Modifying My Midwing

razr769
Elite Member

January 6th, 2013, 6:12 am #1

This has been an ongoing project for the last 4 months or so. I decided to take the midwing off of the turbo sprint I bought in the summer. Here it is on the car.

I have removed one before, and I didn't break anything so I thought I'd try that technique again.

Well, one wrong swing of the hammer and this can happen :shit

After that I must not have been as careful as the first time. I ended up chipping it a few times, breaking it into 2 pieces and cracking it almost into a third piece.

All the glass stuck to it shows how much double sided tape is actually on these things.

After cleaning the glass off, I started by fiberglassing it back into one piece.

Then I took the die grinder and flattened the ridges around the sides of the wiper

The plan is to remove the wiper entirely and make it flat across. I have to fill the gap so I started with cardboard backing and added fiberglass

and then more layers of fiberglass. Grind it smooth until i'm left with this:

Now it's time for epoxy to fill the smaller chips and imperfections.

Bondo time!

After 3 layers of bondo, sanding with 80 and then 180, it's time for primer.

It's starting to look half decent now. I sanded the primer with 400 grit just to rough up the surface a little bit.
Time for paint!
1 coat

2 coats

3 coats :)

Now for the tricky part: drilling holes into my hatch to line up with the midwing
Here's my car before installation

Here is my template for the holes I traced from the old hatch.

They weren't really that reliable so I just took measurements instead. I didn't cut big holes in the outer layer of the hatch. Instead, I dented it in enough to make room for the mounts shown in the next pic.

This is what I used to make sure the mounts were in the right spot. thread them in and line them up on the hatch.

Quick touch up of rust prevention and primer for the bare metal.

Now, without further ado, here is the midwing mounted on my car!

It's not perfect by any means, but I'm happy with it. It's not completely straight across, but if you're not looking for it you wouldn't notice it.

The mounts from the inside:

To my surprise, my hatch struts still lift and hold the hatch up :)
This project is not quite done yet. I plan on painting the c pillars black like the stock turbo sprints. While it's off, I'm going to add some double sided tape across the bottom before it gets mounted permanently.

Well that's it for this post. Hope it wasn't too many pictures for you guys haha ;)
My turbo project thread - From paint job to turbo 3 swap and upgrades!

Bad Bent
Elite Member

January 6th, 2013, 7:59 am #2

Excellent!! :rocker :rocker

Nice piece of work.
Have fun...
BadBent
"The Filthy Beast" 1991 Metro Rescued from trip to junk yard. Aluminum underdrive pulley, Header, 218/350 3Tech cam/+10 gear, Bosch Plat. +4s, FlameThrowerII coil. K&N, Catco Cat., Jones glasspack, KYB, Vortekx Generators, Air dam, 7mm Ground wires, Ram Air, Mood Disk hubcaps and lowered & rear strut bar. No TB bridge. No A/C - Roof scoop works.
"Goody Two Shoes" 1996 Metro, The Wife's car. 3Tech "econo" cam, +10 gear, Al. underdrive pulley, K&N, KYB, Bosch, Magnaflow, Syn. & grounded. No TB bridge.

idmetro
Elite Member

January 6th, 2013, 1:19 pm #3

Nicely done! Looks good! I don't think I've ever seen a Sprint mid-wing before.

razr769
Elite Member

January 6th, 2013, 10:54 pm #4

Thanks guys. I guess now I can sell my other midwing.
I was saving it in case I screwed this project up too badly.

Bjetmech
Elite Member

January 6th, 2013, 11:03 pm #5

Should have made a mold to make more to sell... ^o) ^o)

Nice work.
91 Base 3/5

razr769
Elite Member

January 7th, 2013, 12:21 am #6

I think member Nixmixin is working on making reproduction midwings to sell. It's been a long process though so who knows how long before they're available

clarkdw
Elite Member

January 7th, 2013, 1:09 am #7

Looks good Andrew. :thumb

geopat
Elite Member

January 7th, 2013, 3:23 am #8

That came out really nice!

nixmixin
Elite Member

January 16th, 2013, 5:50 am #9

This is a very cool build. I was going to produce these, but have had minimal interest in response to my polls. My only critique of this build is the inner part of the wing still has the notch for the wiper arm clearance.

razr769
Elite Member

January 21st, 2013, 12:52 am #10

Yeah it kinda bugs me that I didn't smooth out the upper wiper notch. I wanted to, but the top part was still perfect and I didn't want to risk screwing it up.

That's too bad that you're not reproducing them