Forum rules
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops [center] [img]http://z1.ifrm.com/2/163/0/f5001023/MGSPortOpsheader.png [/img] [/center]
gpack418
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

January 31st, 2016, 7:02 pm #41

I loved PO. Didn't have access to it on the PSP so I downloaded an emulator just to get it and now I play it at work. So worth it!

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

January 7th, 2018, 11:40 pm #42

Definitely liked it better than Peace Walker or MGSV in terms of story and characters. Especially Peace Walker. Say what you will about Portable Ops, at least it doesn't have the characters going OOC by singing praises to a mass-murdering terrorist like some schoolgirls.

And quite frankly, I'd say it's still canon. After all, the MGS4 trophy edition didn't remove the MPO references (and believe me, Kojima could omit them and even have dialogue rewritten just to ensure all traces of MPO were erased if he so desired).

Doakes
MGSF Philosopher
MGSF Philosopher

January 8th, 2018, 3:26 am #43

I like the IDEA of Portable Ops' story. I dislike its' execution, however. MPO needed to be longer for me to actually like it, because without the necessary time, things move too fast for any beat to hold any emotional weight whatsoever. If it wasn't a Portable game, and treated like an actual sequel to MGS3, on console for PS2, given better boss battles, stronger gameplay, and more screentime for characters to feel genuinely fleshed out and not so wooden, Portable Ops would be the strongest MGS narrative by a WIDE margin.

As is, it simply has the beats of a strong story, without the actual flow in between to be a strong story.

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

January 8th, 2018, 11:06 am #44

Doakes wrote:I like the IDEA of Portable Ops' story. I dislike its' execution, however. MPO needed to be longer for me to actually like it, because without the necessary time, things move too fast for any beat to hold any emotional weight whatsoever. If it wasn't a Portable game, and treated like an actual sequel to MGS3, on console for PS2, given better boss battles, stronger gameplay, and more screentime for characters to feel genuinely fleshed out and not so wooden, Portable Ops would be the strongest MGS narrative by a WIDE margin.

As is, it simply has the beats of a strong story, without the actual flow in between to be a strong story.
Like I said, it's still got a much better story than Peace Walker does, which lacks not only a good story at all, but even the beats for one.

Doakes
MGSF Philosopher
MGSF Philosopher

January 8th, 2018, 3:23 pm #45

To each their own, I suppose. Different people will have different appreciations for what each game brings.

solidsnoop29
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

January 11th, 2018, 5:01 am #46

Story was good. If it had the music and direction of Peacewalker it would have been perfect...in my opinion.

"This world will become one - I have found the way. Race, Tribal affiliations, National borders. Even our faces will be irrelevant. The world that The Boss envisioned will finally become a reality. And it will make mankind whole again...".

V HAS COME TO

Meme x Gene X Scene

Example
Jail Guard
Jail Guard

January 16th, 2018, 10:56 am #47

The story seemed pretty interesting from what I've played, although Sokolov surviving felt unnecessary.

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

January 16th, 2018, 11:11 am #48

Example wrote:The story seemed pretty interesting from what I've played, although Sokolov surviving felt unnecessary.
Wouldn't be the first time a character believed to be dead turned out to have survived. Don't forget, Gray Fox and Kyle Schneider "died" in MG2 and MG1, respectively, yet managed to come back in MGS and MG2, respectively. And don't get me started on Big Boss returning in MG2 (well, before MGSV introduced that rather pointless retcon).

CIN
Light Infantry
Light Infantry
CIN
Light Infantry
Light Infantry

June 9th, 2018, 1:57 am #49

I really enjoyed Portable Ops' narrative. My only issue was Sokolov randomly being alive for some reason, but it's a minor detail.

Also, "Calling to the Night" is an all-timer.