Forum rules
Metal Gear Solid [center] [img]http://z1.ifrm.com/2/163/0/f5001021/mgsheader.png [/img] [/center]

I've come around on the Rex Boss Fight

The Departed
MGSF Patriot
MGSF Patriot

August 21st, 2018, 2:24 am #1

I've always hated the boss fight against Rex. I always thought it was frustrating, tedious and repetitive garbage. Just running around, tossing chaffs, shooting stingers, rinse and repeat, got old fucking fast. Until yesterday, this was how I always played the Rex fight.

And I hate gimmicky boss fights that use gimmicks which are isolated exclusively for that fight and nothing else, especially if I'm not having fun with the fight itself. I don't like things feeling formulaic, like I have to follow one very laser precise pattern or else face a lot of frustration. And for literally almost twenty years, I always thought that was the only way to fight Rex.

Well, I got some gameplay tips which I decided to put those tips to use.

Aaaaand wouldn't'cha know it, I was dead-on-ballz wrong, because this is how the fight went:

tl;dr version: What I learned is not only do I have options for taking down Rex, but yes, it actually does incorporate stealth in a non-accidental way. You can actually be really stealthy during this fight, using chaffs and stun grenades to shake Rex and Liquid off long enough to take cover and as I've always hoped, you can attack Rex when it doesn't know where you are.

The end result? The fight was a lot longer, but I was mostly enjoying every minute of it. It still has issues. Like the fact that the stinger can only aim so high, and isn't always reliable in locking on. When you're under Rex, you're kinda flying blind sometimes, especially if it's moving. And good fucking luck using the PSG-1 because you can't reach Liquid for shit lol.

Yet, in spite of that, I have a legit newfound appreciation for this particular boss fight. It went from literally one of my least favorite bosses in all of MGS to my second favorite boss fight in MGS1, and my second favorite Metal Gear Mech fight in the series after both of Sally's fights in V.

I'm a big fan of the bosses that incorporate stealth, and while I still think Raven did it better, Rex incorporates stealth in a way that feels distinct and makes the whole affair a lot of fun. And just like Raven, it's a boss fight that's somehow enjoyable despite being twenty years old. Like I actually like this fight now even more than Mantits and until an hour ago, that sentence would've never come out of my mouth unless it was ironic.

I'll probably still never like MGS1 and always prefer TTS simply because there's too much bullshit in MGS1 I can't enjoy no matter how many times I've played it. (And no, it's not a "this game is 20 years old" thing. It's a basic design thing. A game being old doesn't mean it needed to be padded out with an hours worth of backtracking and unintuitive action)

But I'm finding out that there's more to MGS1 that I like than I initially gave it credit for. And Rex's boss fight is right up there. It's not a dogshit fight like I've thought since I was 13 years old. It's actually a really good fight and I wish more bosses in MGS1 incorporated their own version of stealth action the way Rex an Raven did.

Now if anyone has tips to help me learn to not hate backtracking, we're in business lol.
Dirty Duck wrote:Duck as sake no bidibgeybfbfhailhydradrinkn:(
[+] Spoiler
r.i.p. to the coolest dude we'll ever know :gary:

Galactus123
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Galactus123
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

August 21st, 2018, 1:43 pm #2

It has always been one of my favorite boss battles and I have never found it hard. The second part is easy and you can defeat it without taking any damage. Just hide under Rex and shoot it from there when it stops moving.
#AHideoKojimaGame

Psajdak
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
Psajdak
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

August 21st, 2018, 7:54 pm #3

I kind of always thought hiding beneath Rex was one of things of that boss battle, what made that hiding spot special.

Don't remember ever hiding behind those pillars, actually...
Validated after 4 years.

tonic
Heavily-Armed Trooper
Heavily-Armed Trooper
tonic
Heavily-Armed Trooper
Heavily-Armed Trooper

August 26th, 2018, 1:34 am #4

Question? Why is the stinger lock on still working when chaff is supposed to disable electronics! ?
Are you a MGS Guru?
Do you want to test your MGS IQ?
Well then check out my MGS Series Riddles:
http://mgsforums.com/topic/7725582/3/