GeoStalker
Elite Member

April 18th, 2013, 11:48 am #51

I called the guy who picked up the donor car.....he had already cut the framehorns out and attached them to his car and was getting ready to junk the rest. He agreed to take the brake booster off and will have it ready for me to pickup tomorrow morning.
My 1991 Geo Metro convertible--nicknamed Red Rain

Whiteboard Salvation Video

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

GeoStalker
Elite Member

April 19th, 2013, 1:34 am #53

Today I replaced the hood (the other one was dented) and removed the windshield, which was massively spiderwebbed. The glass company is coming out in the morning to put a new one in, and I wanted to get a headstart on treating some rust on the window frame before they did. I also made significant headway into removing the dash so I can get the new one in.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

GeoStalker
Elite Member

April 19th, 2013, 5:50 pm #54

Discount Auto Glass was coming out today, so I decided to remove the window myself and treat some of the rust around the outside of the frame. After removing the glass, cleaning up the old rubber sealant, and grinding down the rust, I treated it with some rustoleum paint. This is a shot after grinding and paint. My boy David was cleaning up water on the floorboard from where it had rained last night and is in the shot.

About 4 hours later, while I was at work, the glass people came out and put in the new windshield. When I first walked up on it I could barely tell....it was so clear!

Next tasks; 1) finish removing dash, 2) replace brake booster, 3) finish gutting out interior, including headliner, 4) complete the restoration of the driver side floorboard, 5) grind out exterior rust on rockers, 6) fill rockers with Great Stuff foam (for help in bondo//fiberglass forming), 7) complete rocker bondo/fiberglass treatment, sand and prime, 8) reinsert new carpet, panels (after they've been painted), and backseat, 9) install 'new' dashboard (from donor car), 10) install new headliner and trim.

dayle1960
Elite Member

April 19th, 2013, 10:45 pm #55

I think you messed up. Just my opinion, though. If you are going to paint the car with a Maaco job, then you should have stripped the car down to it's shell and pushed it to the painters. That way you could have taken your time to get all of the nooks and crannies rust free.

Are you in a rush to get the car on the road? If yes, then I can see why you are doing the rehab in such a manner. Personally, with the rust problems in your area, I would have taken the time to do a full restore, at least with the paint job.

I just hope in the future you won't be saying, "doh, I wish I would have done it better."

If it gets less than 45mpg, throw it out and start over again.
When you pass 50mpg, smile, you've done something right.

GeoStalker
Elite Member

April 20th, 2013, 2:28 am #56

dayle1960 wrote:I think you messed up. Just my opinion, though. If you are going to paint the car with a Maaco job, then you should have stripped the car down to it's shell and pushed it to the painters. That way you could have taken your time to get all of the nooks and crannies rust free.

Are you in a rush to get the car on the road? If yes, then I can see why you are doing the rehab in such a manner. Personally, with the rust problems in your area, I would have taken the time to do a full restore, at least with the paint job.

I just hope in the future you won't be saying, "doh, I wish I would have done it better."
It's not a Bentley, Dayle. Maaco paint will be just fine.

GeoStalker
Elite Member

April 20th, 2013, 2:50 am #57

Today I got the dash out. I won't put the new one in until I complete the floorboard and headliner replacements.

I also replaced the brake booster. I documented the entire process with a ton of pictures and may create a HOW TO if anyone is interested. Pretty straightforward, although 1 of the 4 wingnuts up behind the brake pedal took about half an hour to reach. Everything else was a piece of cake.

I also spent some time grinding rust off of the driver side rocker panel, then hitting it with primer for now. I'll work on the passenger side tomorrow. Little by little!!

Woodie
Elite Member

April 20th, 2013, 10:57 am #58

GeoStalker wrote:Pretty straightforward, although 1 of the 4 wingnuts up behind the brake pedal took about half an hour to reach.
I thought the wingnut behind the brake pedal was the guy doing the wrenching and writing.

:lol
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be the name of a convenience store, not a government agency.

flea
Elite Member

April 20th, 2013, 3:11 pm #59

I know it's been a while, but I'm getting back on my feet again. Kidney stones suck...especially impacted ones.

But I'm going to one of my favorite pull-a parts and while checking I noticed they have an 88 Sprint listed. Is there anything that I could look for while I'm there? I live in Cleveland.

Flea

geo pet
Elite Member

April 20th, 2013, 6:09 pm #60

nothing like a new windshield , had one put in mine , bonus is , you get a tinted top section with the new ones that wasn't present with the factory one . good work so far , keep us posted
it's a "geo thang "
Kiss my ass ......I'm savin gas !!!
My other car is a Metro