93 Vert Sound Deadening - 8" Sub & Speakers

Geoinwv

May 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm #1

Doing some work to the Vert. When we bought the car the speakers were trashed and the head unit wasn't much better. Easy enough to fix. I replaced the radio and speakers with the following:
Kenwood DXP530BT
Rockford Fosgate R165X3 6.5" - Rear
Rockford Fosgate R14X2 4" - Front

For sound deadening I saw in here this stuff works pretty good. I can vouch for that!
Rockmat 50 sqft Butyl Rubber

First I installed the speakers as they arrived first and that what I had time to do. It was a family project.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBs18PtvOWUzOi672Installing Speakers

The install went easy enough. This is my 3rd metro so I have done this before and its a Metro- these cars are just simple to work on and that is why I now have a 3rd one.

Once the install was done, I just didnt have the bass I was looking for. I know back of the 6.5" speakers are open due to the Vert's design, that has to reduce the bass that can be pushed. With my 1st metro I scored two (FREE) 10" sub's with 2-200w amps. A ladies son had them, and left for school and didn't want them. Originally they fit behind a truck seat, I cut the box down and deleted an amp, then it fit great in the back of the metro!

Today, I don't need that. I just want something I can enjoy and not worry about someone "needing" my speakers worse than me when I park with the top down.

The Solution:
Rockville SS8P 400w Underseat Subhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079P ... UTF8&psc=1

At $90 I liked the price and the dimensions! As my kids point out, I'm an old man, what business do I have pushing massive bass. While it would be fun, my ears just wont take it anymore.

We stripped out the interior of the the car which was very simple.
Carpet Only
Stripped to the Metal

I was very happy how clean the bottom of the car was exp for a Vert!!!!
Anywho, I ran the power wires on the drivers side following the existing wiring and RCA's down the passenger side. Next the sound deadening went over the interior. I took photo's (Well I thought I did) but I can't find them on my phone now. Yes I know, I added some extra weight for an already heavy metro but the sound deadening really made it worth it!

Sub Fitment:
The sub fits right under the passenger seat! Yes, you have to pull the seat in order to install it, but you also have to pull the seat to steal it. The passenger gets a great ride, and vibrations from the sub! :rocker I have to admit, I am really impressed by the amount of bass this will 8" sub puts out. No, you not going to shake the rust of your car, but it really does a VERY decent job for an 8" sub that cannot be stolen and is totally hidden.
IMG_20180424_165436.jpg
IMG_20180424_165436.jpg
Last edited by Geoinwv on May 13th, 2018, 4:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.