Forum rules
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [center] [img]http://z1.ifrm.com/2/163/0/f5001017/MGS4header.png [/img]
[/center]
solidsnoop29
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

January 13th, 2018, 9:07 am #641

I enjoyed MGS4. Even if it was just about nanomachines, it was really enjoyable. I think when you play it again after a few years, you start to appreciate it more.
It's the presentation of the game which was really well done.

"This world will become one - I have found the way. Race, Tribal affiliations, National borders. Even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that The Boss envisioned will finally become a reality. And it will make mankind whole again...".

V HAS COME TO

Meme x Gene X Scene

Ef9 o shea
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

January 15th, 2018, 6:07 pm #642

It was a good game , just lacking those extras to make it really special

The Departed
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

January 15th, 2018, 11:42 pm #643

Way I see it, MGS4 was perfectly fine when it came out.

It's on replays that the game crumbles. Because it isn't just that the later acts don't live up to the first two. It's that the game stops being fun after a while, at least it did for me. I legit don't enjoy acts 3 or 5 and to me, act 4's just a pretty sight seeing tour with one great boss in Wolf, and two meh bosses with novelty gimmick power.

I think how much a person likes 4 depends on their thoughts on the gimmicks. If people like linear action, gimmicky fights with mechanics unrelated to the game, and don't mind rail shooters or the tailing mission, I can get why they enjoy MGS4 despite its length relative to cutscene amount.

I don't, is the thing, so upon replaying MGS4, I enjoy those first two hours and that's it for me and MGS4. Even then, I don't even like that Frog fight in act 1. I preferred the cabin fight in act 2. I never like when there's just endless respawns.

Like if every act of the game had the same consistency and thought as act 2, with its better level design and fully realized battlefield sneaking, I'd probably sing this games' praises even today.
Dirty Duck wrote:Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(
[+] Spoiler
r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Ef9 o shea
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

January 17th, 2018, 1:48 pm #644

If ut had human enemies in act 4 and the whole of shadow moses was accesible it would have been amazing

Act 3 and 5 are just terrible minus the ocelot fight

Galactus123
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Galactus123
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

June 12th, 2018, 8:16 pm #645

MGS4 was released 10 years ago today on June 12, 2008. I'm playing the game for the first time now. I just finished Act 3 today and I really like it. The game is amazing. I like it more than MGSV.
#AHideoKojimaGame

Doakes
MGSF Philosopher
MGSF Philosopher

June 17th, 2018, 12:30 am #646

Coincidentally, I'm around the Act 3 part of a ten year review and analysis of MGS4. I think I have a SLIGHTLY different perspective on the game than you, but after replaying it, I realized that I don't DISLIKE the game as much as I thought I did.

The Departed
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 21st, 2018, 5:51 pm #647

Ten years later and this game is still a resounding 'meh,' far as I'm concerned, whose best moments are the first two acts.

Time isn't gonna suddenly make me love boring rail shooters, boring-er tailing missions or boring-est expository cutscenes.
Dirty Duck wrote:Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(
[+] Spoiler
r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Galactus123
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Galactus123
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

July 3rd, 2018, 9:26 pm #648

I finished the game today and it was awesome. Spoilers! The fight against Ocelot was epic. Sad that Cam Clarke wasn't in the game like he was in MGS2. It was odd to see Snake talk to Ocelot like he was Liquid. It didn't make sense. Did they get Liquid's voice actor for the japaniese version? Rex vs Ray battle was also great. Sad that Ray wasn't used more in the game. Boss fights were fun but the characters weren't very good. They were forgettable. My favorite boss fight was Crying Wolf. I heard many complain about long cutscenes but they didn't feel that long in my opinion. Not even the last cutscene. I enjoyed them.
#AHideoKojimaGame

Doakes
MGSF Philosopher
MGSF Philosopher

August 5th, 2018, 6:36 pm #649

Galactus123 wrote:I heard many complain about long cutscenes but they didn't feel that long in my opinion. Not even the last cutscene. I enjoyed them.
I know this is a month old, but in working on my MGS4 review, this coincides with my second biggest issue, besides the lack of gameplay. Cutscenes being long isn't the problem. The problem is repetition and redundancy. There's a lot of scenes that could be cut down by well over half. So many scenes feel like taking 10 minutes to tell a 3 minute story, dragged out with pho-philosophical hogwash, and a lot of repeating of the same points, and in several instances, explaining stuff we're already going to see, and thus, don't need to have spelled out for us.

The golden rule of writing is, "Show, don't Tell." We didn't need a briefing scene of Campbell letting us know Liquid Ocelot was in the Middle East. And we didn't need Rat Patrol droning on about it either during their meeting. Instead of telling us straight away, the game could've benefited from just letting intrigue do its' job, where Snake, Otacon and the others all know why they're there, and don't need to elaborate for OUR sake. That way, the question of, "why is Snake in the Middle East?" could've been left as a mystery, and the answer could've just instead revealed itself when Snake reached the camp with the intention of assassinating Ocelot. That's time we don't need to be spending having all this stuff spelled out ad nauseum because the information is still going to be made clear. Anything less is just redundant and unnecessary, and that's a LOT of MGS4's cutscenes. How many scenes do we need of characters spelling out that the System is bad because of all these pretty self evident reasons?

Realistically, a number of scenes that could've been cut ENTIRELY, and the pacing of MGS4 would've benefited greatly for it. Not only that, but producing cutscenes is not cheap. In fact, one could argue that cutting down some of the more action-packed cutscenes could've actually resulted in more gameplay, because that's money that could've otherwise be spent on level design.

A textbook example would be the Meryl & Akiba scene. That entire subplot never gets enough screentime for any sort of payoff to feel genuinely earned. So whatever story implications it has are ultimately superfluous. And I'll be frank, I SINCERELY doubt many who played MGS4 honestly cared all that much if Meryl and Akiba hooked up or not.

So then, which would most of us prefer? Watching Meryl & Akiba Mr. & Mrs. Smith it up with some cringe-inducing dialogue interwoven along for the ride? Or a Haven that isn't rushed with just ONE corridor of sneaking throughout the entire final act of this stealth action game?

I won't get into the ending with Big Boss, because that's a whole other conversation I simply I can't have. :P