Second gear grind after bushing replacement

CrystalWhite

March 11th, 2018, 9:53 pm #1

Just replaced the shifter bushings on my GT due to sloppy and vague shifter. Since then I have gotten a slight but noticeable crunch going only into second on upshift.

The transmission had a hard life from previous owners, it was a bit notchy but never grindy like this. I used new replacement bushings from BBowens, replaced the 4 tan bushings and the 4 bushings connecting the shift rod to the transmission linkage. Could I have adjusted something causing this to grind or is this just new bushings causing this?

Shifter still has some issues with springy movement in neutral on the 1, 2 side of the H pattern. It doesn't spring back into place like the 4,5 R side. Any ideas?
Last edited by CrystalWhite on March 11th, 2018, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suzukitom
Elite Member

March 11th, 2018, 10:51 pm #2

lube applied to bushings during assembly? bolt/nuts/sleeves assembled correctly and not over tightened?

CrystalWhite

March 12th, 2018, 12:04 am #3

I greased the bushings, it may be possible I overtightened them, what is the proper torque settings?

suzukitom
Elite Member

March 12th, 2018, 12:24 am #4

i don't have the torwue values at hand but it isn't much, due to the metal sleeves keeping things from being crushed.

when you replaced the bushings did you put the shifter (part 10 i think) back in the same position in the transmission floorpan (4 bolts) usually there are yellow paint marks showing bolt positions

s_l400__10_.jpg
Last edited by suzukitom on March 12th, 2018, 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

CrystalWhite

March 12th, 2018, 12:56 am #5

I didnt touch that side of the shifter, the only bushings ive changed were 4 of the 18s, and both of the 24 and 25.

Dystopiate666
Elite Member

March 12th, 2018, 2:49 am #6

perhaps the Actual steel links are bent....I bent some dropping a trans out once and it made the shift pattern kinda wonky and tight....probably would become more prevalent after you tighten things up.
42 mpgs @ 80 mph.....with the windows down!!!

~~~~8 Strings, 3 Cylinders....0 Fuc*s~~~~

Dystopiate666
Elite Member

March 12th, 2018, 2:52 am #7

Start sourcing a new trans now, so youre not hard up when this one goes kaput.....I drove around without being able to downshift into second for about 70k miles ....then eventually I started getting blocked out of 1 as well....then in the final days/weeks it started popping out of fifth gear at high speeds......not to mention it screamed like banshee from day one till its final day.....

a crunch, grind, ribbit sound in only one gear is almost certainly the synchro on said gear

Murf 59
Elite Member

March 12th, 2018, 3:09 pm #8

The only thing that has changed are external bushings. There is no adjustment for the syncros. With a sloppy shifter it might take just an extra half second or so to make the shift, giving the worn brass just a little bit longer to do its work. Best guess as a builder. It might be time to rebuild or replace this unit.
A 13.5 to 1 G10. With GTi twin cam pistons. Performance head package work sponsored by our friends at 3Tech.
A set of 4.38s set up as a 4 spd. MSD ignition, and a Weber card on top. It has a SRD header on the bottom side.
I run a Glow shift tach, and a HF vacuum gauge.
This engine is still in the works. I have all the pieces, but am not able to get the energy to assemble it.

This is what it looks like running at Bonneville from the front seat of a Geo Metro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOcWzyzyjPw

CrystalWhite

March 12th, 2018, 9:40 pm #9

Thanks everyone, I'm going to relube the bolts, dial back the torque and replace the transmission fluid once I pop the blown out cv axle. Maybe that will be good enough.

What transmissions are cross compatible for these cars? Are transmissions from metros/sprints etc strong enough for at GT or would the best bet be rebuilding the existing one?

Dystopiate666
Elite Member

March 13th, 2018, 5:03 am #10

I have good luck finding used trannies for mine....any manual trans from any metro will work, if its from a swift gt youll have to modify it (not likely this will be your scenario, they are rare). Sprint trans will not work in a metro I don't think.

Are you using syncromesh in your box?