Count Metrola

May 8th, 2018, 9:44 pm #111

suzukitom wrote:Stick with it Count Metrola, :thumb

you are doing what many dream of doing..for the experience and/ or to save their beloved Metros.

im sure the cautions are not meant to discourage you but to express concern for safety when you get it on the road. in my area, cars with extensive mods to their frames or home built cars are inspected and if passed, issued a safety certificate. is there something like that in your state?
There is no inspection that I know of unless the title is salvaged
1994 Geo Metro XFi 2dr hatch 5 speed. Rustiest hunk of awesomeness I've ever seen.
Rust fix now, restomod soon after. Safety first, modifications later!

Count Metrola

May 8th, 2018, 9:46 pm #112

geeten wrote:
Count Metrola wrote:As 1993XFI mentioned. I am doing it because I can. I mean, spring perches are welded onto RWD axle tubes on cars that make over 1000 horsepower. If not a spring perch, it's a 4-link mount. Personally, I trust my fabrication because it is SEVERAL times thicker and stronger than the factory stamped steel frame. And, the only liability is on myself because I am performing the work. I have faith that it will be okay. And if not, I guess you can say you told me so. My inspiration for rebuilding this car is it's actually quite a rare car, it's a true XFi, and come on. It gets 50mpg. It was a dirt cheap basket case I got as a toy because if I failed at the resto, then who cares. I'm using this rust bucket as experience for down the road when I acquire something more classic and valuable that needs the same attention. More so, i dont have time to allot to the travel to Timbuktu for a clean ride. This one was an hour and a half out of my way which I executed on a school night. I'll throw that one in for free lol. I'm not trying to chew anyone out. I'm merely explaining my cause. I thank everyone for the support (and lack thereof) because it just makes me more ambitious and confident. As always guys, stay tuned for more because this puppy is nearing completion!
I get it. I like your thinking. My problem, its just that I don't get rust, never had/want to deal with it. I'm actually behind you 100%. As I am with anyone with a project of any kind. Follow your dream, express your skills and talents. Do it your way, make it yours and enjoy the journey. And walk tall. In my mind if someone does that then they have earned a seat at the big boys table.

Thank you! It's coming along nicely. I am just hoping I have the alignment correct. I hope to attend this year's Palooza with the Rustro if my work schedule is permitting.
1994 Geo Metro XFi 2dr hatch 5 speed. Rustiest hunk of awesomeness I've ever seen.

Count Metrola

September 6th, 2018, 6:56 pm #113

Hey guys. Just letting everybody know that the Rustro project is still underway. I got a lot of work done. The engine is in the car, I got new brake lines and components as well as a crap load of new parts. It's also plated and registered in my name. Work has been hectic but she's coming along slowly but surely. I have progress photos but I just haven't had the time to upload them. Just wanted to let everyone know what is going on since I haven't posted in a long time.

suzukitom
Elite Member

September 6th, 2018, 7:04 pm #114

glad you stuck with it. it's a lot of work to do what you are doing and take the time to document and share what you are doing with others. :cheers

getting it on the road in the meantime sure helps to keep motivation for a project going!

Count Metrola

September 8th, 2018, 2:30 pm #115

Oh yeah, it's really close to being on the road. I believe I have everything to put the engine back together. I even have a racing long tube header I got off of a metro at pull a part! Yeah, that's definitely going to be installed :drivin
Last edited by Count Metrola on September 8th, 2018, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wizard93
Elite Member

September 9th, 2018, 3:51 am #116

Count Metrola wrote:Here's a close-up of the passenger side "horn". It was pretty difficult to cut that compound angle for the base of the square tube, but it's there!

I found a little more rust. That's a lot bigger than the half dollar sized hole that pre-existed. Funny how that works.

All fixed. I double layered the steel since that was what was there from the factory.

Now I began recreating the lower firewall. It's somewhat crude, but again I don't care. It certainly will be functional especially with how beefy I'm making the frame.

This is the tunnel patch.

Here's a before and after on the drivers side. The passenger side firewall is completely done. I guess I forgot to get a picture of it. I mean it basically looks exactly like this, just more complete and neat. I'll post a picture of it on my next update post.

:thumb :cheers

Now that's what I'm talking about!

It's nice to see someone get creative with reconstructing the front frame horns. Imagine how many Metros could have been saved if only someone took the time and creativity to undertake such a job.

Nice welds, too! What welder do you use? I only have an old Harbor Freight flux wire welder I've been using on mine. The welds aren't pretty, but it seems to work okay.

Newtynewt

September 9th, 2018, 5:34 pm #117

Count Metrola just an FYI. I want to share a welding safety document with you from OSHA. You have done some very nice work. I just hope that you have been welding with a welding breathing mask or at the very least plenty of ventilation. Flux core welding has been known to cause some serious health problems if safety precautions are not followed. Parkinson's and cancer from welding are no laughing matter when a doctor gives you the bad news. Best wishes to you and I hope you get many trouble free miles out of your newly restored Metro. Peace!
https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA_ ... elding.pdf

Newtynewt

September 9th, 2018, 5:46 pm #118

Sorry I didn't post a link for a welding respirator also with my last post. I don't recommend one respirator over another but thought you should know that they make such a thing. Here is an example from Miller. https://www.zoro.com/miller-electric-ha ... ew-display

Count Metrola

September 9th, 2018, 10:10 pm #119

Thanks guys. I'm no proficient welder but I can run a good bead once in a while if I care enough to. I began the job using a 100amp Hobart flux core, and I've since been using a 240v harbor freight gas mig. That thing welds beautifully. I'm happy with the progress. I just got the new gas tank and the rest of the brake parts so it should be back together and driving soon.
Last edited by Count Metrola on September 9th, 2018, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.