freegeo
Elite Member

September 4th, 2018, 2:59 pm #31

Moringa wrote:I believe the "short term," is in addition to what the "long term" is already doing. So it would be as much as %97 plus %17. Something like this could be a plugged up fuel filter. It would be something that would be driving it lean, and as mentioned, it may be a specific driving condition. For instance, if you take a long trip, and are usually doing 65 mph or more, this is a high fuel demand situation, when the fuel system is compromised.
wrote:I believe the "short term," is in addition to what the "long term" is already doing.
Can you give a little more description of how you believe the fuel trims work? I think I follow what your saying but not sure.
IC5

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas Edison

Moringa
Elite Member

September 4th, 2018, 5:14 pm #32

The long term is more of a "permanent adjustment," like something is wrong, and stays wrong until it is fixed. The fuel filter example is a good one, because the long term has to compensate, and will always be that way in THAT situation. The short term is for intermittent problems which require a fuel delivery adjustment. The intermittent issue could be a higher fuel demand, or another separate problem. If this other problem persists for a period of time, then the long term might take over, and adjust again, assuming that it will be more permanent. So the short term fuel trim may move closer to zero, while the long term shows an even more "positive" adjustment. This is why both short and long term must be used when trying to figure things out.

freegeo
Elite Member

September 4th, 2018, 5:40 pm #33

Ok, thanks for the response. That's what I thought you meant.
IC5

Many of life's failures are experienced by people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. Thomas Edison

adit600

September 4th, 2018, 7:01 pm #34

ok i think i see the problem... this tool shows the following... fuel sys 1 cl
fuel sys 2 n/a
calc load 31.8%
ECT 199 deg f
STFT B1 -16%
LTFT B1 2.3%
MAP 24 in hg
ENG RPM 2559

OK this is a snapshot of the live data, on a test drive, this frame was taken from the driving at speed in 5th, at 50 mph, and had been at the speed for several minutes ,, the figures i seen at long term fuel trim of 93% were for LTFT B2 i dont think the geo HAS a bank 2 my bad...

VEH SPEED 50 mph
SPARK ADV 20.5
IAT 109
MAF 2.00 lb/min
TPS 26.7 %

freegeo
Elite Member

September 4th, 2018, 9:08 pm #35

adit600 wrote:ok i think i see the problem... this tool shows the following... fuel sys 1 cl
fuel sys 2 n/a
calc load 31.8%
ECT 199 deg f
STFT B1 -16%
LTFT B1 2.3%
MAP 24 in hg
ENG RPM 2559

OK this is a snapshot of the live data, on a test drive, this frame was taken from the driving at speed in 5th, at 50 mph, and had been at the speed for several minutes ,, the figures i seen at long term fuel trim of 93% were for LTFT B2 i dont think the geo HAS a bank 2 my bad...

VEH SPEED 50 mph
SPARK ADV 20.5
IAT 109
MAF 2.00 lb/min
TPS 26.7 %

Those numbers look more normal.

Was the 1st set of numbers at a idle? Is the STFT always a negative?

Is it really hot where you live? You have a IAT of 109.
IC5

adit600

September 5th, 2018, 12:36 am #36

no, those firstv set of numbers were driving and yes its hotter than hells hinges this week 98 99 degrees,,

freegeo
Elite Member

September 5th, 2018, 12:41 am #37

Ok, thanks for the response. It is warm here but not that bad

Did you get the scan tool to see what the engine does under normal conditions or did you have a check engine light on!
Last edited by freegeo on September 5th, 2018, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC5

adit600

September 5th, 2018, 2:43 pm #38

basically to get an idea of normal conditions, it will code a check engine code every couple of months, its the cst converter out of spec or range code