chads4dr
Elite Member

December 17th, 2009, 5:53 pm #21

Potter wrote:Lookin good Chad :thumb keep up the good work with that 4dr speed deamon!!!!

I still chalange you to a race at next years Geopalooza!!!
i might beat ya!!! Im getting the even lumpier 365/222 cam soon too :) and were porting the exhaust manifold to match my awesomely ported 3tech head :)
Last edited by chads4dr on December 17th, 2009, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chads4dr
Elite Member

December 29th, 2009, 5:34 am #22

*************************UPDATE***********************
Well lots and lots of buying :) Here is my checklist for parts and what I've bought.

Rebuild Checklist For Metro

__Bought?________________Item________________Where From________________Cost

____YES____________Complete Gasket Set_______partsdinosaur.com_____________$60
____YES____________FELPRO Headgasket________rockauto.com_________________$45
____YES____________Rod bearings______________partsdinosaur.com_____________$17
____YES____________Main bearings_____________partsdinosaur.com______________$22
____YES____________Thrust bearings____________partsdinosaur.com______________$7
____YES____________Timing belt________________partsdinosaur.com______________$14
____YES____________Timing belt tensioner________partsdinosaur.com______________$29
____YES____________Water pump_______________partsdinosaur.com______________$30
____NO_____________3tech headbolts___________teamswift.net/3tech_____________$30
____NO_____________Permatex gasket spray______various sources________________$10

All these things above are required for my build. The things below were optional but I wanted them. The reason I wanted the 4cyl flywheel is because it is much lighter than the 3cyl flywheel, and it has a larger clutch disk, so its a win win, and a direct bolt on!

____YES____________Denso OEM O2 Sensor_______rockauto.com__________________$100
____YES____________Flywheel from 4cyl__________EBAY_________________________$40
____YES____________Sachs 4cyl Clutch Kit_________rockauto.com__________________$110
____YES____________Motor Mounts (2 of 3)________rockauto.com__________________$50
____YES____________Coolant Hoses______________rockauto/autozone_____________$20

These items below are my "wish list items". Its not priorty to get these items but they are definatly wanted later on after the engine is done!

____NO____________Suzukird underdrive pulley_____suzukird.com__________________$100
____NO____________Gauge pod for A/F & boost_____suzukird.com__________________$100
____NO____________C/V Shafts (both)____________rockauto.com__________________$130
____NO____________Grounding Kit_______________ebay.com_____________________$20
____NO____________KYB GR2 shocks/struts x4______rockauto.com__________________$200
____NO____________PCV catchcan________________ebay.com_____________________$20
____NO____________H&R 1.4/1.3 lowering springs____hrsprings.com_________________$210

STILL NEED TO DO:

1. Ship my spare cams out to Mike @3tech for credit towards the 365/222 cam and headbolts!
2. Call local machine shops to get an estimate to press my new pistons onto the rods
3. Get with my uncle and hone my cylinder block
4. Clean block real good and paint (gloss black)
5. Clean and sand valve cover and paint (unknown color)
6. When engine is out: paint engine bay with rust converter, and then paint with rubberized coating
Last edited by chads4dr on December 29th, 2009, 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Murf 59
Elite Member

December 29th, 2009, 5:48 am #23

Looks great Chad, let me know how you like that cam. I have the same one for the Starr. But its gonna still be a while before its all assy. And even longer till I can get somewheres to really open it up. But mine is gonna be 12.5 to1. And 77mm bore. Looks great though
A 13.5 to 1 G10. With GTi twin cam pistons. Performance head package work sponsored by our friends at 3Tech.
A set of 4.38s set up as a 4 spd. MSD ignition, and a Weber card on top. It has a SRD header on the bottom side.
I run a Glow shift tach, and a HF vacuum gauge.
This engine is still in the works. I have all the pieces, but am not able to get the energy to assemble it.

This is what it looks like running at Bonneville from the front seat of a Geo Metro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOcWzyzyjPw

chads4dr
Elite Member

December 29th, 2009, 5:52 am #24

Mr Murf 59 wrote:Looks great Chad, let me know how you like that cam. I have the same one for the Starr. But its gonna still be a while before its all assy. And even longer till I can get somewheres to really open it up. But mine is gonna be 12.5 to1. And 77mm bore. Looks great though
dang 12.5:1!!! I have no idea what mine would be, I'm using the stock bore, and I know the head was milled probably once or twice when z34 had it, maybe three total if it was milled when 3tech made it! I hope its not too high though, because I want to do some low boost later on (possible buying z34's turbo setup in a month!)

Murf 59
Elite Member

December 29th, 2009, 10:48 am #25

When I was talking with my machinest, he said that for every .020 milled off it raises the comp .5 points. The stock comp ratio is 9.5 to 1. If you are going to turbo the engine, start from the ground up. Supercharges, turbos, nitrous are all really hard on the internals. So balancing them in critical. Getting them just right is really hard. I hope that I am not boning myself on my build. If you have Qs PM me. It may take a bit to get back, but I will. I now have limited access to the net. I E only at work. If your head is cut to much, you can get a head shim from the same place that made my .090 copper head gasket. Keep an eye on the oil return hole. It appears to be the same as the non updated FelPro's. I think BB left a link on the Dark Starr thead. Its Innovative
A 13.5 to 1 G10. With GTi twin cam pistons. Performance head package work sponsored by our friends at 3Tech.
A set of 4.38s set up as a 4 spd. MSD ignition, and a Weber card on top. It has a SRD header on the bottom side.
I run a Glow shift tach, and a HF vacuum gauge.
This engine is still in the works. I have all the pieces, but am not able to get the energy to assemble it.

This is what it looks like running at Bonneville from the front seat of a Geo Metro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOcWzyzyjPw

chads4dr
Elite Member

December 31st, 2009, 5:36 am #26

:stoner
Last edited by chads4dr on February 24th, 2010, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodie
Elite Member

December 31st, 2009, 11:56 am #27

It's not less displacement because the sucking is all done by the area of the piston top and the distance it moves up and down. You haven't changed that. The difference between 9.5 and 10.5/1 compression is pretty big though (10%), that's going to make a lot more power (5hp?). You're going to be more prone to engine knock though, won't stand as much timing advance as a stock engine.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

chads4dr
Elite Member

December 31st, 2009, 5:34 pm #28

ok thanks Woodie!!!

Coche Blanco
Elite Member

December 31st, 2009, 5:40 pm #29

So what makes more power? low comp + high advance or high comp + low advance...
1993 3/5 2dr Hatch 'The White One' (SOLD)
1995 4/5 4dr Sedan 'Gumby' (SOLD)
1993 3/3 Convertible 'Impulse' (SOLD)
1993 3/5 Convertible 'Impulse V2.0' (SOLD)
1998 4/5 2dr Hatch 'TBD'
[+] Spoiler
Transmission Ratios Explained
Resize your pictures
Make your base Metro an XFi
Easy headlight upgrade
Search

Potter
Elite Member

December 31st, 2009, 10:49 pm #30

wow looking at what all your gonna be doing to yours..... is already what im saveing up to do to mine.... although your going for boost. down the road im thinking of boreing and strokeing the engine... since they make a stroker crank. but thats after i change the ECU out and either switch up to high compresion pistions or lower compression and boost it :hmm . keep up the good work bud!!! :thumb
Sophia
1994 base 1.0 High Output.
Sophias project thread CLICK HERE
Taylor
1989 Swift Gti 1.3L big block twin cam
Taylors project thread CLICK HERE
Frankie
2001 Ford Focus Zx3 2.0l Zetech
Ford Racing, Comp/Crower cams, Massive Speed System, CFM performance
Fswerks Performance, SCT tuning.
Race/build thread CLICK HERE.

R.I.P Sara, we won't forget you http://medicdoom.com/