Headliner Removal Guide

Oxxon

December 31st, 2008, 5:04 am #1

OK, so the headliner was starting to go on my 98 2dr LSI.

I removed the visors, the dome light and all of the plastic push pins I could find. Note the pin under the dome light.

I then removed the plastic trim. They pop off really easy but have sharp edges so beware.

I used this tool to remove the pins. Its used to remove door handles but it works great with the pins. I'm happy to say the I did not break a single pin.

Along with fixing the headliner I went ahead and replaced the factory rear speakers with some Wally World specials. I had to remove all the trim from inside the car. Make sure to find all of those pins like this one that was hiding under the carpet in the trunk area.

After I removed all of the trim parts from both sides of the car was finally able to remove the headliner. They used some glue to hold up the headliner. I was able to use a knife to cut the glue. I might have done the wrong thing but I just pulled on the headliner until it finally came off.

Here is the headliner but I had a small problem at the windshield.

This part of the headliner was glued to the windshield. I just used a box cutter and trimmed as close as I could to the edge.

This is a better look at the headliner where it was coming off.

I used some spray adhesive and some carpet from Wally World.

Due to the shape of the headliner I did run into some problems. This was my first try at this repair but I took my time and with some key cuts in the right place things worked out.

The roll carpet was long enough but not wide enough so I used 2 pieces cover all of the headliner.

While I let the adhesive dry I changed the speakers. I put the headliner back in. I used some adhesive just like they did in the factory so the headliner would stick to the roof of the car. I also made sure to make cuts in the carpet for visors, the domelight and the push pins.

This is in the back near the air vents.

Over all it was an easy job. Just take your time. It took me about 3 hours but I did also change the speakers so it took me longer. Also, the carpet I used is a bit thicker and did give me a few problems. I hope this helps.

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

December 31st, 2008, 11:22 am #2

Hey, that's a great Howto :)

Thank you for sharing. I am sure others will benefit from this.

woodman
Elite Member

December 31st, 2008, 1:08 pm #3

Hay GOOD job what kind of adhesive did you use to hold it to the metal roof? I asume you used some sort of contact adhesive for the carpet like 3M.
And what Metro has vents in the roof?
Avatar is a 12' wood boat I made and painted, has a 650 jetski drive.
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302 ... t/?start=0

ki4syr
Elite Member

December 31st, 2008, 1:22 pm #4

Nice job.

This past weekend I pulled the headliner from my '98 as well. Went through some of the pains you did with the glue.

I installed an NMO mount in the center of the roof for my amateur radio antenna. Nice little 3/8" hole direct in the center of the cab. This the 4th car I've done it in so far and no leaks. Nice professional installation with no coax showing.

On the Subaru and the '88 Sprint, I also drilled an 1" hole in the rear quarter fenders for a ball mount to support larger antennas. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
1994 Metro G10/auto 4door
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5x
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX

metromad
Elite Member

December 31st, 2008, 4:28 pm #5

woodman wrote:Hay GOOD job what kind of adhesive did you use to hold it to the metal roof? I asume you used some sort of contact adhesive for the carpet like 3M.
And what Metro has vents in the roof?
Definitely a good job! I am going to remove mine and take it to a local company that re-installs the original type headliner material but this one looks good. It will be interesting to see if your adhesive stays good over the long haul. Keep us posted.

Woodman, my daughters '96, my '97 and my son's (now mine since he bought a '98 Eclipse convertible) '98 Metro's all have 2 of those vents like in Oxxon's pic at the rear of their headliners, one each on the L.H. and R.H. side. They do not have any fan blown air going through them so I am unsure exactly what their function is.
Last edited by metromad on December 31st, 2008, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxxon

December 31st, 2008, 5:06 pm #6

Woodman, yes I used 3m contact adhesive.

I still wonder about the rear vents but I put them back in just incase the do serve a function.

metroschultz
Elite Member

January 1st, 2009, 2:25 am #7

The vents you are referring to let the air out.
I know it sounds fishy.
The newer models are sealed much better than the older ones.
When they were new......
If you turn the blower on high, you would actually get positive pressure in the cabin.
Those vents release that pressure so your ears won't "!PoP!"
Given the age of these vehicle now That is probably not an issue.

Johnny Mullet
Elite Member

January 1st, 2009, 3:13 am #8

Those vents also make it easier for the door to close when all the windows are up :)

BTW, mt dad is a ham. KA3MHM

ki4syr
Elite Member

January 1st, 2009, 1:00 pm #9

Johnny Mullet wrote:BTW, mt dad is a ham. KA3MHM
...and your not?

Heh, that's great though. Us Hams are getting few and far between. Glad to see some knowledge of the hobby.

1994 Metro G10/auto 4door
2010 Subaru Forester 2.5x
2010 Subaru Impreza WRX

woodman
Elite Member

January 1st, 2009, 3:08 pm #10

I see those little bugers now :lol never noticed them before...

And what type of cement used to hold it to the metal roof (liquid nails you would never get it off)
Last edited by woodman on January 1st, 2009, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar is a 12' wood boat I made and painted, has a 650 jetski drive.
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302 ... t/?start=0