t3ragtop
Elite Member

August 20th, 2018, 9:55 pm #11

Holy crap!!!!!

You Luddites still have cassettes that actually work?

MP3s on flash drives and bluetooth for streaming Pandora for the win! :whistle
Reformed Elitist Prick!

MR1 Kingsbury
Elite Member

August 20th, 2018, 11:04 pm #12

I like my old cassette recordings... awesome vinyl transferred to TDK-SAX using Fisher studio standard 3 headed cassette deck.
MR1 Kingsbury 96 1.3 Auto X2
SageBunny Rocks

t3ragtop
Elite Member

August 20th, 2018, 11:41 pm #13

I have hundreds of vintage lps and cassette tapes as well as boxes of reel to reel tapes and around 700 cds.

I spent several winters transcribing all of it to mp3 format to save the data on computer hard drives. I can move it to flash drives to make it portable and solid state. Digital formats don't skip, jam, or scratch. Also, unlike tapes you have direct access to the entire flash drive without endless spooling through tape.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly like digital files for traveling in my car. When I'm at home I have a couple of Bang and Olufsen turntables and vintage high end stereo gear for spinning albums. My choice of formats goes back to magnetic wire recorders, tape, and even mini-disc. I've been an active audiophile for easily 45 years and an engaged electrical engineer since 1980, among the first to design and build line level active crossovers for high power subwoofers. That blossomed into concert type sound re-inforcement systems that were tri-amped running 10s of thousands of watts.

Most of my old cassettes, though recorded on high quality tapes, suffer from "print through" and aren't easily listened to any more. My best cassette deck, a Nakamichi Dragon, doesn't compare favorably any more to a $16 flash drive and a USB port. ;)
Last edited by t3ragtop on August 20th, 2018, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reformed Elitist Prick!

t3ragtop
Elite Member

August 21st, 2018, 12:05 am #14

The aux cassette is probably popping back out due to interference with the pin that comes up through the plastic case when the head tries to move into position. There are several mechanical sensors that tell the machine what type of compact cassette is trying to load, one on a corner and 2 on the mechanism that pops the head up when you hit the play button. ;)

Have you tried another type of cassette adapter?
Reformed Elitist Prick!

mt999999
Elite Member

August 21st, 2018, 5:14 am #15

t3ragtop wrote:Holy crap!!!!!

You Luddites still have cassettes that actually work?

MP3s on flash drives and bluetooth for streaming Pandora for the win! :whistle
Mine didn't come with a cassette deck. I typically just use AM/FM, but the most technology I will do is a vintage click-wheel iPod with MP3's plugged into afore-posted modded Aux jack. ;)
My XFi - First Metro - Daily Driver/Project
My Convertible - Summer Project Car - SOLD
Parts Car - 1997 3/5 Parts For Sale!

"Many a memorable tale has its roots in bad judgment. Bad judgment and Craigslist." -Car and Driver