Rockland County <other> radio station question...

Rockland County <other> radio station question...

Kato
Kato

December 25th, 2001, 7:16 pm #1

Folks, first of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I used to be a long time resident of Rockland County, and have listened to WRKL endlessly! It was a great community radio station, that filled us in with what was going on in the county, and then some...

I have been asking around, "what was the other radio station that used to broadcast from behind the old caldor shopping center in nanuet, off of route 59?"

The three Radio Towers still are standing there, and on each tower there used to be the calkl letters, the station itself was transformed into night clubs, restaurants, carpet stores etc...

What was the call letters, the dial numbers, and when did it exist, and end?

anyone know, please help.... email me.

cheers,
Kato

KIOTR Jr.
KIOTR Jr.

December 26th, 2001, 1:16 pm #2

Kato, Rockland county's other station was initially licensed as WRRC (Rockland radio corp). There are examples of that station on the second page of the KIOTR Jr. site (Just hit "go back" at the top of the message board and go to the second page). The station, due in large part to it's limited signal, failed. It reemerged as WKQW, moving from the large building to a much smaller "garage" in front of the old studio site. That station also failed after a period of time and eventually reemerged as WGRC. It later became WLIR and currently is called WRCR (http://www.radiorockland.com/). Today it's operating from the three origional towers located between West Nyck Rd & Rt 59, in Nanuet. The station still operates at 500 watts daytime and is directional to the west northwest. The history I've provided is not very detailed, but is an overview of their history. During their time on the air the station has gone through numerous formats and periods on and off the air. Steve Possell, long time WRKL personality is now doing morning drive on WRCR.

oldtimer
oldtimer

December 26th, 2001, 7:31 pm #3

WRRC came on the air in 1965. Don't know when it went off and became WKQW, but WKQW went off in 1974. 1300 was silent until December (I think) 1977 (the year I'm sure of), returning to the air as WGRC. WGRC played "mellow gold", or so they said. At some point in the late 1980's, the station was renamed WLIR. For a while back then they simulcast WLIR-FM from Garden City (Long Island), NY. That didn't last either, and the station was transferred to another owner who broadcast almost 100% Jewish programming. Then the previous owner found out that the check they were paid with was of the rubber variety, and the courts got involved. In the meantime, the station continued with its ethnic programming. How Jewish was it? Well, the station signed off the air for the Jewish high holidays one year, something frowned upon by the FCC.
Years later the courts finally awarded the station back to the previous owner; we're talking mid 1990's now. This owner was still looking for a buyer, and found one. The station changed hands again in 2000, and subsequently became known as WRCR.

When WRKL was around, the station never really had a chance to capture much of a Rockland audience looking for local news & information. Nowadays though, it's a different story, since they are the only game in town.

And that's the story.

Dave
Dave

January 5th, 2002, 8:12 am #4

Folks, first of all, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I used to be a long time resident of Rockland County, and have listened to WRKL endlessly! It was a great community radio station, that filled us in with what was going on in the county, and then some...

I have been asking around, "what was the other radio station that used to broadcast from behind the old caldor shopping center in nanuet, off of route 59?"

The three Radio Towers still are standing there, and on each tower there used to be the calkl letters, the station itself was transformed into night clubs, restaurants, carpet stores etc...

What was the call letters, the dial numbers, and when did it exist, and end?

anyone know, please help.... email me.

cheers,
Kato
Both WRRC and WKQW sounded very professional from what I remember. Played Top 40 hits complete with custom made Pepper Tanner jingle packages and ABC Information Radio news. Names of DJ's I remember from "KQ" were Bob Brady, Al Mendleson, Don Moline and THE Howard Hoffman! (he was probably about 17 at the time). The stations were doomed because of the very weak signal. It seemed the staff was given just hours notice of the demise of the staion because they spent the afternoon making fun of the music and ABC news personalities because at sundown they were out of a job! Even Bruce Holman from RKL was there to party!
One of the jingles - "together with Rockland, Orange, Bergen, WKQW 1500" Too bad they didn't reach most parts of those counties!

Rich Komonchak
Rich Komonchak

January 10th, 2002, 10:46 pm #5

That was another of the jingles from 1300-land. The station did sound quite professional. RKL News Director John Russell once told me that the tighter the production got at KQ, the looser Pete Brooks would run his board! KQ actually had TWO incarnations -- the original KQ was owned by Rockland Radio Corp (the WRRC folks.) The station went dark briefly and then was brought back (again as KQ) by Bill Littauer -- a NYC newsman. He worked at WINS and WPIX TV, among other places. The original KQ was apparently well bankrolled. It even had at least one mobile unit -- a Chevy Corvair with an orange "bubble gum" light on the roof. And I remember they once did a Marti remote broadcast from the (brand new) Nanuet Mall!

Tom Daniels
Tom Daniels

January 19th, 2002, 4:29 am #6

Kato, Rockland county's other station was initially licensed as WRRC (Rockland radio corp). There are examples of that station on the second page of the KIOTR Jr. site (Just hit "go back" at the top of the message board and go to the second page). The station, due in large part to it's limited signal, failed. It reemerged as WKQW, moving from the large building to a much smaller "garage" in front of the old studio site. That station also failed after a period of time and eventually reemerged as WGRC. It later became WLIR and currently is called WRCR (http://www.radiorockland.com/). Today it's operating from the three origional towers located between West Nyck Rd & Rt 59, in Nanuet. The station still operates at 500 watts daytime and is directional to the west northwest. The history I've provided is not very detailed, but is an overview of their history. During their time on the air the station has gone through numerous formats and periods on and off the air. Steve Possell, long time WRKL personality is now doing morning drive on WRCR.
Greetings, RKL alumni. I, too, am a veteran of RKL; but interestingly enough I am also a veteran of several generations of Rockland's "other" station. I joined WGRC in 1981 and stayed through its demise in 1986, when I joined WRKL. (Best radio year of my life!) (Tapes available). After leaving AM91 (sigh) and a brief hiatus, I rejoined what was then WLIR-AM. That career move "died" when the station went to Jewish owner/operators. But like the phoenix, it came back three and a half years later when the station owner called and said the courts gave him the keys, and he need "a few good men."

Inabilty to draw attention to itself...it will always be the legacy of AM1300. Having been a part of that station for so many years in so many "generations," I have seen its own history repeat itself. The lack of a fully dedicated news team; a majority of unprofessional announcers (Steve Possell is NOT an unprofessional); an equally un-dedicated sales force; and a signal pattern that does more for Orange and Bergen Counties than for Rockland are what the station is constantly stuck with. During the period in which WLIR was embroiled in court, a new transmitter was installed. But not new towers. That is like hooking up a new engine to a rusted old car. What sense??

WRKL can never again be what it once was...but WRCR will NEVER replace it. It just cannot happen!

MIKE CONFIELD
MIKE CONFIELD

April 22nd, 2002, 2:26 am #7

I was a high school sports stringer(filing reports for WRKL AND WKQW) for Nanuet High School, around 1970..I was offered a "fulltime" sports summer job, by WKQW--so, I took it! A few days later, Joe Marsico, WRKL, also offered me a similar position. Well, I took the WKQW job(I lived in Nanuet)...1300AM had a great staff, great equipment, format, etc...it really was pretty much a signal issue, and the fact that WRKL was the county's original station. While doing news, and sports at WKQW, I always had the "want to be like or better than WRKL" in my mind--they set the standard for local news and sports.

Walter Kast
Walter Kast

May 17th, 2002, 5:21 pm #8

Greetings, RKL alumni. I, too, am a veteran of RKL; but interestingly enough I am also a veteran of several generations of Rockland's "other" station. I joined WGRC in 1981 and stayed through its demise in 1986, when I joined WRKL. (Best radio year of my life!) (Tapes available). After leaving AM91 (sigh) and a brief hiatus, I rejoined what was then WLIR-AM. That career move "died" when the station went to Jewish owner/operators. But like the phoenix, it came back three and a half years later when the station owner called and said the courts gave him the keys, and he need "a few good men."

Inabilty to draw attention to itself...it will always be the legacy of AM1300. Having been a part of that station for so many years in so many "generations," I have seen its own history repeat itself. The lack of a fully dedicated news team; a majority of unprofessional announcers (Steve Possell is NOT an unprofessional); an equally un-dedicated sales force; and a signal pattern that does more for Orange and Bergen Counties than for Rockland are what the station is constantly stuck with. During the period in which WLIR was embroiled in court, a new transmitter was installed. But not new towers. That is like hooking up a new engine to a rusted old car. What sense??

WRKL can never again be what it once was...but WRCR will NEVER replace it. It just cannot happen!
I met Norman Garfield when he hosted an Elderhostel class about Tevia.
We kept in touch by email after that (normim@????)until the isp he used was changed and I no longer had his address.
If you know of his whereabouts and you pass on my address I'm quite sure he will contact me and renew old aquaintances.
I'm not asking for his address in case he wants to remain totally secure and has heard enough from me.

If you can.................

Thanks,
Walter

Don Moline
Don Moline

June 11th, 2002, 10:15 pm #9

Both WRRC and WKQW sounded very professional from what I remember. Played Top 40 hits complete with custom made Pepper Tanner jingle packages and ABC Information Radio news. Names of DJ's I remember from "KQ" were Bob Brady, Al Mendleson, Don Moline and THE Howard Hoffman! (he was probably about 17 at the time). The stations were doomed because of the very weak signal. It seemed the staff was given just hours notice of the demise of the staion because they spent the afternoon making fun of the music and ABC news personalities because at sundown they were out of a job! Even Bruce Holman from RKL was there to party!
One of the jingles - "together with Rockland, Orange, Bergen, WKQW 1500" Too bad they didn't reach most parts of those counties!
Hi...this is Don Moline, and I am indeed one of the former members of the KQ air staff. And I remember that (first) final day when KQ went off the air all too well. We found out early in the afternoon when our bookkepper (Audrey Ginsberg of New City) brought out a prepared statement from the owner, Arthur Winn. It originally began "Due to a financial emergency, Rockland Radio Corp is suspending operation of WKQW...etc." But they decided to drop the word "financial" (like that was a big secret!!) Bob Brady and myself co-hosted the final few hours KQ was on the air. The final song we played was Mary Hopkins' "Goodbye." Bruce Holman from RKL was in the studio having a grand old time kidding us!!
We always did try to make the station sound as professional as possible and I personally thought we sounded great. But the listeners of Rockland always preferred the looser format of RKL. If KQ had a better signal, things could've been different. By the way, Bob Brady passed away a couple of years ago. And Howard Hoffman is, last I heard, production director at KABC in LA. And Mike Confield......Hi Connie!!!

Don Moline
Don Moline

June 11th, 2002, 10:25 pm #10

WRRC came on the air in 1965. Don't know when it went off and became WKQW, but WKQW went off in 1974. 1300 was silent until December (I think) 1977 (the year I'm sure of), returning to the air as WGRC. WGRC played "mellow gold", or so they said. At some point in the late 1980's, the station was renamed WLIR. For a while back then they simulcast WLIR-FM from Garden City (Long Island), NY. That didn't last either, and the station was transferred to another owner who broadcast almost 100% Jewish programming. Then the previous owner found out that the check they were paid with was of the rubber variety, and the courts got involved. In the meantime, the station continued with its ethnic programming. How Jewish was it? Well, the station signed off the air for the Jewish high holidays one year, something frowned upon by the FCC.
Years later the courts finally awarded the station back to the previous owner; we're talking mid 1990's now. This owner was still looking for a buyer, and found one. The station changed hands again in 2000, and subsequently became known as WRCR.

When WRKL was around, the station never really had a chance to capture much of a Rockland audience looking for local news & information. Nowadays though, it's a different story, since they are the only game in town.

And that's the story.
Just a quick correction...WRRC did come on the air in '65 and changed calls to WKQW in the latter 60s. It went off the air (the first time) around July 1970. Bill Littauer bought the station and brought it back with the WKQW calls on Friday August 13, 1971. It continued thru the early 70s and new ownership was pending (the same clowns who tried to buy it in '70 and the deal fell thru) when it went dark again in 1975.