suzukitom
Elite Member

September 8th, 2018, 3:57 am #21

front half section of passenger frame horn exterior

top side of front half showing vent hole(s)

inside view of front half of frame horn showing rust pattern and sheet metal seam at mid point.

back section of frame horn before making vertical cut flush to firewall. rust pattern continues along bottom of horn around control arm welded in nut.

after horn cut off flush, here is view inside firewall towards the rear lower control arm bushing mount welded in nuts.. more rust along bottom of channel.

And finally an overall shot showing internally rusted frame horn removal leaving the intact section of passenger side metal.

if a drain is added it would need to be at the lowest point. but probably leaving it all sealed up and full of thick Fluid film sprayed in through the upper frame horn vent holes shown in the second photo will help displace moisture and keep metal from rusting.
Last edited by suzukitom on September 8th, 2018, 4:11 am, edited 9 times in total.

wizard93
Elite Member

September 8th, 2018, 4:13 am #22

Great pics, suzukitom.

So, it appears there is a double-cavity where the front control arm bolts come up through the bottom. If one were to drill drain holes, they would have to drill deep enough to penetrate both cavities.

I'd still like to see someone pull off a frame horn re-fab using square tubing.

suzukitom
Elite Member

September 8th, 2018, 4:33 am #23

wizard93 wrote:Great pics, suzukitom.

So, it appears there is a double-cavity where the front control arm bolts come up through the bottom. If one were to drill drain holes, they would have to drill deep enough to penetrate both cavities.

I'd still like to see someone pull off a frame horn re-fab using square tubing.
for reasons known only to Suzuki and GM, the double walled sheetmetal horizontal layers between the 2 welded in nuts for the front control arm bracket.. has a air gap in the two or so inches of metal between the nut centers and just sandwiched layers elsewhere. I guess the bends were intended to make the welded in nuts stronger. that whole lower frame horn needs to be bathed in anti-rust film that repels water and never dries out. I figure the factory welding process burned off any primer or coatings that might have been there initially.
Last edited by suzukitom on September 8th, 2018, 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

wizard93
Elite Member

September 9th, 2018, 1:30 am #24

Just realized that I didn't number the rods before removing them. :shit :shit :shit

I always want to keep the same rods on the same journals. Crap, can't believe I forgot to do that.

Not sure if it would make much difference, as long as everything is in spec on the rod side clearances, etc. You'd have thought I never rebuilt an engine before. :banghead

Anybody ever run into a problem with not putting the rods back in the same order?

I'm installing new pistons on the rods before I re-install them.
Last edited by wizard93 on September 9th, 2018, 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

suzukitom
Elite Member

September 9th, 2018, 1:46 am #25

Do you feel lucky?

there are 6 ways for 3 items to go back in the same order.. but if the clearances were checked and in spec it should be okay.

Last edited by suzukitom on September 9th, 2018, 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

wizard93
Elite Member

September 9th, 2018, 2:20 am #26

I'll just check the clearances on the rods when I test-fit them to the journals, then match the new pistons to the cylinders, then put those rods & pistons together. And make sure I label them at that time. I have a scale I might use to weigh the rods and pistons and weight-match them.

wizard93
Elite Member

September 14th, 2018, 1:57 am #27

Whew!  I was afraid my project thread disappeared.  It's nowhere to be found on the metroxfi forum.  :/

GeoZone
Elite Member

September 14th, 2018, 11:40 pm #28

What's the metroxfiforum?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

UncleBranton
Elite Member

September 14th, 2018, 11:53 pm #29

I hope you got that. forgot that's private info. not sure it was meant to be on this site I think

GeoZone
Elite Member

September 15th, 2018, 12:24 am #30

Uh, what?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk