Project "EcoMudder"

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

October 1st, 2011, 9:55 pm #1

I got a rust-free 91 Metro 4 door with a 3 cylinder automatic with no title. I been wanting to do something like this for a long time :rocker

My full intention of this project is to keep the original drive train on this vehicle and make it a mud buggy capable of tackling the roughest terrain. Many of you know I mud my 4X4 truck at Yankee Lake Truck Night and even made the Season 1 Truck Night DVD.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WGWIn1rjp0

This project is starting with a 1991 4 door 3 cylinder automatic with a solid chassis...........

This car will be converted into a "pickup truck" complete with a roll bar and complete under body skid plate. It will look very similar to this image I found on the net as far as the body goes.........

I plan on running tall, aggressive ATV tires and need to come up with the proper combo for ground clearance and traction........

I have some time to do this project, so it will be a slow, but steady process.

Everyone is free to chime in with their ideas and suggestions to help me accomplish the task at hand.

Stay tuned!

I am also interested in sponsors if anyone is interested in sponsoring the project in any way possible.

So far the things needed would be................
Roll cage - Thanks Coyote X for the help!
A custom triple stack header - Thanks MM Products!
25x8x12 six ply ATV tires - Thanks Coyote X!
Spare auto trans - Still need!
Spare auto axles - Still need!
Control arms - Still need!

95+ Sedan springs - Done by me.
Engine parts - Thanks 3Tech!
Frame bracing - Thanks Turbine Tech!

This is going to be fun! Not only will this be a fun Mud Machine, it will make a great "Bug Out Vehicle" if the shit hits the fan :drivin

If you do not care to go through all the pages of the project, here is a "Start to Finish" Movie........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBo9694E4pw
Last edited by Johnny Mullet on July 14th, 2013, 11:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

t3ragtop
Elite Member

October 1st, 2011, 10:13 pm #2

doing the pick 'em up chop on a 5 door is more involved than the 2 door. the 2 door has a bigger c-pillar in the approximate new cab corner position doesn't it? then there are the rear doors to deal with.

this will be wild. give johnny a welder and he can entertain himself for hours. :D

here's my first suggestion. swap the rear knuckles and brake drums for late model parts. the mk2/3 cars have a tapered spindle that's weaker than the later models' straight spindle. i've seen the tapered spindles bend pretty bad. that did in a lot of those mini-truck conversions.
Reformed Elitist Prick!

mcmancuso
Elite Member

October 1st, 2011, 10:52 pm #3

I've thought about this build, with the 5 door for the longer 'bed' area and shorter front doors. Good luck!
Last edited by mcmancuso on October 1st, 2011, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get current Auto parts coupons here: https://www.facebook.com/MattsAutoDiscounts

billy508
Elite Member

October 1st, 2011, 11:01 pm #4

4 wheel drive!!! Stick another engine/trans in the rear. Tie the front and back together with a sub frame. I always want to do it. Just never have.......Even with 2 engines you would have but a 6 cylinder. Name? (6 the hard way!}!!!
Dreaming of Geos on the Gulf V 2017

offroadohio

October 1st, 2011, 11:16 pm #5

Wow, lots of ohio folks here. Let alone to find another "wheeler" I dont do the mud stuff, im a trail/rock guy but this should be an interesting thread to watch.

I once had a lifted toyota wagon 4wd that I ran atv tires on.

metro_fiend
Elite Member

October 1st, 2011, 11:26 pm #6

atta boy johnny
Don't Metro hate Metro appreciate

93 2 door GT - Performance Build
98 2 door 3/5- Sold
95 2 door 3/5- Old Daily #2
97 4 door 4/3- Blown/Parts
99 4 door 4/3- Parts
93 2 door 3/5- Winter Beater 2012
96 2 door 4/3- Parts
95 2 door 3/5- Old Daily, Spare engine holder
95 2 door 4/3- Winter Beater 2011
95 2 door 4/3- Crushed
96 4 door 4/3- Crushed
92 2 door 3/3- Crushed
91 4 door 3/3- Crushed

bogs
Elite Member

October 2nd, 2011, 5:06 pm #7

Can't wait to see this one come together :D

Red Green "Sound ingenious? Sound incredible?? Sound impossible??? Who cares!! I'm not listening :rasp "
. Mans Toolbox - You only need 2 tools, WD40 is for when it doesn't move but should, and Duct tape is for when it shouldn't move but does :rofl
When I'm not here, I'm taking up space on the net or planning to keep track of something :hmm

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

October 2nd, 2011, 7:25 pm #8

I got the garage cleaned out and stripped out what I needed from the 93 parts car. EcoMudder is officially in the garage and I am going to tear down the engine and rebuild it......

I am keeping it an automatic (still saved all the 5-speed conversion parts from parts car) and some of you may ask why. I only need 1st and second gear when mudding. Plus there are no shift rods or anything underneath that can get wasted on a rock and leave me stranded.

When the big boys get stuck, they need traction and RPM's to get unstuck. Holding a V-8 engine at 6-8K for long periods of time causes these larger displacement engines to break down in various ways. We all know the G10 is capable of 6-8k for long periods of time without worrying if the engine will break down :thumb

I am wanting to get the best top end power from this engine so I will have to contact 3Tech and see if he can offer me some advice on a cam /gear combo. I also need to grunt to break traction with the larger tires.

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

October 4th, 2011, 11:10 pm #9

Head ripped off...........

Windows and hatch removed..........

Rear doors cut and stripped, ready to be welded shut..........

Scoobs
Elite Member

October 4th, 2011, 11:34 pm #10

I would have left the back doors alone, kept them for spares and got some sheet metal to weld in instead. would have been lighter. :D
Last edited by Scoobs on October 4th, 2011, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.