Cheekyta gets Boost.

clarkdw
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 1:50 am #1

Many of you have seen Cheekyta, my 93 vert in my sig. Here she is when I first got her.

Since then I have added seats from a GT.

I added a race ported cylinder head and 222/365 3Tech cam.

Wheels, GT swaybars, front and rear, cut GT springs and kyb shocks. Here is how she looks now.

Cheekyta is a southern U.S. transplant that has led a pampered life. No rust and only 62k miles when I got her. Now about 78k miles and runs better than new.

Well having been in racing and around modified cars all my life I couldn't leave well enough alone. With 3Tech Mike pushing me on I decided to up the ante a little. I could have found a turbo 3 drivetrain and done a swap but that is just not me. I have always taken the road less traveled so when I saw a small supercharger on ebay I mulled it over for a little while, talked to Mike and then made the plunge.

Here it is. 0.5 litres/rev, maximum continuous 16k rpm, max intermittent 18k rpm. Perfect for what I want and very compact.

This supercharger was available in the Nissan March Super Turbo in 1989. It had both super and turbo charging on a 930cc 4 cyl engine. and was rated at about 110 hp. This is what it looked like. Thanks to http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAG ... turbo.html for the pic and information.

This is likely to be a long term project as I have to do it as funds and time become available. Doing the cylinder heads for 3Tech takes up much of my downtime. I will keep plugging away at it. I hope to keep Cheekyta summer drivable till the project is ready to bolt on.

Stiffchezze
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 2:23 am #2

:drool
What did you give for it? :popcorn
Last edited by Stiffchezze on November 29th, 2013, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

clarkdw
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 2:35 am #3

I got a lot more accomplished on the project than I ever thought I would today.

I spent some time earlier this year trying to figure out a mounting method for the supercharger. I saw an A/C compressor mount in a pic here on GMF and though that I might be able to adapt the mount to fit the supercharger. Unfortunately, there are very, very few, if any, A/C equipped cars here in Ontario. You just don't need it in an econobox here.

Well, I put a wanted post on GMF and our good friend Geo Glenn offered me an A/C mount at a ridiculously low price. Did I tell you what a great guy he is? :D

Here's the mount. It has all the hardware and an idler with good bearing. Did I mention that GG is a super guy?

So I bolted the mount to the block I will be using for the engine build going in to Cheekyta just to see how it fits.

Well I thought that the supercharger looked like it might fit ok so I bolted it to the mount and checked the alignment of the pullies. A straight edge clamped to the crankshaft pulley showed that the supercharger is out of alignment by one groove width. Literally, looks like it was designed to fit on. I could run it as is using a three groove belt. It will be a very simple matter to machine the mount and supercharger the small amount required to fit a four groove belt. The belt length is the same as the alternator belt so that is easy to find.

Here is the supercharger test mounted to the front of the bare block with crank and pulley for test fit. I installed the front engine mount to check for clearance. I will cut and modify the top tab on the A/C bracket to allow the supercharger to move even closer to the engine mount bracket.

As I said, the alignment is very close. I need to move the blower forward about 0.200" to get it perfect. That is the discharge tube facing up beside the engine mount. The inlet is facing forward. Mechanically mounting the supercharger could not be easier. The A/C bracket and blower were made for each other.

I dug around in my spares to find a double pulley to drive the blower. Cheekyta currently is running an underdrive single pulley. I will be switching the engine over to 93-95 round tooth cam sprockets for a number of reasons. First to give me a commonality between Cheekyta and Littlest Hobo. I can keep a spare timing belt that will work on either car. The second reason is that I have modified Littlest Hobo's cam sprocket for adjustability and would like to do the same for this engine. The stamped steel sprocket is just not as easy to mod that way. Maybe a how-to when I do the next cam sprocket? I have no pics of when I did the last and I am too lazy to tear the sprocket off for that.

I found two five bolt crankshaft pullies that I can use. One will give me approx 1.5 ovedrive on the blower and the other will be about 1.7. I will start out with the 1.5 till I get fuelling and controls worked out and then maybe try the larger one to see what kind of power it will give.

Before fitting this all to the block it went in to the ultrasonic cleaner for a clean up and prep for fitting new pistons and other goodies. I can't fit the block completely in the cleaner but I can flip it and get the whole thing squeaky clean.

clarkdw
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 2:35 am #4

Stiffchezze wrote::drool
What did you give for it? :popcorn
It was just under $300 shipped.

Stiffchezze
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 5:02 am #5

Not bad! :thumb
My first thought was the a/c bracket (great minds and all ;) ) but the more I look, maybe move the alternator to the a/c bracket and the supercharger to the alternator location?

May not be worth the trouble, but the mount closest to the pulley on the supercharger looks just like the alternator mount. :hmm
Maybe use the CS130 bracket?

Is it turning the right direction? :popcorn :popcorn

ZXTjato
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 5:23 am #6

Wow, what people do to the geo is amazing. Campers, turbo cars, mpg cars, sport cars, racers and now supercharged...amazing car
Technological Disobedience

2000Firefly1.3L
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 5:26 am #7

this will be a sweet project. i would like to buy it as a kit later if you decide to take it off some day.
Best junkyards in Fraser Valley area are Captain Crunch and Ralph's Empire in Abbotsford and Pick-a-Part in Chilliwack.

clarkdw
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 5:37 am #8

Stiffchezze wrote:Not bad! :thumb
My first thought was the a/c bracket (great minds and all ;) ) but the more I look, maybe move the alternator to the a/c bracket and the supercharger to the alternator location?

May not be worth the trouble, but the mount closest to the pulley on the supercharger looks just like the alternator mount. :hmm
Maybe use the CS130 bracket?

Is it turning the right direction? :popcorn :popcorn
Not quite enough room where the alternator is for the SC. I am planning on using an intercooler so the piping will have to run to the front anyway so it is probably better up there.

It is turning the correct direction.
Last edited by clarkdw on November 29th, 2013, 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonsofun1223
Advanced Member

November 29th, 2013, 6:27 am #9

i like where your head is.. I was building my motor to turbo it but now... may be using your idea soon.
1996 3/5 with '99 motor/trans. Currently rebuilding 96 Motor/trans Possibly going turbo. Spray bombed flat black with Burnt orange copper wheels.

razr769
Elite Member

November 29th, 2013, 3:20 pm #10

Love it! Glad to see this project getting off the ground. Keep it up Clark!
My turbo project thread - From paint job to turbo 3 swap and upgrades!