QCA8172 atheros lan card network driver?

MikeBa2
MikeBa2

February 21st, 2018, 4:41 pm #1

Good day! It seems that there is no hardware driver at the MenuetOS for QCA8172 ethernet lan card
because it's just not working 🤔. But I know there is 100% open source C driver at the Linux kernel,
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/alx ==> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/tree/ ... theros/alx
and by the way this driver also support 6 other lan network cards so it could be useful for many MenuetOS users

Please tell, when are you going to introduce QCA8172 lan card driver to the MenuetOS ?

I see that maybe you don't care about the users of this card if you don't have it by yourself.
Maybe MenuetOS already has a driver for some other similar Qualcomm / Atheros lan card ?
If yes, could you please publicly share this driver so that I could try to make it compatible with QCA8172 ?
I understand that you'd like to keep MenuetOS as closed source and keep doing everything by yourself, however
some hardware-related parts could be outsourced to the willing volunteers like me if you don't have enough time

Best regards,
Mike

MikeBa2
MikeBa2

March 15th, 2018, 3:22 pm #2

Still no reply for more than 3 weeks already... Are these forums dead or dying? :(

villemt
Advanced Member
villemt
Advanced Member

March 20th, 2018, 5:27 pm #3

Hello Mike and sorry for the delay. We don't have a network driver for QCA8172, but if you are willing to write it and there are no license infringements from the source then I'll add that to the Menuet code-base.

MikeBa2
MikeBa2

March 22nd, 2018, 3:02 pm #4

villemt wrote: Hello Mike and sorry for the delay. We don't have a network driver for QCA8172, but if you are willing to write it and there are no license infringements from the source then I'll add that to the Menuet code-base.
Thank you for reply, @villemt ! Well, it is a bit discouraging you don't have the QCA8172 driver,
and after some researching it seems that its too difficult for me to write such a driver, - especially
without knowing the internal structure of MenuetOS and without any access to its' source code
(not to mention that my knowledge of x86 assembly is limited to some old university courses)

If I understand it correctly, the only reason you are keeping the MenuetOS as 100% proprietary
closed source, is to earn money on it at some point of time. If that is indeed so, it is your chance:
I could pay a reasonable amount of money to you if you could develop this QCA8172 driver !
You are the only person in the world who has an access to the Menuet code-base,
and you are already familiar with it, so it should be quite easy for you to develop

I am assuming that you have created all the other Menuet network drivers by yourself. Is it true?
If yes, please tell me how much time is usually required to develop an Ethernet driver,
what is a size of your hourly wage, and let me see if that is within my financial reach

Best regards,
Mike

villemt
Advanced Member
villemt
Advanced Member

March 26th, 2018, 9:52 am #5

Hello Mike, A couple of other Menuet projects will keep me busy for a few weeks. Perhaps somebody else can help you ? The driver sources are over here: http://menuetos.net/64bit.htm

MikeBa2
MikeBa2

April 19th, 2018, 10:37 am #6

villemt wrote: Hello Mike, A couple of other Menuet projects will keep me busy for a few weeks. Perhaps somebody else can help you ? The driver sources are over here: http://menuetos.net/64bit.htm
Hello Ville,

These existing drivers are all for the PCI cards, but QCA8172 chip is connected through the PCI express.
I am not even sure if Menuet supports PCI express or not... Also, in any case it is impossible to find a person
who is more knowledgeable about Menuet than you. Even if you would release the full source code of Menuet,
I am sure no-one except you would be able to understand it - that huge collection of low level assembly lines!
This is why I am asking for your assistance, and hope that you could do the paid development of that driver.
If that will be within my financial reach of course (please give me an approximate price quote to estimate)

Best regards,
Mike