Lil Evil becoming a Cultus

87octane
Advanced Member

February 23rd, 2009, 6:35 am #1

It's Sunday night, time to quit after a marathon 4 day attack on Lil Evil's drivetrain.
Lil Evil is a 97 Metro I got from a buddy for free with a blown motor. I shoved a low miles junkyard 94 TBI in it with all the bullshit OBDII conversion parts and passed smog with flying colors with all junkyard parts, except for a brand new O2. Got two years to mod it before the smog police come after me again.

My wife's a real estate appraiser and drives up to 400 miles a day to inspect job sites and this is her daily driver. She used to do it in a Suburban but the gas bill broke our backs so a junkyard 47 mpg documented was a welcome relief. The problem comes when wailing up a 2500 ft mountain climb every night coming home, you can't let the stock TBI drop below 5 grand or you get passed by Priuses with nauseating bumper stickers. Since the wifey ignores the tach red line and buzzes the motor to 7500 anyway, I figure I might as well build it to wail with lots of intake, cam, head, and exhaust and enjoy the 4500-8000 zone in a normally aspirated fashion.

So I've done a bench rebuild of a Canadian T3 top end, minus the turbo, gussied it up with detailing, and got her bolted on my hybrid 94 bottom end. The stock 94 gave me perfect 185 static compression in all 3 holes, so I have high hopes of singing the 7500 rpm song through a SuzukiRD header and a Walker Super Turbo muffler while hill climbing the Santa Cruz mountains once a day.

But first I gotta splice a 1990 harness, ecu, and sensors, into a 97 chassis, which is no small task. I have two T3 harnesses, in various states of disrepair, spliced into one nice unit. And two more 95-97 harnesses unwrapped and providing connectors. My intent is to have a "click in" hybrid T3 harness that requires NO cutting of the 97 chassis harnesses. That project is 80% complete now. Two years from now when it's time to smog, the original 97 engine harness will click back in with the entire one piece smog legal 97 top end (heads, intake, exhaust) and pass smog again with flying colors since it's got no more miles on it.

Oh yeah, before even lifting I hood, I killed an entire day dropping the gas tank to attempt installing a 90 GTi fuel pump into a 97 Metro tank. Need 43 psi. It's a big "NO GO". The hole in the metro tank is so small you can't fit nuthin but the tiny stock pump. Put all that back together, day's over, go drink beer. An aftermarket 55 psi pump from the corvair collection will have to go under the hood instead. Hope it doesn't blow the T3 fuel press regulator all to hell. I don't have any spares. BAck to the parts store for hi press fuel line and clamps.... sigh. Buy some more beer.

I thought pulling the 94 head/intake would be the easy part, till head bolt #5 said "No, I'm not moving". The impact wrench didn't budge it. I consulted with the Mullet, I tried the "useless patrol" over at team swift, drank some more beer, and decided I must be dead in the water. Drank some more beer and went back to bolt the TBI crap back together. Got pissed and attacked one more time, it popped loose. Not skill, just luck. Surprised I didn't twist the head off the bolt and end up like that pro over at teamswift who snapped 3 or 5 head bolts and trashed his block. Moving on...

Now that the T3 head/intake is on the block, I've matched all the hoses and vacuum lines. Same diameters, got lucky. My T3 intake wasn't tapped for A/C up idle, now it is. Failed to mention Lil Evil already has A/C and power steering. Adds some complexity to component location, needless to say. T3 adds Air Flow Meter and air filter box, but I've only got the AFM, have to fab filter box. Takes space I don't have, adds complexity.

So the battery is headed for the hatch back, relo costs north of a c-note to get it right, amazing how much 2 gauge costs these days by the foot. Turns out it's cheaper to buy a racing battery relocate kit that comes with cable and hold downs than it is to buy bulk cable with nothing else.

Amazing how big the engine bay gets with no battery or tray. Now there's room for the tiny Grand Caravan 3.3 air filter box. The stock T3 goes from TB to intercooler, I won't be going that route. Intake hoses dot com coughed up enough rubber parts to get from the AFM to the T3 throttle body. Some tractor radiator hose with 1.75 ID fits nicely to connect that much together. The remaining puzzle is interfacing the input end of the AFM with anything, particularly the air box. I got the top of the T3 airbox, but not the bottom. It continues to baffle me.

I'm also looking for cold air routes but even without the battery tray I got nuthin so far. I want a chrome trumpet in the bumper like Kyle has, but I've wasted hours at the junkyard tearing apart front ends looking for locations and getting nowhere. Got a rattle can of "Okie Chrome" waiting on the shelf when I find the magic though...

I'll post pics when I get to it. (when I get my camera back...)
Updates to follow. But tomorrow, back to work, vacation over...

95 Metro hatch "Tequila lime" losing "Lil Evil" drivetrain, getting a 3tech economy fresh engine, temporarily...
97 Geo Cultus 1.0 Lil Evil R.I.P. Dec 7 2010 crushed like a beer can on the freeway, totaled by the evil empire GEICO
91 Metro hatch to replace the early hatch that got totalled barely a year after the 97.
89 Suzuki Swift GTi, gutted, needs full suspension and T3 drivetrain, according to me.
92 Tracker 2 dr rwd stock
93 Sidekick 4 dr 1.9 vw TD, WVO conversion, 6" lift over 33's

2000Firefly1.3L
Elite Member

February 23rd, 2009, 7:03 am #2

nice read. the airbox is located under the passenger fender. unbolt this and you will find it and it can be removed. get some pipe and bend a cold-air intake with a cone-filter at the end. to remove the fender you will need to remove the bumper cover, door (unless you can figure out how to remove that one bolt) and the wiper blade plastic thing that goes infront of the windshield.
http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=25955
http://teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24322
Best junkyards in Fraser Valley area are Captain Crunch and Ralph's Empire in Abbotsford and Pick-a-Part in Chilliwack.

87octane
Advanced Member

February 23rd, 2009, 5:56 pm #3

Good suggestions. I did tear the front end and plastic liners off to evaluate all available space. The complication is the T3 throttle body faces the driver's side unlike the 4 banger manifolds, requiring a tough u-turn and snaking along the firewall to get back over to the passenger side fender well.
My current thinking is to relocate the windshield washer bottle to the passengers side and do something similar in the driver's side fender. Time to fire up the hole saw and go berserk.
95 Metro hatch "Tequila lime" losing "Lil Evil" drivetrain, getting a 3tech economy fresh engine, temporarily...
97 Geo Cultus 1.0 Lil Evil R.I.P. Dec 7 2010 crushed like a beer can on the freeway, totaled by the evil empire GEICO
91 Metro hatch to replace the early hatch that got totalled barely a year after the 97.
89 Suzuki Swift GTi, gutted, needs full suspension and T3 drivetrain, according to me.

2000Firefly1.3L
Elite Member

February 23rd, 2009, 8:12 pm #4

sorry im a little ignorant and only done work on MK5 1.3L . What's the T3 ?
Best junkyards in Fraser Valley area are Captain Crunch and Ralph's Empire in Abbotsford and Pick-a-Part in Chilliwack.

Woodie
Elite Member

February 24th, 2009, 10:32 am #5

Turbo 3 cylinder. They were available from the factory through about 91. Had a small turbo, knock sensor, and separate injectors for each cylinder. Put out 73 hp.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

87octane
Advanced Member

February 24th, 2009, 10:31 pm #6

My cell phone takes lousy pics but it's all I've got at the moment. Not sure if/where the pic will display on this screen though.

I spent some time studying the real turbo 3 air filter mods in galleries at teamswift and the ones I saw were a big round pipe welded flat against a square plate with a small square hole in the middle of the plate. A cone filter is clamped on the pipe. Sounds like an airflow nightmare so I'm back to the drawing board. The stock turbo 3 air box is a same side in, same side out, so that won't fit my plan either.
The inlet on the Air Flow Meter (AFM, also known as a Vane Air Flow VAF due to the primitive "barn door blowing open in the storm" construction) is a square 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches. Some quick math says total cross sectional area matches real nice to a round tube with a 1.75 ID. So I grabbed that 1.75 ID tractor radiator hose and squished it in the vice and measured a square about 1.5 inches across. Bingo. I'll just carve up a square hole in a plate of plastic that's 1.5 + 2 x wall thickness and epoxy the hose in. Round to square transition solved with no flow disruption (or money).
I'm kludging in a 110v block heater as long as the water hoses are off and system drained right now. Between the seat heater and an already warm engine, Lil Evil is gonna be a cadillac in a sardine can.

2000Firefly1.3L
Elite Member

February 24th, 2009, 11:19 pm #7

looks crazy

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

February 25th, 2009, 2:41 am #8

That's not too shabby of a pic for a cell phone :fon

Nice build you got going there 87octane. Looking forward to the progress :deal

metroschultz
Elite Member

February 25th, 2009, 6:05 pm #9

Saweeeeeet!
or as we used to say in the olden days,
Righteous!

87octane
Advanced Member

February 26th, 2009, 9:54 pm #10

Another night of quality time with wife # 2. Dropped the windshield washer reservior out of the drivers fender and glorious room appeared. Mocked up various intake tube rubber pieces, MAF, and filter box and everything fits with an inch here and inch there to spare.

Damned if that don't look almost factory. Now it's time to get concerned about the oval "outtie" from the air filter box to the square "innie" of the MAF. I've only got about 3 inches to work with there.

Need a piece of something to squish a round rubber tube into a square, like hard plastic. Where's that busted timing cover off the old dead 97 engine? In the dead parts box, of course. Never get around to taking this trash to the junkyard to free up space for more junkyard parts, so now it can serve a purpose. Measure a square hole, dremel it open, and shove the radiator hose in there. Looks stupid midway but you get the point:

Cut a big square around the little square and now it matches close enough to the MAF bolt pattern.
Now to mate 1.75 round to 2.5 oval. Was walking to the computer to order another rubber adapter hose from intakehoses.com when I spotted the stock Geo air filter hiding under the corvair with the stock rubber bellows. Hmmm, I wonder...
Yup, I can stretch the bellows over the outlet of the Chrysler Grand Caravan air box and shove the small end into my square plastic hole. And it's the right length, and will absorb all engine movement to frame. Pop goes the next beer!

On the intake side of the air box, some dremel cuts find a 2 1/2 stub inlet that fits all the various 2 1/2 intake tubes I've junkyard collected from small trucks and vans on half price day. A smooth radius 90 down into the fender through the squirter hole followed by a 2nd 90 aiming straight forward through sheetmetal and bumper shall get me to the ram air/cold air trumpet, painted in okie chrome, to intimidate real Mini's looking in their rear view mirrors. Get out of the way, yuppie scum!!!

Did I mention Lil Evil's license plate is "POS MINI" ? :evillol

Last edited by 87octane on February 27th, 2009, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.