Forum rules
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker [center] [img]http://z1.ifrm.com/2/163/0/f5020788/pw1.jpg [/img] [/center]

Can anyone identify who the Russian Commandos were supposed to be?

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

May 27th, 2018, 3:56 pm #1

Hi.

I have a bit of a question regarding some enemy types in Peace Walker.

Can someone tell me who the Russian Commando enemy types were supposed to be based on in terms of real life Soviet soldiers?

The only reason I'm asking is because their uniforms were similar to one of the Red Ribbon Army characters in Dragon Ball, particularly the human soldier in the human/canid duo in General White's unit, and those guys were definitely based on the Soviets.

DiamondDougs
Jail Guard
Jail Guard
DiamondDougs
Jail Guard
Jail Guard

June 1st, 2018, 4:32 am #2

They're supposed to be KGB, but really they're just an amalgamation of Soviet, GRU and Russian Federation army styles.

Even though Soviet troops back in the 70s looked much more like this...

One of my gripes with MGS series is that they don't go for as much accuracy in the costume department as they do with weapons. Still, they look badass

Snake turned the polished brass knob and slid the door open with a loud creak. He was hit with a revolting stench of alcohol, ash and sweat and the site of a destroyed office, with smashed decorations, upturned furniture and torn papers. Emerging from the desk was an absolute wreck of a man, with a shimmer of liquid dripping from his crusted lips. His eyes were red and out of focus, his hair in random, whispy knots. His three piece suit was stained with streaks of water and his vest buttoned in the wrong places. His tie was undone, thrown over his neck like a noose in the gallows.

Did you know I'm novelising Snake Eater? Check out my progress here.

Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier
Weedle_McHairybug
Hi-Tech Soldier
Hi-Tech Soldier

June 1st, 2018, 5:08 pm #3

DiamondDougs wrote:They're supposed to be KGB, but really they're just an amalgamation of Soviet, GRU and Russian Federation army styles.

Even though Soviet troops back in the 70s looked much more like this...

One of my gripes with MGS series is that they don't go for as much accuracy in the costume department as they do with weapons. Still, they look badass
So, in other words, Kojima and the others really screwed up regarding the uniforms in terms of a real life basis?

Well, I guess my only other question is: What exactly was that guy's uniform supposed to be based on in Dragon Ball? Since I kind of need that information for the Dragon Ball Wiki.