SMCC Economy Run - Montreal 6/9/12

blownb310
New Member
Joined: July 2nd, 2009, 3:04 pm

April 1st, 2012, 4:26 am #1



Click on the flyer for full event info.

Saturday, June 9th, 2012.

A fuel economy rally on fun to drive roads. The goal is to stay on time while minimising fuel consumption. There will be several elapsed time controls at which you may arrive early without penalty. Controls may only be located at the end of a section (EOS). Penalties will be accorded based on fuel consumption and lateness. There will equally be penalties for leaving a control before the given out-time. No previous experience is required to participate. 100% asphalt. Any car can complete the event without problems. The route is identical to 2010 allowing comparisons with previous results.



Distance : 198km

Classes : Gasoline, Diesel & Hybrid(e)

FIA affiliated rally club members : $30
Otherwise : $40


2011


2010

I'm planning on competing in my white '97 Metro at this event. Hope to see a few you there!

Mike



Quote
Like
Share

nerys
Elite Member
Joined: September 26th, 2009, 3:50 am

April 1st, 2012, 3:55 pm #2

Hmmm 15 hours driving and 20 gallons of gasoline so about $150 to attend hurts a little. not sure if I can make that one but its close enough to make me "think" about it. I assume we now need a passport to get to canada from the US any longer?
Last edited by nerys on April 1st, 2012, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share

blownb310
New Member
Joined: July 2nd, 2009, 3:04 pm

April 2nd, 2012, 2:15 am #3

nerys wrote:Hmmm 15 hours driving and 20 gallons of gasoline so about $150 to attend hurts a little. not sure if I can make that one but its close enough to make me "think" about it. I assume we now need a passport to get to canada from the US any longer?
Yes that is correct. I plan to run with my '97 Metro. It's my first Metro. I've been a Nissan/Datsun guy my whole life.

This is a great event and the odds are against me for winning a third straight year, but you never know!

Mike
Quote
Like
Share

blownb310
New Member
Joined: July 2nd, 2009, 3:04 pm

May 27th, 2012, 1:45 am #4

I told myself not to buy any more cars that are rusted out. It's just not worth the effort to fix them. That was the plan...... until the phone rang. It was a friend letting me know of a 3 cylinder '97 Metro for sale and with this Economy Run event coming up, I could not resist the opportunity to own one of these. The prior owner kindly left a note in the car listing all of the problems that needed attention. At the end of the note he said that they called the car "Fred".





I brought Fred home and put him in the air to take a look. OMG, what was I thinking? :p



I came very close to taking Fred to the scrap yard several times, but because it ran perfectly, had a full new exhaust system and brakes all around, I started sorting it out one problem at a time.



The rust extended beyond the rocker panel and into the floor board as well. I had to lift up the carpet and wiring harnes inside to keep from melting them while welding.



So I got to work with cutting out and shaping new rocker/floor patch panels.



I didn't have a piece of sheet metal 36" long so I had to make it a two piece repair panel.



Ready to grind down and smooth out for paint.



Underside of floorboard.



The fuel tank also leaked when it was filled up. Neglecting this repair was not an option because of the top ups used to check how much fuel was used at Economy Run events. Used ones were simply not available from yards around here. So I ordered a new tank for $256 [which more than doubled my investment in this car.]

I also scrubbed out the filthy interior, replaced some bad rear wheel bearings, replaced the missing audio system, unseized the tight shifter bushing, repaired the blower fan switch, and repainted the used green hood to white. It's not quite ready yet but I'm getting there.



The new fuel tank is in, and my '97 Metro is nearing completion for next weekend's SMCC Economy Run in Montreal.

Last edited by blownb310 on May 27th, 2012, 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Quote
Like
Share

clarkdw
Elite Member
Joined: July 6th, 2011, 3:09 am

May 27th, 2012, 2:22 am #5

Looks like a real blast. I wish it were feasible for me to make the trip from London, ON.

If you have time, add a deep front airdam and ditch the passengers mirror. My 94 is at 3.77 L/100 tank average with those and a few other mods. At 70+mph highway speed it is at 4.00 L/100 tank avg.

The 97 is a bit heavier but should still kick some butt.

Good luck but mostly enjoy! :thumb




Quote
Like
Share

blownb310
New Member
Joined: July 2nd, 2009, 3:04 pm

June 3rd, 2012, 1:48 pm #6

clarkdw wrote:Looks like a real blast. I wish it were feasible for me to make the trip from London, ON.

If you have time, add a deep front airdam and ditch the passengers mirror. My 94 is at 3.77 L/100 tank average with those and a few other mods. At 70+mph highway speed it is at 4.00 L/100 tank avg.

The 97 is a bit heavier but should still kick some butt.

Good luck but mostly enjoy! :thumb
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have in fact deleted my passenger side mirror and fabricated a blank off plate. I'm not sure if I will have the time to add an air dam because I have been rehabilitating the car. Updates from this week:

Here's what my frame horns looked like before I peeled back the undercoating.



...and after a bit more poking.....




This is a view from the back side of that same frame horn. Look how little metal was left supporting the lower control arm!


Patterns were cut from card stock [cereal boxes] and transferred to new steel.


After lots of grinding and no less than 6 hand cut pieces of steel were fitted and welded in.


Just before smoothing and priming.

Today I'm sanding bondo and might possibly have time to buff out what's left of the white paint.
Quote
Like
Share

bogs
Elite Member
Joined: October 6th, 2009, 4:57 am

June 3rd, 2012, 3:38 pm #7

WOW there was nothing left !

Red Green "Sound ingenious? Sound incredible?? Sound impossible??? Who cares!! I'm not listening :rasp "
. Mans Toolbox - You only need 2 tools, WD40 is for when it doesn't move but should, and Duct tape is for when it shouldn't move but does :rofl
When I'm not here, I'm taking up space on the net or planning to keep track of something :hmm
Quote
Like
Share

blownb310
New Member
Joined: July 2nd, 2009, 3:04 pm

June 3rd, 2012, 4:51 pm #8

bogs wrote:WOW there was nothing left !
Yeah I wish I was spending my time ecomodding the car, but I was worried about the front suspension collapsing on the rougher sections of the rally, and I rather think it would have! I don't feel like taking the train home.

Competition in the gas class will be very tough this year. Darin Cosgrove will be entering his 2000 Honda Insight in the gasoline class.



Huh you say? Why is it not in the hybrid class? It is because he bought the car cheaply with a bad hybrid battery. All of the hybrid functions have been disabled so the car is a very efficient gas class car with it's lean burn engine, light curb weight, and superior aerodynamics. Darin has achieved 85 mpg with it. This rally is challenging though, and top mpg numbers are not achievable when you're rushing up steep hills to stay on time.

It will be intereresting!

Mike
Quote
Like
Share

jjohns8181
New Member
Joined: May 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm

June 4th, 2012, 11:53 am #9

Excellent Mine looks alot worse I have no bottom horm I have to create an L and anchor over across the steering,,, thanks for the info.... off to Tractor Supply and cutouts will be my frined my WIFE thinks I am NUTS but she just doenst understand GEO. I had a Datsun 1970 pickup it was my loyal friend until the tranny went....
Quote
Like
Share

bogs
Elite Member
Joined: October 6th, 2009, 4:57 am

June 4th, 2012, 4:45 pm #10

blownb310 wrote:
bogs wrote:WOW there was nothing left !
Yeah I wish I was spending my time ecomodding the car, but I was worried about the front suspension collapsing on the rougher sections of the rally, and I rather think it would have! I don't feel like taking the train home.

Competition in the gas class will be very tough this year. Darin Cosgrove will be entering his 2000 Honda Insight in the gasoline class.

Huh you say? Why is it not in the hybrid class? It is because he bought the car cheaply with a bad hybrid battery. All of the hybrid functions have been disabled so the car is a very efficient gas class car with it's lean burn engine, light curb weight, and superior aerodynamics.
Mike
How could he disable all of the hybrid features when, if I remember rightly, the starter on that car cuts the engine when coasting to a stop and starts it electrically to get up to speed (about 15 mph) before the gas engine kicks in :hmm


Red Green "Sound ingenious? Sound incredible?? Sound impossible??? Who cares!! I'm not listening :rasp "
. Mans Toolbox - You only need 2 tools, WD40 is for when it doesn't move but should, and Duct tape is for when it shouldn't move but does :rofl
When I'm not here, I'm taking up space on the net or planning to keep track of something :hmm
Quote
Like
Share