My '92 metro

aartod
Elite Member

September 24th, 2013, 6:30 pm #1

Soooooo, a few months ago I bought my first metro, a blue 92 2 door base model... I bought it with a blown headgasket and who knows what else. I wanted a metro primarily for the gas mileage because I drive 98 miles a day for work. I am a fan of subarus and have only driven them for the past 15 years or so, however, they are not so hot on gas milage! So anyhow, I pulled the head and found many more problems such as wore out cam journals, a bad cylinder wall, and out of tolerance bottom end. Luckily geo Glenn was going to be traveling thru my area and I was able to buy a head from him and he measured my crank and bottom end components and I ended up ordering the rest of the engine from him. Now what is left is buying a gasket kit, water pump, timing set, and all the other misc tune-up type parts. Currently I am stuck waiting on money to buy more parts. So, while I am waiting on that, I have done other things like removing the gas tank to drain the 2 year old gas out and cleaning this and that. So now the project is stalled a bit but I will update when I get more completed. Yes, I will post some pictures soon too!

Memphis metro
Elite Member

September 24th, 2013, 6:38 pm #2

:popcorn

Just curious, what led you to the geo metro? How did you find out about the metro? Did you read about them, see one for sale, looked up fuel efficient cars?
Last edited by Memphis metro on September 24th, 2013, 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aartod
Elite Member

September 24th, 2013, 7:27 pm #3

I have had a long commute for the past 13 years... I knew they got great mpg and are old (so they were in my price range) and I have been saying for years that I wanted to try one out because I spend a ton of money on gas! My old half dead subaru legacy has 285,000 on it and is needing replacement- so I decided to buy one to replace it. I also did some reading on this forum before I bought it to get some info on the mechanical aspect of them.

aartod
Elite Member

September 25th, 2013, 3:12 pm #4

I was going to get a couple pictures... However, it has been non stop dumping rain! Soon enough, I suppose.

aartod
Elite Member

November 24th, 2013, 1:00 am #5

Okay, so it's been awhile and I finally got some pictures of the engine that will be installed in a few days... I'm still not totally sure about the color, but I love the color green!

Memphis metro
Elite Member

November 24th, 2013, 3:49 am #6

^o)

Boogie Rat
Elite Member

November 24th, 2013, 7:07 am #7

Nice work. That's a very purty motor.
Giddyup

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

November 24th, 2013, 7:19 am #8

:popcorn

Deleted User
Deleted User

November 24th, 2013, 4:58 pm #9

Nice.

Stick an oil filter on there to keep the bugs out.

Planning some sort of an aftermarket coolant temperature monitoring device?

aartod
Elite Member

November 24th, 2013, 6:48 pm #10

Yup, you must have seen that big brass fitting... I wanted a mechanical gauge so I welded a bung and machined me a hole where the length of the probe wouldn't be a problem. I have heard that the stock gauges are not the most reliable.