which he not-so-subtly alluded to with Old Snake). Besides what else could he do with the series? The only crucial part of the timeline that was never covered by the games was when Raiden got his cyborg body and saved Sunny from the Patriots, but that fell through with the cancellation of MGS Rising. The only alternative was yet another Big Boss prequel sidegame which adds nothing of value to the timeline.

As much as I want to believe you that he wouldn't be keen to continue milking a franchise that was past its prime, I have my doubts about that. Let's not forget that he had no qualms doing more entries to the Metal Gear series even AFTER claiming the most current one was his last one. Of them, only two of the games he made did he have an actual valid excuse for coming back (Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake was because his team specifically requested for him to return after Snake's Revenge came about, and Metal Gear Solid 4 was because he essentially got death threats from angry fans if he didn't return for MGS4), the others, not so much. And believe me, he had plenty of opportunities to willingly leave the series behind, never to return, even go so far as to specifically hire someone else to take over for Metal Gear, yet he never did. When he did leave, it's because Konami forced him out. Besides, he arguably was very keen to milk the series with MGSV and Peace Walker.

To be fair regarding Big Boss prequel games, Portable Ops did at least reveal, or at least strongly hint that Zero was the guy who founded the Patriots (MGS3 originally implied it was the CIA director who did that), not to mention it did show how FOXHOUND ended up being formed, something that was in fact alluded to in the timeline (all the game did was expand on it), and FOXHOUND was pretty important in the Metal Gear franchise, not only being the focus of the first three games, but the Patriots ended up using a facsimile of the organization to manipulate Raiden into doing the S3 Plan in MGS2. Not to mention him getting the funds from Gene probably was a bit closer to an actual means of starting Outer Heaven than what Peace Walker or MGSV showed (we never really got MSF moving onward, especially when the Outer Heaven base, last I checked, was in South Africa, NOT an oil shore rig in the Caribbean, not to mention we played as a body double for the whole game in the latter, while we don't even see how Big Boss founded Outer Heaven). Under that, it's actually pretty important, and it wasn't even made by Kojima, not directly, at least.

Besides, as Khun pointed out, they made Portable Ops and Rising, which were canonical games that were definitely good. I'm not entirely sure about Metal Gear Solid: Mobile's canonicity (though it probably doesn't matter anyways since the ending had the Patriots pretty much going all MIB on Snake and erasing his memory of the events, meaning even if it were canon, Snake still won't remember it, sort of like the ending to Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 where no one remembered the events of the game.). And while Survive may not have been canon, I actually personally thought the story was pretty good, all things being considered (and personally, I thought Peace Walker and MGSV felt more like cash-ins even if they WERE made by Kojima. Heck, even MGS2 I'd probably call a cash-in considering he mostly made it to one-up his buddies the Wachowski Brothers after their Matrix movie was made, based on what he said in an interview.).

So far as the topic at hand, considering that Kojima since at least Metal Gear Solid 2 up to Ground Zeroes tried to use the series largely as a blame America first bully pulpit (only MGS3 seemed close to promoting America in any way. I'm not counting Portable Ops since that wasn't made by him), not to mention has a massive obsession with constantly retconning his story even when such aren't actually needed, and even trying to promote various hard-left views on people (Peace Walker and its Che Guevara worship comes to mind), I'd rather he never touch Metal Gear again. I'm actually wondering whether the Portsdam Treaty had anything to do with Kojima's beef against America, though. Based on what he said at TGS2009 when explaining Peace Walker, he actually would have welcomed something like the Portsdam Treaty being applied literally everywhere in the world, essentially getting rid of militaries altogether, any soldiers, and effectively putting Immanuel Kant's Perpetual Peace into practice. You can read it here:
wrote:"There's the philosophy of nuclear deterrence," Kojima continued. "America and Russia just kept piling up on their nuclear weapons. And when you have an army, it deters enemies from invading. That's yet another theory of deterrence. Why can't we get rid of nuclear arms and soldiers from the world? I'm sure that everyone's thought about it. And then there's the reality, which I hope players will think about as they're playing Peace Walker. Back then, it was a time when these theories were actually thought to be effective. And now, we're paying the price. We've still got tons of nuclear weapons scattered all over the world."
Yeah, saying Portsdam treaty, where Japan was forced to disarm, doesn't seem like a motive for Kojima to hate America, since if anything, based on what he's talking here, he would if anything thank America for disarming Japan and want America to disarm and the rest of the world, get rid of all its soldiers. In any case, Kojima should be kept far away from the series.