Vented Disc on a Hatchback

Thart10
Elite Member

September 12th, 2018, 5:53 am #1

Looking a Rock Auto Specs for Front Rotors on a 90 Metro Hatchback, I see Solid Rotors listed at .391 in and Vented Rotors listed at .67 in.
Some of them show Bolt circles of 4.5 in while others show 4.105 in.
One Rotor shows it will fit both Convertible & Hatchback from 89-97.

Can I use the Wider, Vented Rotor on my Hatchback, without changing the Calipers, or am I looking at rotors for the Performance Package?

suzukitom
Elite Member

September 12th, 2018, 6:44 am #2

solid rotor brakes have specific brake calipers and the hub is attached using 4 bolts onto the rotor.

vented rotors for non gti cars are standard on sedans and convertibles using 13 inch wheels and have disk rotors that slip onto the separate hub. also different calipers than those used on the solid rotor brake cars.

rockauto description of bolt circle is misleading. probable refers to the size of the hub opening in a solid rotor.

the stud bolt circle are 4.5 inches on center for all Metros regardless of brake rotor type.

some folks upgrade their solid rotor brake hatchback cars to 'big brakes' referring to the ventilated rotors and bigger calipers. it will require the knuckles to be changed too as the caliper mounts are different.

visit a wreckers to look at 90-94 vert or sedan brakes or 95+ Metros which all have the bigger brakes.
Last edited by suzukitom on September 12th, 2018, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thart10
Elite Member

September 13th, 2018, 6:08 am #3

Thanks for jogging my memory. Been looking at Brake options since my 87 Turbo Sprint, about 10 years ago.