Forum rules
Regarding "What are you listening to?" Just a polite reminder that you aren't allowed to post more than 5 times per day in that thread. It is to be used as a place to share your musical tastes. It is not a place to rack up easy posts. Don't be that guy.

Kendrick Lamar is a Douche Canoe

Webbie
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 12th, 2018, 6:50 pm #1

Anyone interested in talking about this? Because I am.

In case you haven't already heard and don't feel like watching the video, basically what happened is Kendrick Lamar invited a white girl on stage to rap some of his music (knowing that every other word in the chorus is "nigga"). So she gets up, says "nigga" a couple times, and he shuts her down. What's funnier is the crowd starts booing, but then they're all singing it too, and they're mostly all white people.

Thoughts? I gotta go to work now but I'll be back.

sadistic_greyfox
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 13th, 2018, 6:34 am #2

I'll be honest I think he fucking set her up. I won't say I don't listen to his music but how the fuck are you gonna single her out like that knowing your lyrics you made. he should have publicly addressed this to the crowd if he didn't want the audience to say that word and not just pick one girl.

Missing you more with each day, Joe (OS.)
[+] Spoiler
[rotate]
Curtesy of Dying Sheleng[rotate]
[rotate][rotate][/center]

Webbie
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 13th, 2018, 1:56 pm #3

I'm glad someone with a level head said exactly what I was thinking: felt like Kendrick just set her up. I lmao'd pretty hard when the crowd booed her for exactly what they were doing themselves.

Cringeworthy, but in a delightful way.

The Baneposter
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 13th, 2018, 1:58 pm #4

on one hand, he set her up.

on the other hand white people crying about their inability to use the n-word is always so SO delightful
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler
Rooster wrote:Some say he doesn't understand the concept of stairs, others say he thinks Google is the French word for potato. All we know is he's our tamed speed poster, he's called Aragorn.
Octavious Wrex wrote: but my mom was a psychopath. She is a really cool person
Strangelove wrote:See, I don't mean to stereotype, but when it comes to opinions, you my friend, are god-like.
[+] Spoiler
[+] Spoiler

Webbie
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 13th, 2018, 2:00 pm #5

The fact you think that's what this whole thing is about is what makes you Aragorn.

Unfortunately you're not delightful in the least.

Brera
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Brera
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

June 13th, 2018, 2:38 pm #6

This whole nigga thing is the most ridiculous thing in the world. If black people get offended by it, they should stop using the word themselves too. You can't allow one group of people to use a certain word and ban another group from using it. Either eveyone uses it, or no one does. It gets even more stupid when black people allow certain Hispanic or Latino people to use it, cause they are a minority too. Gtfo with that bs.

Also, wouldn't it be racist to single out a group of people by banning them from using a word deu to their skin color?
[+] Spoiler
Thanks to my dag V
[+] Spoiler

Jassassino
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 13th, 2018, 3:21 pm #7

Brera wrote:This whole nigga thing is the most ridiculous thing in the world. If black people get offended by it, they should stop using the word themselves too. You can't allow one group of people to use a certain word and ban another group from using it. Either eveyone uses it, or no one does. It gets even more stupid when black people allow certain Hispanic or Latino people to use it, cause they are a minority too. Gtfo with that bs.
It being used by the people it was originally used against as a systematic tool of oppression in order to regain their identity makes sense and I think they're entitled to use it. Many black American families still have cultural memories and ideas of what their ancestors faced, so if coming to terms and normalizing a word within their own community allows them to become more comfortable with what they previously faced, allow them to use it. It's not like using any other word, it's massively unique and should be recognised as such.

As for the girl rapping on stage, she was dumb to say it (should have expected a very negative response from people online if not from Lamar himself) but I do think she's being unfairly penalised.

Rest in Peace, OS.
[+] Spoiler
DUE TO LIMITS ON SIGNATURES, YOU CAN NOW CHECK OUT MY GALLERY HERE: http://imgur.com/a/72tvf
Diamondsnobs wrote:I'm seriously 100% against autoplays. My kids heard jass' booty song 80 pages back and they haven't stopped.
Dirty Duck wrote:aDN she on the PIL woo!

sadistic_greyfox
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 13th, 2018, 10:55 pm #8

I heard she had a few drinks in her too so it made the situation even worse. All i'm saying is you HAVE o be conscious of your audience. Nas as an example. In an all white room he'll do his radio edit of "nigga" or switch it to brother or something. Lamaar, if he was truly uncomfortable with the use of nigga by his white fans should have made this known or at least choose another fucking song. The thing is too i mean she obviously aint a racist if she's at a fucking lamar concert so why boo her? Publicity stuny, maybe, I just don't like how it was addressed.

Missing you more with each day, Joe (OS.)
[+] Spoiler
[rotate]
Curtesy of Dying Sheleng[rotate]
[rotate][rotate][/center]

Webbie
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

June 14th, 2018, 1:05 am #9

[+] Spoiler
Firstly, I love how Aragorn said "n-word." Get a backbone, brother. Ollie will tell you the same thing, and yes I brought up Ollie because he's black (but he's also a reasonable, rational grown up who would likely tell you to do exactly what I just did). It's a fucking word, and none of us are using it to be racist assholes. We're having a discussion about a topic that happens to involve the word nigga. WTF are you worried about?

Jassassino wrote:It being used by the people it was originally used against as a systematic tool of oppression in order to regain their identity makes sense and I think they're entitled to use it.

I love ya Jassassino , but holy fuck, what a load of drivel. How is using the word nigga helping black people regain their identity? A lot of popular (and, more importantly, successful) black people will tell you they don't think blacks should be using the word at all for the very same reason whites shouldn't be using it, as well as it just being a silly fucking word to use on each other in the first place (Morgan Freeman or Samuel L. Jackson was famous for saying this but my memory sucks so I can't remember which; it may have been both). I dunno, confusing the two of them probably makes me racist somehow by a lot of people's standards in today's society. But there's many other black people who say the same thing. The whole idea of it somehow helping people regain their identity is just nonsense. We need to stop pretending that the average black person is being held back so much today. It simply isn't the truth. In some areas and in some specific cases ABSOLUTELY, and no of course it isn't right, but the large majority of black people, at least here in America, are not being held back by their race anymore. People act as if they have it so much harder than white people, as if this whole "white privilege" concept is a real thing for every white person alive today. Bull-motherfucking-shit. Life is hard for EVERYONE. Nobody earns anything worth having without going through a lot. That's just life. I'm a white male in America and I don't have much but I've worked hard to earn everything I have today and that's how it should be for everyone. I didn't get no fucking hand outs at any point in my life.

If MLK were still alive today I have a hard time believing he'd feel like he needed to keep up with all the marches and non-violent protests. I truly believe he'd be disgusted by groups like Black Lives Matter, especially based on the way he felt about types like Stokely Carmichael who thought violence was the way to go at the time. If he's half as cool as he seems he'd probably start telling the average black person to grow the fuck up and stop playing the victim card their whole life if they ever want to have a life worth living. And maybe I'm completely wrong and maybe it's wrong for me to speculate at all, but boy times have changed for the better in a great way and everyone just continues to act as if people are still being so held back by their race.

For sure there's still racism (as if there isn't racism towards white people as well), and for sure it's wrong. But all in all things are pretty damn good for everyone now. Sure life is hard and there's plenty of adversity to deal with, but that's for everyone. You can't have a life without adversity. What's that saying... the same boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg; it's not your circumstances, but what you're made of. A black person can do just as well as a white person. It all depends on what kind of effort you put in and how far you're willing to go to get what you want in life.

But at least you acknowledge that it's ridiculous how the crowd reacted and that's why you're cool asf. Seriously, I know it probably sounds like I'm attacking you with all my cussing, but I'm just in a highly animated mood and like throwing in words. I actually like Aragorn, too. I just have to word things the way I do because that's who I am. But I ain't mad at either of ya. Just tryna figure out why you guys and so many others still have this feeling of "weeeelllllllllll whatever helps them feel equal to everyone else" as if they've still got it so much harder than everyone else. They don't. It's simply not true. Just like the whole wage gape between genders myth, but we probably ought to leave that one alone.

It also annoys me when I mention I have black family who all think the victim attitude is ridiculous, but then people say "okay so you know black people that agree with you, that's cute, means nothing." Actually what it means is they're mature, responsible people who understand hard work is what got them where they are today. They can't stand blacks playing the victim card because it makes hard working adults like themselves look bad, at least that's how they view it. And yes, they are my family. Stepmother, two brothers, sister, 2 nieces and a nephew, who all know I say these things because they see me doing it on Facebook all the time and THEY FUCKING LOVE ME! It's about having the right attitude.

Let's not get this topic locked or anything. This can be a fun discussion. I'm not trying to be a dick at all really. Just tryna keep it light and loose so we don't all get at each other's throats. But I promise you can say whatever you want to me and I won't turn it into a flame war.

And ye I prolly said some silly shit because I'm tryna type this all up on the spot as quickly as possible because I'm working. Also it appears maybe I've been looking for a place to vent some of these thoughts and here I am. So tear me up. I'm welcome to explanations as to why I'm so ignorant and all that. Just fill me in.

I promise I'm being a nice guy, though. I ain't mad at any of ya despite how it may appear. I apologize if I'm the one coming across as the douche canoe now, and yes that's my new favorite nickname for anyone that annoys me.
But yeah, I'd say she was doing more than just drinking alcohol. She was clearly fucked up. Would I have said the word in her situation? Probably not, but I don't blame her for doing it. I also don't think Kendrick was overly dickish to her about it. I just found the whole situation very odd, especially the crowd reaction.

Brera
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Brera
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

June 14th, 2018, 7:04 am #10

The whole thing is just ridiculous and that video gets worse every time you watch it. It just proves what's wrong with the world today. I also lost all my respect for Lamar. The girl just sang the lyrics of the fucking song. She sang it exactly as Kendrick has written it. That's how Kendrick himself has intended the song to go, word for word and all she did was perform the song exactly how he had meant it to be, so what the fuck did he expect?

So what's next? Rappers releasing songs along with a skincolor swatch, to determine if a fan is black enough to sing the actual words of the song along? Fuck outta here.
[+] Spoiler
Thanks to my dag V
[+] Spoiler