WHO KNEW???

WHO KNEW???

Jan Fuchs
Jan Fuchs

September 16th, 2004, 6:13 pm #1

I just found out the station is gone, five years after the fact. In 1999 my mother Muriel Fuchs passed away and I haven't been back to the County since. I enjoyed the early years of WRKL when I was a boy living off of rte 306... the flavor was so local...the ads, the school menus, etc... As a kid at Camp Hill they took us for a trip to the station...at the time I seem to recall it was just a trailer, later a building was constructed. Nothing these days can touch the hometown feeling invoked. My mom would listen frequently if she was around the house. Sorry to hear the instituion is gone. What are Rocklanders doing nowadays???...listening to the conglomarate corporate stuff piped in from wherever???? The county has changed, too... but what hasn't. Regards to all who enjoyed the County in its' formative decades... JAN FUCHS

Norm Van Anden
Norm Van Anden

July 24th, 2005, 4:10 am #2

Oy! How I remember those school lunch menus from when I had to fill in for Pete Brooks. All you had to work from was a file folder with the mimeographed "nenus" from each school district. But eh highlight was when I took Marie Kidney to a concert ny Englenbert Humperdinck (Hey, it was 1973 and he was a fave of hers!) at the Nanuet theatre in the round. Anyway, his opening act was a comment and I remember his "localized" joke:
I don't want to say Rockland County is smal but it only has two radio stations ... WKQW which has at the top of its Top 40 'Johnny Ray and Cry' and WRKL whose claim to fame is broadcasting the school lunch menus.
Additionally during that period I created some self-parody promos. They all statrted from the management dictated "WRKL, New City New York. The leading station in the hation for local political coverage." That was based on having won a Peabody Award for local radio coverage of the 1972 presidential election.
From there we cot (via edited tapes) Steve Possell saying "Wrkl, New City NY. The leading station in the nation for ... (Pete Brooks} the school lunch menus." Followed by a nonsensical menu he made up because it was Holloween and ending with "and probably a tummyache for desert."
Yes, those were the days.

Diane Eardley
Diane Eardley

April 14th, 2006, 6:38 pm #3

I just found out the station is gone, five years after the fact. In 1999 my mother Muriel Fuchs passed away and I haven't been back to the County since. I enjoyed the early years of WRKL when I was a boy living off of rte 306... the flavor was so local...the ads, the school menus, etc... As a kid at Camp Hill they took us for a trip to the station...at the time I seem to recall it was just a trailer, later a building was constructed. Nothing these days can touch the hometown feeling invoked. My mom would listen frequently if she was around the house. Sorry to hear the instituion is gone. What are Rocklanders doing nowadays???...listening to the conglomarate corporate stuff piped in from wherever???? The county has changed, too... but what hasn't. Regards to all who enjoyed the County in its' formative decades... JAN FUCHS
I think I went to school with you, Jan. We didn't live far off Route 306 in Pomona. I went to Camp Hill, too. I think when I left Rockland in 1986, WRKL was still in that trailer-type building that was next door to Dr. Keenan's vet office.

JAN FUCHS
JAN FUCHS

July 29th, 2006, 1:47 pm #4

HI DIANE: Yes I do remember you and it is flattering to be remembered by you these many years later. In fact I can picture you as you were at Grandview Elementary school in the mid-late 1960s...a cute skinny girl... Just last weekend (7/22/06) there was the Ramapo HS 30th year reunion for the class of 76. I flew in to NYC for a visit and then made it up to Rockland for the first time in years...and had a really good time, perhaps surprisingly. I don't know when if ever you'll pick up this message....How did it come that you found this thread in the first place? Please send an email and let me know how things are going...who you may be in touch with, etc... Regards, JAN FUCHS

Jeff Curry
Jeff Curry

December 25th, 2006, 12:11 am #5

I think I went to school with you, Jan. We didn't live far off Route 306 in Pomona. I went to Camp Hill, too. I think when I left Rockland in 1986, WRKL was still in that trailer-type building that was next door to Dr. Keenan's vet office.
You still alive and kickin? I'd like to chat with you if you've ever forgiven me for my bad behavior. I'm livin in Tulsa OK. What a gas. Please write back. Jai Guru