Running Engine Oil Thru Automatic Transmission Radiator Cooler.

Rondawg
Elite Member
Rondawg
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 3:51 am #1

My 92 Vert has a 5 speed, but it has a radiator from an automatic, obviously the tranny cooler portion of the radiator is not being used. I was wondering, if I piped the engine oil thru the unused tranny cooler portion of the radiator would be a good idea?

* I always figgered the coolant heats up faster than engine oil, so it seems it would get the oil.warmed up quicker.
* I have no idea how hot the oil normally gets. Would it keep the oil cooler when it's running hard?
* Having extra oil in circulating around seems like a good idea.

Something like this would make it easy to run oil lines into the radiator:

Mythstae
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 3:57 am #2

This has been brought up before, the basic gist I can recall is:

Don't.

But, why not?

A. The lines in a transmission cooler are insufficient to allow the proper circulation. You'd starve your engine for oil and ruin it. Plus also,
B. Hotter oil gets you better gas mileage, or something like that :hmm

Rondawg
Elite Member
Rondawg
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 4:15 am #3

If you add enough extra oil to match the extra capicity of the tranny cooler, the circulation of the oil that is in the motor should not be changed. Cold oil surely is not good for MPG, so assuming the coolant heats up quicker than the oil, I would think, the oil would warm up faster being pumped thru a warm radiator.
I wonder how hot the oil is under normal running conditions?

David95237
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 4:22 am #4

The trans cooler will not flow enough gallons. You would have to have a relief valve to pass the rest of the oil
Half of being a mechanic is knowing where to hit and what size hammer to use.

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all your self

"To know what to do is wisdom. To know how to do it is skill. But doing it, as it should
be done, tops the other two virtues."
-Anonymous

ZXTjato
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 4:32 am #5

I know its not quite the answer you were after but when I bought parts from T3 he sent me an actual oil cooler with all the adaptors and hoses. the hoses are quite large and the inlet and outlet of the mini radiator are large also. I wonder if the trans lines are to small? they are kind of small if I remember correct. have not had an auto around in a while. :dunno
Technological Disobedience

Rondawg
Elite Member
Rondawg
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 4:39 am #6

David95237 wrote:The trans cooler will not flow enough gallons. You would have to have a relief valve to pass the rest of the oil
Not pass enough? It will pass whatever it passes. If it passes an gallon a minute or a gallon an hour why would ya need a check valve?

David95237
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 4:46 am #7

So if your oil pump puts out 5 gallons a minute to satisfy the motor and the cooler will only pass 1 gallon a minute, What are you going to do to not starve the engine?

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all your self

"To know what to do is wisdom. To know how to do it is skill. But doing it, as it should
-Anonymous

Rondawg
Elite Member
Rondawg
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 5:10 am #8

I don't see how it would starve the engine in any way. The oil (whatever ammount) that goes into the cooler is instantly gonna be pumped right back in the motor. It's a closed loop system. Like putting in a bigger radiator and filling it to capacity is not gonna starve the engine of coolant!
I was an assembly and test technician on big comercial turbo fan jet engines for years. They have a fuel oil heat exchanger. Fuel is warmed and oil is cooled in this thing which looks like a heavy duty oversized heater core. Same principle as what I am thinking here.
I was just wondering if doing this would heat the oil faster, especially on cold winter mornings. And keep the oil a bit cooler when operating temp is reached
& if it would be a good thing or not?

David95237
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 5:12 am #9

done here

-Anonymous

ZXTjato
Elite Member

September 13th, 2015, 5:15 am #10

maybe what hes getting at is like breathing through a straw?
Technological Disobedience