bkelly
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 2:48 am #71

It's almost ready to go back into the car. Block and head is painted on VHT cast iron, oil pan, brackets, and intake is in gloss black. Pulleys and cam sprocket is VHT silver with red metal cast topcoat. Finished with black wrinkle paint on the valve cover.

Last edited by bkelly on October 27th, 2014, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fun is like life insurance; the older you get, the more it costs.

bkelly
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 2:50 am #72

It's almost ready to go back into the car. Block and head is painted in VHT cast iron, oil pan, brackets, and intake is in gloss black. Pulleys and cam sprocket is VHT silver with red metal cast topcoat. Finished with black wrinkle paint on the valve cover.

j

t3ragtop
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 2:56 am #73

very cool! ;)
Reformed Elitist Prick!

snowfish
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 12:21 pm #74

Sure Looks pretty. ^o) You did use the large vent hole head gasket, right? :news There are concerns with your valve cover to block connection. :hmm Can explain more if you like. :type

Be sure to do a first fire video. :popcorn
............I'll be back in a bit........

IC3

sphenicie
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 1:14 pm #75

bkelly wrote:This will be my solution to oil farts.

I'm going to run a line from the crankcase to the valve cover to balance the pressures. I have the PCV blocked off and will run a catch can.

?
?
?

oil farts? wa wa what?

running a line from the crank case to the v/c, what?

blocked off PCV, wa wa what?

you do understand, that PCV does NOT stand for PASSIVE Crankcase Ventilation?

your 'catch can' must have POSITIVE crankcase ventilation.

sphenicie
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 1:18 pm #76

WHY DO YOU EXPECT TO HAVE O/F'S?

such a nice pretty build, do you know for a fact that your cam journal bores are out of spec? are you using a worn out cam?

bkelly
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 5:15 pm #77

snowfish wrote:Sure Looks pretty. ^o) You did use the large vent hole head gasket, right? :news There are concerns with your valve cover to block connection. :hmm Can explain more if you like. :type

Be sure to do a first fire video. :popcorn
sphenicie wrote:
bkelly wrote:This will be my solution to oil farts.

I'm going to run a line from the crankcase to the valve cover to balance the pressures. I have the PCV blocked off and will run a catch can.

?
?
?

oil farts? wa wa what?

running a line from the crank case to the v/c, what?

blocked off PCV, wa wa what?

you do understand, that PCV does NOT stand for PASSIVE Crankcase Ventilation?

your 'catch can' must have POSITIVE crankcase ventilation.

Its more of a preemptive approach, and it’s very possible this engine will also see boost and a new cam profile in the future. I know Subaru runs a crankcase to head vent in their boosted engines.

Its overkill but I would rather keep it equal rather than positive in the future.

I will use the stock PCV port in the valve cover to run to a vent to atmosphere catch can. The PCV port is tapped so I can remove the plug at any time and install a PCV if need be (no emission laws here)

This is a fresh build so I’m not worried about blow by, right now it’s an added air vent for the head to block for oil flow. The cam spec was good and I have the oil restrictor in the block. I know some people with OF’s would pull the dipstick to solve the OF issues.

Worn cams may be the issue but I had the parts laying around so I figured I would try it. If it doesn’t work I can cap the AN fittings.

If someone thinks different please express your thoughts.

t3ragtop
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 9:50 pm #78

your plan to equalize crankcase pressure with the valve cover is used by many track cars (g13b twincams.) i do not see any problem with doing what you are doing. it's the hot ticket for any boosted engine. even with new rings and good compression a boosted engine can push cylinder pressure past the rings and pump up the crankcase pressure.

i think you're good to go. ;)
Reformed Elitist Prick!

bkelly
Elite Member

October 27th, 2014, 9:57 pm #79

t3ragtop wrote:your plan to equalize crankcase pressure with the valve cover is used by many track cars (g13b twincams.) i do not see any problem with doing what you are doing. it's the hot ticket for any boosted engine. even with new rings and good compression a boosted engine can push cylinder pressure past the rings and pump up the crankcase pressure.

i think you're good to go. ;)
Who knows what could be in the cars future :whistle

Last edited by bkelly on October 27th, 2014, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sphenicie
Elite Member

October 28th, 2014, 12:50 pm #80

it certainly will not hurt to run an extra line from top to bottom. i see little gain, outside some race application (long term high rpm) or high boost. BUT, without the POSITIVE part of the PCV you will actually increase internal pressures. it is the pcv connection to the vacuum created at the manifold that 'sucks' ie vacuums out the gasses.

vent= passive . like a vacuum cleaner w/ switch off. or a partially clogged pcv.

manifold vacuum= positive . switch on !

you would get far more cc gasses removed by increasing the capacity of the PCV line and valve. OR, running your bottom end line into the POSITIVE crankcase ventilation system.

you can run a line from the top of your catch can, to avoid sucking raw oil, to the pcv system, thereby maintaining the POSITIVE part of PCV.