Jassassino
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

August 30th, 2018, 1:34 pm #21

OJ wrote:
wrote:It's cool. What type of British cheese cost you a $20 import tax?
It was Stilton but honestly any good cheese costs an arm and a leg here because it’s all imported. Even a small block of cheddar that would be sub-£2 in Tesco you’re easily paying a fiver for. The only “cheese” that’s available at a reasonable price is processed slices or Philadelphia.
Wow, that's absolutely insane. I used to live off Cheddar and smoked applewood, so forking out that kind of money for such a small amount would be heart-wrenching. Especially if the only alternative would be processed American cheese. :ermm:

Rest in Peace, OS.
[+] Spoiler
DUE TO LIMITS ON SIGNATURES, YOU CAN NOW CHECK OUT MY GALLERY HERE: http://imgur.com/a/72tvf
Diamondsnobs wrote:I'm seriously 100% against autoplays. My kids heard jass' booty song 80 pages back and they haven't stopped.
Dirty Duck wrote:aDN she on the PIL woo!

Webbie
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

August 31st, 2018, 8:35 pm #22

Webbie wrote:People are so full of negativity and so quick to hate everyone and everything nowadays it's fucking maddening.
I may have been describing myself there.

OJ mind if I ask why you don't like Sam Harris? I won't turn it into a conversation or anything. I'm just curious.

OJ
Tengu Commando
Tengu Commando

September 3rd, 2018, 9:48 am #23

Actually I sometimes like Sam Harris. I find his politics far more sympathetic than other he’s associated with. I also like that he doesn’t mind admitting that he’s being political when he actually is being political instead of hiding behind the “I’m a centrist/politically neutral” shit right after saying something blatantly political and abhorrent. Also I acknowledge him in certain ways that I don’t acknowledge Peterson. Harris is basically unknown in the field of neuroscience but he is clearly a super smart guy who I think is capable of producing valuable work in whatever his field actually is (not neuroscience). In short, to compare Harris and Peterson, one is a low-rank public intellectual with some interesting things to say, the other is a nobody PhD who had a personality cult built around him as a result of a few YouTube videos.

There are a few things I don’t like about Harris, and why I can’t think of a situation where I would ever consider myself a follower of his (while in the case of Peterson I find it slightly easier, see my OP).

My big issue with him is his concretism. In other words, he makes used hypotheticals to create arguments out of thin air as if they were based on the material. It’s easy to criticise Islam when the premise is a what-if related to the world, or the US being controlled by Saudi Arabia or Hamas. This is the biggest turn-off for me, because without evidence to the contrary it suggests that he doesn’t have anything intellectually honest to say about the subject. It also ties into his famous “thought experiments”, which are used as an excuse (sometimes retroactively) to say shit he knows is too whack to get away with. “Oh did I something bad? Don’t worry, it was just a thought experiment”. This, along with assertions that some people just don’t understand his work, I think is nonsense. Ultimately you trust the tale, not the teller. Doubly true if the teller contradicts himself instead of defending his work. I’ve got to say that I think he’s basically a pussy.

And I just naturally dislike militant atheists. So as far as his role in that movement is concerned he could follow Richard Dawkins et al into a black hole for all I care.

Webbie
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

September 3rd, 2018, 10:31 pm #24

I hear ya. I don't consider myself a follower of Harris or Peterson. It just weirds me out when I regularly see people online talking about how bad or evil people like Harris or Peterson supposedly are when the world is full of actually bad and evil people like murderers, rapists, pedophiles, etc. Not saying you did that. I just see it everywhere online and the overexaggerations boggle my mind. Like to disagree with someone is to hate someone and think they're evil is how most people seem to operate nowadays. I don't agree with everything either of them say but to call them bad or evil people is just outlandish to me.

Not a big fan of militant atheists either but I think all religion is a joke so I don't really pay much attention to that stuff.