I HAD to start a new thread, & FOOD for thought

I HAD to start a new thread, & FOOD for thought

Jeff Baker
Jeff Baker

November 22nd, 2002, 5:05 am #1

'cause that one below was running right off the screen and onto the table top.

As for where the R staffers recharged their batteries, the Italian Riviera, a pizza place in the (unnamed) shopping center just up 202 towards the parkway, got a lot of business. In that same strip was Jimmie's Restaurant and the Pantry Deli. Pantry always got the morning coffee & bagel business from us.

On the other side of the PIP was the Mt. Ivy Pub (actually still there--Karoke on Friday nights--oh boy!) had help wearing out the seats in its booths by R employees. I remember going down there one night in '78 during a blizzard. A bunch of us were pretty much stranded at the station, or, put it this way, if we'd have gotten home, we never would have made it back in in the morning. Followed the snowplow trucks to the intersection of 202 & 45. The Pub was still open, amazingly.

Another hangout was the "Our Gang Inn" in the Pacesetter Shopping Center. Speaking of Pacesetter, in '76 when they were pile-driving over there--that's right, they built on the swamp too--the records being played in the studio would jump with each stroke of the driver.

Somebody below mentioned that Mt. Ivy didn't have a stoplight back in the old days. That was before my time there, but I do remember the railroad tracks that cut diagonally across 202 and headed under the PIP overpass. Crossbucks were gone by 1975, but the rails remained for a while longer.

Okay--it's somebody else's turn!

Dave Saviet
Dave Saviet

November 22nd, 2002, 12:16 pm #2

We of the KIOTR & Jr websites are always looking for new audio/station memorabilia to post. If you have anything from your glorious past to share, send an e-mail to either Jeff or myself and we'll post it on the site. My e-mail address is: wksp@optonline.net

Rich Komonchak
Rich Komonchak

November 26th, 2002, 2:46 am #3

'cause that one below was running right off the screen and onto the table top.

As for where the R staffers recharged their batteries, the Italian Riviera, a pizza place in the (unnamed) shopping center just up 202 towards the parkway, got a lot of business. In that same strip was Jimmie's Restaurant and the Pantry Deli. Pantry always got the morning coffee & bagel business from us.

On the other side of the PIP was the Mt. Ivy Pub (actually still there--Karoke on Friday nights--oh boy!) had help wearing out the seats in its booths by R employees. I remember going down there one night in '78 during a blizzard. A bunch of us were pretty much stranded at the station, or, put it this way, if we'd have gotten home, we never would have made it back in in the morning. Followed the snowplow trucks to the intersection of 202 & 45. The Pub was still open, amazingly.

Another hangout was the "Our Gang Inn" in the Pacesetter Shopping Center. Speaking of Pacesetter, in '76 when they were pile-driving over there--that's right, they built on the swamp too--the records being played in the studio would jump with each stroke of the driver.

Somebody below mentioned that Mt. Ivy didn't have a stoplight back in the old days. That was before my time there, but I do remember the railroad tracks that cut diagonally across 202 and headed under the PIP overpass. Crossbucks were gone by 1975, but the rails remained for a while longer.

Okay--it's somebody else's turn!
Jeff,
Don't know how many other folks from the station went there, but when I was doing the AM drive news shift, I used to stop at the Colonel's Deli -- on Old Rt 202 (behind the Mt Ivy Pub) -- on my way home. And yes, I believe that deli's still there. "AND!!" -- to quote Johnny Mac -- along with the traffic light, Mt Ivy used to have a diner near where the Union State (?) bank now stands. One of the 'old timers' at the R told me that's one of the places they used to dine. Okay, 'nuff said ... gotta get back to work here.
Rich
Oh, by the way ... that was the "New Jersey and New York Railroad" And it terminated in ... THIELLS!

Jeff Baker
Jeff Baker

November 27th, 2002, 4:38 am #4

Yeah, The Colonel's Deli. They used to be a sponsor. Of course, getting eating establishments to advertise was easy. Getting them to PAY was another matter.

Happy Thanksgiving.