Hi there My New 190 1990

gillygogz

August 17th, 2014, 10:21 am #1

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3344_n.jpg

Hi guys this is my new purchase as of yesterday, as you can see its very low and is something im gonna try and rectify.

im used to driving low cars but iv never had the bouncy effect quite as bad as this, its smooth on A roads and Motorways but as soon as i hit residential roads that are uneven and what not im bouncing all over the place, (i live in brighton so the roads here arent brilliant) i believe its on Cut Lowering springs, im happy with the ride height but just need to make it a smoother ride, any ideas and even links of some options for me would be great. not sure what make springs but will be going out shortly to give the car a good looking over (pics to follow), im not to sure what things to look out for as this is only my second car, im hoping to learn as much as possible and hopefully soon it will be me being able to give the advice.

thankyou very much.

p.s any other 190 owners in the east sussex area?

Daliscar
Too Far Gone To Help

August 17th, 2014, 10:26 am #2

Hello and welcome..... yes, that certainly is low, it looks broken! It also looks like a tidy car,guess you're pleased with it. The first step to sorting the ride height is to find out what has been done! Do you know?

gillygogz

August 17th, 2014, 10:30 am #3

hello thanks for the speedy reply, yeah its on Cut Lowering Springs, (something iv never been a fan of) the ride is very stiff.

il be going out later to take some photos, which i can share to make it easier for people to diagnose some options for me, im sure there maybe other little problems aswell which i will make a note of

Talac2.6
Part of things

August 17th, 2014, 4:55 pm #4

If you like how it looks n got the spare wonga why not look at removing the struts and fitting air ride suspension? rockon

steveb
Part of things
steveb
Part of things

August 17th, 2014, 5:06 pm #5

hello and welcome, nice lowriderare they no speed humps in your area? :$

gillygogz

August 17th, 2014, 5:52 pm #6

air ride is too out of my budget in fairness, iv seen BMW e36 front coilovers might fit, is this true?
if not i will just purchase some H+R lowering springs and struts.

iv also just got back from inspecting, and so far the list of jobs so far from what iv noticed

New Lowering Springs/Struts
New Rear Tyres
Standard wheel bolts for rear wheels so as i can do away with the spacers.
New rear indicator Bulb
Front and Rear discs inc Pads

The speedo doesnt work so would like to know how to get that working again?
The engine bay looks fairly tidy, checked all the fluid levels, engine oil looks like it could do with topping up (which engine oil does this vehicle take) when i checked the dipstick even though the gauge on the dash says its level is fine.

The underneath of the car looks a tad damp in places and the rear diff looks like it could need some love but im way out my depth with things such as gearboxes/diffs/head gaskets and clutches etc so
Too be honest id appreciate someone who knows what to look for to give it a good looking over for me, im prepared to look after this car as much as possible, so i do plan to fix everything correctly. iv learnt from my previous car its not gonna happen over night but do very much look forward to working on this 190e

on the plus side, it fired up straight away with no problems.

some photos i took below

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5556_n.jpg

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... e=545DD8C9

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 0560_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9020_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4ae934defb

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9831_n.jpg

eagle3
Therapy Needed

August 17th, 2014, 5:59 pm #7

Yes a wee bit too low. :P
1992 2.6 Automatic

JesterG40
Part of things

August 17th, 2014, 6:01 pm #8

Interested to know how this car even moves that low, surely the wheels rub on turning and bumps - does look quite cool though. B)

I'm not sure you'll be able to achieve the same height of a bought kit, hence why most people cut the springs.

Oil burner
More than part of things

August 17th, 2014, 7:14 pm #9

Hi welcome to the forum. There is lots of members to help you with you recent 190 purchase. I don't want to alarm you but the engine bay photo, it looks like the top shock rubber mount is broken.
190d 2.5 auto wrote off 27 may 2016

FloodIC
Part of things

August 17th, 2014, 7:46 pm #10

Wow. That's low. How can you get over ramps lol

stwat
Wearing Hotpants

August 17th, 2014, 8:00 pm #11

Hello and welcome.

1989 300 SE 75,000 miles and counting...
1992 190E 1.8 project car and 190 number four of the stwat ownership. Sold
1988 190E 2.3-16 manual ASD. 168,000+.....Gone but not forgotten
1988 190e 2.6l Auto. 163.000+ miles. Sold
1989 190E 2.0l Auto. First merc, sold many moons ago
Location-Sheffield

gillygogz

August 17th, 2014, 8:02 pm #12

yeah its too low, not driving it atm, its off the road.

iv been looking at these?

anyone heard or even had these before

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performan ... -rear-40mm

really keen to fix the speedometer too as the pin doesnt move

thankyou for the comments

Daliscar
Too Far Gone To Help

August 17th, 2014, 8:28 pm #13

really keen to fix the speedometer too as the pin doesnt move ...................... Do you mean the orange needle, the bit that points to what speed youare moving at?
Does the speedometer clock and miles, could be the speedo head. Most likely the cable.

gillygogz

August 17th, 2014, 8:49 pm #14

yeah iv seeen a cable which is hanging loose, it goes up through side of the engine then in towards the back of the dash, if this cable is broken which im sure it is as it doesnt lead anywhere will the miles not be being clocked

thankyou

and is this an easy fix?

Mick261c
More than part of things

August 17th, 2014, 9:31 pm #15

Hi and welcome, no they won't be clocking up, your car is nice mate...but a tad too low.

Daliscar
Too Far Gone To Help

August 17th, 2014, 10:20 pm #16

Fairly easy, bit fiddly and time consuming if you have not done one before, as with a lot of 190 jobs !
You need a new cable, of course, or a good s/h hand one. Maybe a search on this forum will find one.
That's the first bit. ;)

gillygogz

August 18th, 2014, 5:37 am #17

Ah thankyou, with funds being low atm I'm going to have to hold out for a couple of weeks, new lowering springs are priority, then rear tyres 190 45 16s.
until then a nice good clean of the engine bay/inside car for now. Thank you for all the comments.

rr19991029

August 18th, 2014, 5:19 pm #18

You might have to budget for an new exhaust as well, surprised it's not badly damaged with that ride height.

bordercomet
Part of things

August 18th, 2014, 5:42 pm #19

The exhaust certainly looks like it's had a hard life:

pic from earlier

:crying:

twopointsix
Addicted

August 18th, 2014, 7:54 pm #20

Oil burner wrote:Hi welcome to the forum. There is lots of members to help you with you recent 190 purchase. I don't want to alarm you but the engine bay photo, it looks like the top shock rubber mount is broken.
It also looks like there's some major corrosion on the nearside strut mount, although I do hope not. You would be well advised to have a good poke around this area with a screwdriver. If this was my car, I'd remove the front n/s wheel, the inner wheel arch liner and have a close look at this area from underneath. Any corrosion here is a structural defect, is potentially dangerous and would be a fail on the next MOT. Fingers crossed it's OK.

twopointsix
[color][size][font]

Near Lancaster, Lancashire

1992 2.6 auto. brilliant silver. orion grey leather: sports chassis, totally standard: 113k miles
SOLD
2005 W203 320CDI Elegance SE estate 113k miles

gillygogz

August 18th, 2014, 8:26 pm #21

hi again, yes well spotted, there has been some sort of weld made on the nearside strut mount. iv just contacted the previous owner and he said this was there when he purchased the car too. im going to have to inspect it thoroughly as im very worried about it. i cant see how this has happened, things really arent looking good! iv also noticed there to be oil mixed in with the coolant! im getting very worried as you can imagine.

iv been given a contact number of a very good mechanic so when i get the new springs and tyres i will be taking the vehicle over to him so he can inspect it properly.

fingers crossed it can all be resolved, i hope i havent wasted my money, was so happy when i picked this up, and now its starting to make me very nervous.

the exhaust will be getting replaced but its the least of my worries atm

thanks again everyone for all the help.

jsto
Part of things

August 19th, 2014, 7:40 pm #22

Oil burner wrote:Hi welcome to the forum. There is lots of members to help you with you recent 190 purchase. I don't want to alarm you but the engine bay photo, it looks like the top shock rubber mount is broken.
Hi mate, nice looking car. I have to agree about the nearside strut top mount not looking right though in this pic...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9020_n.jpg

There should'nt be that large gap between the top mount and the rectangular gold coloured plate above it . It should be flush with the top of the mount.

Luckily they are only about £15 quid each and easy to replace.

AndyBoroFC
Addicted

August 19th, 2014, 8:04 pm #23

Firstly, hello and welcome!

Looks like you haven't much to worry about with the front strut top. It seems in the photo above that it has a good strong seam weld around it. Its quite common on lowered 190s, the strut tower is spot welded to the inner wing, and covered by seam sealer. On lowered and stiffened 190s, the spot welds can come out, letting grot in. It does seem that it's already been sorted and just needs a bit of tidying. I agree on the strut top mounts though, they need doing. I've been looking today, as the ones on mine are borked, top quality uprated ones on eBay are £45 a pair delivered with a 4 year guarantee. I'll be going for a pair of them. There is a good tutorial on how to fit them in the suspension section on here.

The 60/40 springs you mention should still give you a decent drop and give you a better ride. You mention oil and water mixing, is it a black oil slick inside the coolant tank? Or as mayonnaise type substance on the oil cap and dipstick? Oil slick in the coolant tank is usually a corroded head. Mayo on the oil cap and dipstick can sometimes just be condensation due to little use. Is it misfiring, overheating, steaming from the exhaust ?

By the look of it, you haven't paid a massive fortune for the car, with a few small jobs hopefully it will come good.
1991 1.8 man. Signal Red. Sportline chassis and interior. Owned 2004-06
1993 2.0 man. Nutria Brown. Lowered 40mm. Lorinser dished 15 hole rims. Owned 2007-09
1992 2.0 auto. Bornite. Sportline chassis. Mushroom leather, Zender spoiler. Owned 2009-10
1990 2.6 auto. Signal Red. Sportline chassis, Black leather. Owned 2011-12
1993 1.8 man. Nutria Brown. Pensioner spec! Lowered 40mm. 15" AMG reps. Owned 2013-14
1993 2.6 auto. Bornite. Sportline chassis. Mushroom leather. Owned 2014-date

jsto
Part of things

August 19th, 2014, 8:10 pm #24

AndyBoroFC wrote:Firstly, hello and welcome!

Looks like you haven't much to worry about with the front strut top. It seems in the photo above that it has a good strong seam weld around it. Its quite common on lowered 190s, the strut tower is spot welded to the inner wing, and covered by seam sealer. On lowered and stiffened 190s, the spot welds can come out, letting grot in. It does seem that it's already been sorted and just needs a bit of tidying. I agree on the strut top mounts though, they need doing. I've been looking today, as the ones on mine are borked, top quality uprated ones on eBay are £45 a pair delivered with a 4 year guarantee. I'll be going for a pair of them. There is a good tutorial on how to fit them in the suspension section on here.

The 60/40 springs you mention should still give you a decent drop and give you a better ride. You mention oil and water mixing, is it a black oil slick inside the coolant tank? Or as mayonnaise type substance on the oil cap and dipstick? Oil slick in the coolant tank is usually a corroded head. Mayo on the oil cap and dipstick can sometimes just be condensation due to little use. Is it misfiring, overheating, steaming from the exhaust ?

By the look of it, you haven't paid a massive fortune for the car, with a few small jobs hopefully it will come good.
If you after some strut top mounts Andy try Wunderpartz. Got them for £12 each including delivery. The brand was Trucktec (made in Germany) and they seem good quality.

AndyBoroFC
Addicted

August 19th, 2014, 10:10 pm #25

That's who I thought of first James. I was intending to get a pair from him, so had a look on his eBay shop, but he only seems to have one in stock. Both of mine are completely buggered. They've split completely around the top, so the top of the mount and the strut are actually lifting through the top of the strut tower over bumps. Scary! Mine being a sportline and having the 'big block' engine, I reckoned Id be better off with the uprated German jobs. Even the Febi bilstein ones are £23 a side posted on eBay, which didn't seem too bad.
1991 1.8 man. Signal Red. Sportline chassis and interior. Owned 2004-06
1993 2.0 man. Nutria Brown. Lowered 40mm. Lorinser dished 15 hole rims. Owned 2007-09
1992 2.0 auto. Bornite. Sportline chassis. Mushroom leather, Zender spoiler. Owned 2009-10
1990 2.6 auto. Signal Red. Sportline chassis, Black leather. Owned 2011-12
1993 1.8 man. Nutria Brown. Pensioner spec! Lowered 40mm. 15" AMG reps. Owned 2013-14
1993 2.6 auto. Bornite. Sportline chassis. Mushroom leather. Owned 2014-date