Installing timing belt g10

Iconn
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 4:09 am #1

:rocker :die I have done a number of these but is there an easy way to stretch the timing belt on? The idler pulley alwaysseems to be too tight if it is in the slot and even if it is loose. :smackface Thanks!

smysmbrg
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 4:31 am #2

I take the long stud bolt off so the thin adjuster guide so it can be pulled farther back than the adjustment off the slot. I also pushed the adjuster past the water pump casting line it hits bending it out slightly.
Even then its still been real tight to get on new belts. The tightest I belive I walked on the cam gear from the adjuster side and turning the gear clockwise while pushing the belt on.

sser2
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 5:03 am #3

One of the tricks in forcing the belt on sprockets is to keep as small edge as possible on both sprockets until all contacting upper teeth of cam sprocket are engaged progressively from right to left. Only after complete engagement the belt is pushed onto the sprockets little by little at different sprocket points.

Iconn
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 5:44 am #4

This calls for some special engineering. Maybe re-engineer the cam lever? I just got done making an engine roll around stand and a brace for my engine stand. After all I have two more of these to do! Thanks all. I think I used the "get the wife for a third hand" and had her turn the engine while I rolled it on. I think I tapped it gently with a rubber hammer.

nwgeo
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 7:23 am #5

I don't know...I have done several timing belts on the 1.0s, I just loosen the tensioner pulley, maybe even took the tensioning spring off, then I line my marks and then with the belt fully on the crank pulley I just slip an edge of the belt over just the edge of the cam pulley then just kind of work it on with a little pressure.

I did one on the side of the road one time, easy peaze nice and easy.
DD 97 Green Tambourine, 3/5, Black and green, Has AC.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Woodie
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 10:04 am #6

If it's that tight it's going to wear out the #1 cam bearing.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

geogonfa
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 12:23 pm #7

Just my .02¢... :type
Remove the Tensioner pulley, but leave the lever attached with the sliding 10mm head bolt/stud (snug the bolt, do not tighten it)...
line up the timing marks...
install the belt keeping the tension of the belt towards the exhaust side of the engine...
Then mount the tensioner making sure the levers notch lines up with the hole into the back of tensioner...
loosen lever, let the spring do it's job and tighten everything down...
Working to have Fun...
Vert in every color[/big][/big]

Stiffchezze
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 12:58 pm #8

:gp :+1

evmetro
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 7:17 pm #9

Woodie wrote:If it's that tight it's going to wear out the #1 cam bearing.
I have come across a few belts that are too small to work, and they are too tight in the loosest position. Indeed, these will do damage if used.

evmetro
Elite Member

May 11th, 2018, 7:21 pm #10

geogonfa wrote:Just my .02¢... :type
Remove the Tensioner pulley, but leave the lever attached with the sliding 10mm head bolt/stud (snug the bolt, do not tighten it)...
line up the timing marks...
install the belt keeping the tension of the belt towards the exhaust side of the engine...
Then mount the tensioner making sure the levers notch lines up with the hole into the back of tensioner...
loosen lever, let the spring do it's job and tighten everything down...
+1. I always push the tensioner to the loosest position, and then hand tighten the long bolt like you have described to hold the tensioner in the loosest position. It's a pain reassembling the tensioner against the belt if it has been removed.