Katie 97 1.3 auto

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 4:44 am #1

Well I am calling her Katie. I bought her from a gal who had it along time but the cost to pay the shop to change out the drive shaft was too much...I think the shop wanted around $500 to do the job.

I gave I think $450 for it I really tried to go $400 and probably could have got it for that but did not see that the headliner was bad. Battery is 5 years old but is holding a charge. Windscreen has a crack on the edge, and drivers side. Inside is fairly clean but for some food spots, dash is faded(you would think is was a 95) vent louvers most broken, factory AM/FM radio works, seat belts are good, no real tears in seats, window regulars work well, has AC :P , no rear hatch defrost :shake, 1st auto I have owned in a geo, clear coat is pealing, Starts and idles well, running a little warm...radiator may be plugged, have not heard the fan come on as yet. AC needs charged or more, Tires are pretty good shape no hub caps or wheel covers, pretty good dent in the rear quarter panel.

Engine is dusty oil leaks underneath but on top not bad, trans fluid is poor... need to change, will change oil and filter if needed.

DSCN0720.jpg
DSCN0719.jpg
DSCN0718.jpg
DSCN0717.jpg
DSCN0716.jpg
DSCN0715.jpg
DSCN0714.jpg
DSCN0713.jpg
DSCN0712.jpg
DSCN0720.jpg DSCN0719.jpg DSCN0718.jpg DSCN0717.jpg DSCN0716.jpg DSCN0715.jpg DSCN0714.jpg DSCN0713.jpg DSCN0712.jpg
Last edited by nwgeo on May 15th, 2018, 5:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
DD 97 Green Tambourine, 3/5, Black and green, Has AC.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 6:13 am #2

Oh, picture of the drive shaft I changed out after working a 12 hour day, took me maybe 40 minutes to change out.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

MR1 Kingsbury
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 10:17 am #3

that paint doesn't look all that bad in the pics...considering original age. I'm sure the peeling clearcoat makes it look hideous in spots, but I've seen a pretty nifty fix for worn CC on youtube/ you should search it out.
MR1 Kingsbury 96 1.3 Auto X2
SageBunny Rocks

smysmbrg
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 1:03 pm #4

I belive its the 98-2001 dashes that are the good ones that dont fade.
My 97 4/3 gets me about 30mpg runnin round the city delivering pizza and a 20 minute freeway commute.
I have seen the number 26 or less using the obd scanner on the freeway blasting 70mph or faster.
My 93 3/3 can get 36 mpg doing the same routine.
I Drive my autos once a week to work for a short shift to break up having to change gears all week on my all day shifts.

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 15th, 2018, 1:56 pm #5

MR1 Kingsbury wrote:that paint doesn't look all that bad in the pics...considering original age. I'm sure the peeling clearcoat makes it look hideous in spots, but I've seen a pretty nifty fix for worn CC on youtube/ you should search it out.
Thanks MR1,

I will try and find that fix on youtube

Yeah, I thought it might be good to have a auto incase I or a friend gets banged up and shifting is a problem.

Interesting to me that it seems the automatics have painted bumpers but the 3/5s have non painted unless you paid extra?

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 16th, 2018, 4:29 am #6

Come home after a long day... This is what I see greet me under the car I just worked on. Not just trans fluid but some antifreeze from under the water pump...can't see where the leak is for the anti freeze. Trans seal looks messed up.

Arugh, :smackface must have messed up the seal when installing the shaft. Do it all again, and a trip to Azone $5.59 for seal.

Okay got the old seal out...Did not think I messed it up but proof in the picture... seal was not crack or brittle.

And when working under there see the rad house bolts holding pipe are missing and one half of the bracket is gone and on further inspection the flex hose is against the trans and feels warn and floppy weak in that spot.

Running a little hot on idle fan came on and didn't seem to want to shut off... test drive... turned off the fan. :coffee

Check engine light is on.. :-/

DSCN0724.jpg
DSCN0723.jpg
DSCN0722.jpg
DSCN0721.jpg
Last edited by nwgeo on May 16th, 2018, 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 17th, 2018, 4:50 am #7

After work tonight...no leaks, yeah!! And removed foam from the head liner as needs new material and PO had already tore out the grey headliner material and just left the thin foam underneath.

Also, sprayed the dash with armor all... vents are ALL broken... why would someone break them all.

And got ready to clean out the very back and the spare tire was not right, so got the jack and lug wrench and tire all back in, board and carpet filler were in backward... fixed that, saw both nobs holding the rear seat are broken, need to get new ones.

Thanks all for tonight.
Last edited by nwgeo on May 17th, 2018, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ptcapboy
Elite Member

May 17th, 2018, 7:17 am #8

seems to be just a list of small things to fix i would think you got your money's worth at 450 dollars-I need a knob for my rear seat too, in the meantime I found a nut that fits on the end of the threaded shaft and am able to release the seat as designed-

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 19th, 2018, 3:24 am #9

Pictures of the paint, worse than you may have thought. Looked on utbe to see if could find a way to fix it...found a few different suggested ways to fix. :hmm

Looks to me like PO had something on the roof maybe a tarp, looks like lines across.

DSCN0726.jpg
DSCN0725.jpg
Last edited by nwgeo on May 19th, 2018, 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

suzukitom
Elite Member

May 30th, 2018, 7:42 am #10

that's a typical red Metro paint issue. The best car covers cant prevent that oxidation/delamination problem. It happens when moisture gets under the cover and the sun comes out. The heat lifts the not very UV resistant, thin clearcoats applied to red colored 95+ Metros.

on pre 95 cars like my red vert it's easy to correct with polish since it just fades, like most single stage enamel.