Count Metrola

April 6th, 2017, 1:31 pm #11

Making the first mounting plate.

First radius plate.

Bending the rear radius plate.

Rear plate.

Rocker panel reinforcements. 14 gauge first then 1/8th inch on the outer.
http://b2.ifrm.com/165/2/0/p712712/19.jpg

Mount to rocker structure. Spot welded then burned all the way around.

And voila :rocker ! I'm gonna do the other side just the same because its flaky on the inside. I want this baby to last.

21.jpg
20b.jpg
20a.jpg
20.jpg
19.jpg
18.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg
15.jpg
14.jpg
13.jpg
12.jpg
Last edited by Count Metrola on December 3rd, 2017, 11:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1994 Geo Metro XFi 2dr hatch 5 speed. Rustiest hunk of awesomeness I've ever seen.
Rust fix now, restomod soon after. Safety first, modifications later!

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

April 6th, 2017, 4:02 pm #12

I gave up on rusty rides. Kudos for what you are trying to do.

GeoStalker
Elite Member

April 6th, 2017, 5:24 pm #13

WOW! I've undertaken some rusty rides in the past, but I, too, have given up on doing that again. There are many rust free rides still available in the southern, western, southwestern, and northwestern quadrants of the U.S. where it would almost be worth buying online and paying the freight to ship it to you.

As for your project, good luck, and I hope you can get some miles out of it.
My 1991 Geo Metro convertible--nicknamed Red Rain

Whiteboard Salvation Video

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Count Metrola

April 7th, 2017, 2:49 am #14

Johnny Mullet wrote:I gave up on rusty rides. Kudos for what you are trying to do.
Thank you! There's always potential. I mean what car can you buy that gets 50mpg? I stole mine for $275 and I sourced all of the metal from school for free so it was a win-win for me. I have the welder and the fabrication skills to do it so why not? :)
Last edited by Count Metrola on April 7th, 2017, 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Geo Metro XFi 2dr hatch 5 speed. Rustiest hunk of awesomeness I've ever seen.

Count Metrola

April 7th, 2017, 2:52 am #15

GeoStalker wrote:WOW! I've undertaken some rusty rides in the past, but I, too, have given up on doing that again. There are many rust free rides still available in the southern, western, southwestern, and northwestern quadrants of the U.S. where it would almost be worth buying online and paying the freight to ship it to you.

As for your project, good luck, and I hope you can get some miles out of it.
I do too! Since the car only has 55,000 original miles on it I hope i can get at least another 150k to 200k especially since I am getting rid of the sheet metal frame horns. I plan on using a bar and chain oil concoction inside of my beefed-up horn to prevent rust. It'll take a long while to rust out 1/4 inch plate! :lol

MPG
Elite Member

April 7th, 2017, 3:07 am #16

Wow my hat is off to you Metrola
The rustiest ride reserection Award is yours
You go man bring your Metro back to life !!!
❤️The Game❤️My Metro

Count Metrola

April 7th, 2017, 3:23 am #17

MPG wrote:Wow my hat is off to you Metrola
The rustiest ride reserection Award is yours
You go man bring your Metro back to life !!!
❤️The Game❤️My Metro
:cheers Thank you! be sure to stay tuned. There's lots more to come! I have big plans for this thing once it's on the road. Paint job, maybe drop the ride height a little, and some of my signature modifications. I like to be unique. I dont want to be uniform with my vehicles; I want to stand out and be recognized as the only one like it around, you know?

dayle1960
Elite Member

April 7th, 2017, 6:56 am #18

I'm scared. :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared

Your fabbing skills are evident. You got a great deal on a low mileage Gen1 car. You are energetic with wanting to revive this metro.

YET.................

There are areas of the metro which you cannot see. Those areas might need addressing and are inaccessible due to their location. Which makes me wonder about the integrity of the chassis to withstand an impact from it getting hit by something.

I once had a Gen1 metro I bought for a song. It too had a floor pan which had rotted away. I clearly remember bending a hunk of metal to conform to the ribs in the floor pan. I welded the metal and then sold that car to a guy from another state because he REALLY wanted a metro due to its mpgs. But I never have felt good about selling that metro due to the rot in the floor pans. I felt that if it got hit the hunk of metal I welded in would pop up and chop the poor guys feet off. Yea, I know it probably would not happen, yet I feel very sketchy about rehabbing a very rusted metro.

I hope this works out for you. Just go through the entire floor pan and beat on it with a thinned nosed hammer to make certain there is no thin areas which might be hidden by paint or other masking substances.

:scared :scared :scared :scared
Last edited by dayle1960 on April 7th, 2017, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

If it gets less than 45mpg, throw it out and start over again.
When you pass 50mpg, smile, you've done something right.

Count Metrola

April 7th, 2017, 12:56 pm #19

dayle1960 wrote:I'm scared. :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared :scared

Your fabbing skills are evident. You got a great deal on a low mileage Gen1 car. You are energetic with wanting to revive this metro.

YET.................

There are areas of the metro which you cannot see. Those areas might need addressing and are inaccessible due to their location. Which makes me wonder about the integrity of the chassis to withstand an impact from it getting hit by something.

I once had a Gen1 metro I bought for a song. It too had a floor pan which had rotted away. I clearly remember bending a hunk of metal to conform to the ribs in the floor pan. I welded the metal and then sold that car to a guy from another state because he REALLY wanted a metro due to its mpgs. But I never have felt good about selling that metro due to the rot in the floor pans. I felt that if it got hit the hunk of metal I welded in would pop up and chop the poor guys feet off. Yea, I know it probably would not happen, yet I feel very sketchy about rehabbing a very rusted metro.

I hope this works out for you. Just go through the entire floor pan and beat on it with a thinned nosed hammer to make certain there is no thin areas which might be hidden by paint or other masking substances.

:scared :scared :scared :scared
A lot of thought went into this car before I purchased it. I, too, was scared about the inaccessible voids of these cars. The passenger side of the car flexes a little bit when I open/close the door but I believe that to be caused by the c-channel support under the car being gone as well as lower firewall being gone too. I will NOT drive this car until I have gone over every inch and until that flexing stops. I hope once I run the new C-channel, recreate the horns and the firewall the car will ave its integrity back. I will be going every inch of the car before I drive it.

I mean, the car does have a K&N sticker on the back so that should add what.. 2000 more PSI of chassis tensile strength and maybe a few ponies right? :lol

Mainly, it rotted because the ding dong P/O left the car sit in a field for three years :banghead :banghead :banghead
Last edited by Count Metrola on April 7th, 2017, 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

1993XFI
Elite Member

April 8th, 2017, 10:50 am #20

Can't wait to see and hear about this car at the 10TH Annual GeoPalooza this summer. Anyone that puts this much work into a car is going to have a interesting story. Go for it! I have been told many a time not to restore a car and every car I did was never disappointed. As long as the car is safe. I see many street rods built that are unsafe for the road. This is one of those cars I was told not to restore.
Last edited by 1993XFI on April 8th, 2017, 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.