2nd gear synchro gone

98chevymetro
Elite Member

March 17th, 2011, 1:37 pm #1

How hard is it to replace synchros in a transmission? I've never taken one apart before but my 2nd gear synchro is toast. I've been double clutching to get from 3,4 or 5th into 2nd gear. That's the only option if I'm traveling at faster than 15 mph to downshift into 2nd. It shifts ok from 1st to 2nd but not from 3rd to 2nd. I've also noticed lately that the trans is just harder to shift all together. Takes longer to get into gear and it's not very smooth either.

I see a guy on craigslist who offers transmissions rebuilt (as well as engines) for like $1,000 plus your core and he says he inspects all the synchros and gears and replaces them if they're worn but for that kind of money I think he should replace them all. I would rather try to tackle it myself than fork out $1,000 and my transmission.

mcmancuso
Elite Member

March 17th, 2011, 2:22 pm #2

you will need a 12 ton press or the like to get the gears off the shafts, but other than that its a manageable project theres a guide here:
http://geometroforum.com/topic/1387687

Get current Auto parts coupons here: https://www.facebook.com/MattsAutoDiscounts

Woodie
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 2:40 am #3

If you're going faster than 15 mph, you have no business downshifting into second.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

pcss
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 2:54 am #4

Mine was the same but I got lucky and paid $200 shipped for an xfi transmission from a member that had 120,000 miles on it. Still shifting great. You can rebuild yours but have a big work area so you can spread everything out. Take your time.

Spock
Elite Member
Spock
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 3:00 am #5

98chevymetro wrote:How hard is it to replace synchros in a transmission? I've never taken one apart before but my 2nd gear synchro is toast. I've been double clutching to get from 3,4 or 5th into 2nd gear. That's the only option if I'm traveling at faster than 15 mph to downshift into 2nd. It shifts ok from 1st to 2nd but not from 3rd to 2nd. I've also noticed lately that the trans is just harder to shift all together. Takes longer to get into gear and it's not very smooth either.

I see a guy on craigslist who offers transmissions rebuilt (as well as engines) for like $1,000 plus your core and he says he inspects all the synchros and gears and replaces them if they're worn but for that kind of money I think he should replace them all. I would rather try to tackle it myself than fork out $1,000 and my transmission.
The 12 ton press is excessive, but yes you absolutely need a press. The 120 dollar press from harbor freight is all you need. You will need the gear holder thing that goes along with the press as well.

For 1000 bucks you could buy 8-10 junkyard geo transmissions. That kind of money to rebuild a Geo metro transmission is outrageous. It's a fair price for a BMW 7 series transmission, but this is a GEO METRO we are talking about.

I say dive right in and go to town on that transmission. It's pretty easy, but labor intensive. It took me almost 2 hours just to pull my transmission OUT of the car, so figure several days from start to finish. When I rebuilt my transmission it took me about a week, but I really took it slow and took a lot of pictures. I highly recommend a digital camera so you can go back and look at how things come apart when you are trying to put things back together.

Figure 175 for the transmission kit. Another 100 for the clutch and I don't know what a rear main seal goes for cause I left mine alone, but you should knock that out too while you are in there.

LOCTITE EVERYTHING! Loose bolts in there can really wreck stuff with a quickness.

Good luck, let us know if you need help. Many of us have been there, done that and took some pictures.

95-3banger
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 3:54 am #6

I'm doing this right now. The pinion shaft has to come apart to fix 2nd gear and it is a chore to press apart. It took anywhere from 8-10 tons. I had to buy a 3" bearing separator plate to use with my press. I used two pieces of sheet aluminum to cushion the gears cuz I didn't want any chipped teeth on my gears! I replaced 2nd gear and the shift hub as they were both pretty worn out. We lost 1st gear earlier and had been using 2nd to stop the gears and get it in first. Bad idea!

Last edited by 95-3banger on March 18th, 2011, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coche Blanco
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 4:39 pm #7

Woodie wrote:If you're going faster than 15 mph, you have no business downshifting into second.
:gp
1993 3/5 2dr Hatch 'The White One' (SOLD)
1995 4/5 4dr Sedan 'Gumby' (SOLD)
1993 3/3 Convertible 'Impulse' (SOLD)
1993 3/5 Convertible 'Impulse V2.0' (SOLD)
1998 4/5 2dr Hatch 'TBD'
[+] Spoiler
Transmission Ratios Explained
Resize your pictures
Make your base Metro an XFi
Easy headlight upgrade
Search

98chevymetro
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 4:56 pm #8

Well what about when you turn onto a side street in town going and you are coming from 3rd gear, you're not going to keep going in third gear at 15mph are you? The point is, 2nd gear is not easily accessible when it's needed and it's needed quite frequently. You don't realize it until it doesn't work. I'm afraid to let anyone drive my car because it'll probably cause an accident. I had to let my mom borrow it every other weekend to pick up my niece way up north and I warned her about it. When she came back I asked her if she noticed it and she did so it's definitely inconvenient.

8-10 tons! wow well presses are nice to have, especially if you need to do things like this or wheel bearings.

98chevymetro
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 4:57 pm #9

So chevy sells a rebuild kit? Anybody got a part number on that?

mcmancuso
Elite Member

March 18th, 2011, 5:45 pm #10

98chevymetro wrote:Well what about when you turn onto a side street in town going and you are coming from 3rd gear, you're not going to keep going in third gear at 15mph are you? The point is, 2nd gear is not easily accessible when it's needed and it's needed quite frequently. You don't realize it until it doesn't work. I'm afraid to let anyone drive my car because it'll probably cause an accident. I had to let my mom borrow it every other weekend to pick up my niece way up north and I warned her about it. When she came back I asked her if she noticed it and she did so it's definitely inconvenient.

8-10 tons! wow well presses are nice to have, especially if you need to do things like this or wheel bearings.
Learn to rev-match and/or double clutch. If you're doing hard downshifting like that you should be doing this even if the sychros are good, this type of downshifting is what kills them.

Get current Auto parts coupons here: https://www.facebook.com/MattsAutoDiscounts