New paint job

tetodijuneau

May 15th, 2018, 2:07 pm #1

Thanks in advance to anyone who may have the insight to advise me here.
Last summer I purchased locally a '97 3 cyl hatchback from someone who had taken very good care of it. Mileage 63,000, no rust, regular maintenance, and all looked good. Didn't drive it much as I am still bombing around town with my other '97 that has nearly 300,000 mi. and running fine, but rusty.
The new car I had in the garage all winter and just pulled it out. I am saving it for long road trips that I won't dare take any longer with the other.

Yesterday I took it to the car wash and as soon as I turned the hose on the hood, big flakes of paint flew off the hood. Called the original owner and asked what gives? He said that after all those years he hadn't thought to tell me the hood and two side panels had been repainted after some minor damage.
"Thanks buddy" was my reply. Whatever...
Long to short, I took it to a body shop yesterday and got a quote of $2000. to repaint the three sections. I'd like to have it restored. Living in Alaska where everything costs more than down south, is it likely that I could take a road trip and have the painting done much cheaper and still get good quality work?
I've long wanted to attend Geopalooza, maybe this is the excuse. Otherwise I'll have the work done here at home and have it ready for that road trip. I was a bit shocked by the quote. The owner of the body shop informed me along with the quote, that my Geo was worth $800. "Not if you are a Geo owner and lover" I replied.

MR1 Kingsbury
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 2:16 pm #2

If it is just paint (and prep) Most of the quote cost will be from prepping the existing surface; cleaning, taping and sanding, etc. You might be able to strike a deal with paint shop if you do most of the prep work.... Only takes about an hour to spray it... 2-3 hours for multicoat and/or clearcoating...
See if you can negotiate for the prepwork and get the paint cost down to under $900.
MR1 Kingsbury 96 1.3 Auto X2
SageBunny Rocks

GeoStalker
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 2:45 pm #3

MR1 Kingsbury wrote:If it is just paint (and prep) Most of the quote cost will be from prepping the existing surface; cleaning, taping and sanding, etc. You might be able to strike a deal with paint shop if you do most of the prep work.... Only takes about an hour to spray it... 2-3 hours for multicoat and/or clearcoating...
See if you can negotiate for the prepwork and get the paint cost down to under $900.
I agree. I've had a few cars painted at a local Maaco paint and body shop, and they're always running specials. I paid $900 recently for sanding, primer, and paint with UV protectant on my 93 magenta vert, and the job was fantastic. But I pulled all of the mirrors, headlights, taillights, door handles, and every other piece of trim off of it to shorten the amount of prep time on behalf of the painters.

Depending on what kind of job you're looking for, a Maaco-like shop can paint your car for $400 if you're not looking for primer and all of the other higher quality paints. Sometimes orange peel can happen in those situations.
My 1991 Geo Metro convertible--nicknamed Red Rain

Whiteboard Salvation Video

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

evmetro
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm #4

The price of a paint job can vary from as little as couple hundred dollars to tens of thousands, and you generally get what you pay for. Set your budget, but be aware that the results you get will probably be less than what you expected for your money.
Last edited by evmetro on May 15th, 2018, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tetodijuneau

May 15th, 2018, 3:24 pm #5

I just called around a few shops in Hood River OR and Spokane, WA and got estimates in the $800.-$1300. range. Juneau, Alaska is a small town with a few good body shops but everything here costs more.
Might be worth the road trip.

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 4:30 pm #6

Cost $3000 to repaint the 96, but that included body work and painting everything including door jams, inside hatch, etc

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 6:16 pm #7

Macco has a special in the winter months in my area half price you can get the whole care painted for $250. This is just prep/sealer mask/tape, paint then buff as needed. You can get an upgrade to a different paint just more $s like $400 or $600 for premium paint.

I have been told by other shops they can not even buy the paint for what Macco can do the complete job for.
DD 97 Green Tambourine, 3/5, Black and green, Has AC.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

clen
Elite Member

May 16th, 2018, 2:14 pm #8

How good is the Macco job? I mean I hear horror stories.

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 16th, 2018, 2:23 pm #9

You get what you pay for... paint is paint and you get a good price. They will not do the body work unless you specify to do it. They have cheaper paint and more expensive.

Yes on the cheapo paint jobs they are not carful... you pay for a premium with them and they are going to take better care of the detail work.

There work/paint has some sort of guaranty.
DD 97 Green Tambourine, 3/5, Black and green, Has AC.

evmetro
Elite Member

May 16th, 2018, 6:36 pm #10

nwgeo wrote:You get what you pay for...
This is the golden rule. Very few people understand the differences in what you pay for until they pick up their car, or sometimes a year later when the paint turns to crap.

Enough automotive paint to cover a Metro can be had for less than 100 bucks, but it will likely be single stage with little to no uv protection. Single stage meaning you just spray it on and let it dry like you would if you were painting a bedroom. There are better and worse single stage paints, but none are as nice as two stage paint.

Two stage paint is what comes on new cars, and consists of a base layer of color that dries flat and ugly, and a second layer of clear to make it shiny and pretty. The clear will contain various amounts of uv protection to make your paint last in the sun, and the price will vary wildly depending on how much uv protection it has, and how hard it is. The base coat price will vary wildly as well, depending on how pretty it is. Enough two stage material to cover a Metro will range from 250 bucks to 2 grand, and enough oem quality material should run about 1500 bucks.

The price can go way up when we get into three and more stage paints, or into more exotic stuff.

There is more to it than just the cost of the paint material though, which is where we get into the body work. A super cheap paint job means nothing is removed from the car, and it is just scuffed up a little with some scotchbrite before getting painted. Everything is masked with tape and paper, and the masking may not be the best. no ding or dent repair.

One can pay extra for ding or dent repair, but the price will go up. These repairs can be alright looking, or perfect, depending on how much you pay.

New cars have nothing on them when they are painted at the factory, which allows every surface to be painted. No sharp ugly lines from masking tape, and superior corrosion protection. If you want this service included in your paint job, it will cost dearly.

It would probably cost from anywhere from about 7500 bucks up to about 15k to have a twenty plus year old Metro paint and body restoration done to oem standards, but obviously nobody is going to pay that kind of money. You have to pick a budget, and establish what exactly you will be getting before you sign an agreement, and be aware that you will only get what you pay for, if even that. If you are paying for body work, walk around with a paint pen and mark everything that is supposed to be fixed, and take pictures of your marks.